Tigers to host England A v Scotland A

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers to host England A v Scotland A

Post by JP14 »

I think Muir has a decent chance, unless he wants to play for Team GB, or is it too late for that now?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Attempting to second guess Eddie Jones is somewhat tricky... But do you think he will pick a relatively similar ‘A’ side to the full team?

I don’t see players like Genge, Stuart, Ludlam, Earl, Marchant, Joseph, Malins being picked to play Scotland A as they’ve all been involved in the senior squad.

*Edit: Earl and Malins will probably be involved with the Premiership Final, leaving a straight shootout between Parton and Steward for the 15 shirt.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

JP14 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:12 am Could just be tokenism on the RFU’s part, but I can see why they have done it. Gonna have to do a lot more than make a name change (or you know having a quiet word with Exeter would be nice), but the name Saxons could have connotations of racial exclusivity linked to the wrong belief of small minority in this country who believe that race & ethnicity is the only factor that always will define one’s nationality.

I can see the traditionalism in having the name ‘England A’, but they could have been a bit more imaginative.
England Badgers?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Steward's defence and superior aerial ability should see him be above Parton, not saying the latter doesn't deserve to be in and around England squads.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I reckon George McGuigan (formerly of this parish) will be in with a good shout of being involved either for the A team or for the full team.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:54 pm I reckon George McGuigan (formerly of this parish) will be in with a good shout of being involved either for the A team or for the full team.
McGuigan has been very good this season. He's a player that I've rated but also frustrated me. He would look brilliant for half an hour making turnovers like a flanker and carry strongly then he'd just seem to disappear and drift out the game a bit. He's been more consistent this season I think.

I really like Blamire at Falcons too. He seems to have all the raw ingredients to be a very good hooker.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Blamire has been capped at England U20s level, I notice he's Cumbrian born and bred but the surname does sound Scottish in origin (I might be completely wrong of course)...
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I know this match is too early but I wonder if Hurd has a potential English or Scottish future.. played U 20s for Scotland but born in Ashby I think?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Saxons is just a word, it does not imply that to play for them you have to be any particular race or creed anymore than you have to be a fish to play for Sharks, or even a Saracen to play for you know who.
The Saxons, like the Danes, the Vikings, the Normans and many others were invaders of or immigrants to Britain over the centuries, the Scotti came from Ireland. The qualification to play for an international representative team are a bit confused but thankfully colour of skin is irrelevant, it is in the tradition of many clubs to have a name for their reserve team and there is nothing wrong with calling it the Extras or the A's or the B team but to change a perfectly good name for reasons of political correctness are bound to get up noses of some including me..
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mightymouse wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:55 am I know this match is too early but I wonder if Hurd has a potential English or Scottish future.. played U 20s for Scotland but born in Ashby I think?
Ashby lad with Scottish heritage. Needs to go from being third choice here to challenging for a starting berth if he wants to get any international attention. He looks a big and mobile bloke but pretty raw at present. Working with DC and our scrum coach who's done a good job this season should hopefully bring him on. Joe Heyes like performances are what he's got to aim for it he wants people to take notice.

I think RB has said it before and I've had to agree the scrum coach Harrison is currently the academy scrum coach and temporarily assisting the first team really should get the gig full time. I was worried when Stanko went but we've looked good at the set piece.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:07 am
mightymouse wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:55 am I know this match is too early but I wonder if Hurd has a potential English or Scottish future.. played U 20s for Scotland but born in Ashby I think?
Ashby lad with Scottish heritage. Needs to go from being third choice here to challenging for a starting berth if he wants to get any international attention. He looks a big and mobile bloke but pretty raw at present. Working with DC and our scrum coach who's done a good job this season should hopefully bring him on. Joe Heyes like performances are what he's got to aim for it he wants people to take notice.

I think RB has said it before and I've had to agree the scrum coach Harrison is currently the academy scrum coach and temporarily assisting the first team really should get the gig full time. I was worried when Stanko went but we've looked good at the set piece.
Your last sentence echos my thoughts exactly. Our second and third choice front rows had no problems with Sale!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Stanko worked with all levels of the club, it could be that he was tutoring Harrison as well as the Academy and it has brought the best out of the latter, which has benefitted us quite well.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Couple of people on the unofficial site said they have got tickets for this game. Anyone know where they are for sale. ?
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:36 pm Stanko worked with all levels of the club, it could be that he was tutoring Harrison as well as the Academy and it has brought the best out of the latter, which has benefitted us quite well.
Harrison isn't a rookie according to LinkedIn he's been doing some form of coaching or another since 2013. I wonder if knowing we had him doing the business with the academy and Loughborough University was behind us agreeing to let Stanko move on.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/tom-harrison ... erformance

Seems a man prime for continued work with Tigers at all levels.

Attack coach is the concern. Matt Smith doesn't have the same years of experience and isn't working with something that's in place and largely working well. He's also academy head coach so has a bit on his plate. We definitely need an addition in that department soon.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 am Saxons is just a word, it does not imply that to play for them you have to be any particular race or creed anymore than you have to be a fish to play for Sharks, or even a Saracen to play for you know who.
The Saxons, like the Danes, the Vikings, the Normans and many others were invaders of or immigrants to Britain over the centuries, the Scotti came from Ireland. The qualification to play for an international representative team are a bit confused but thankfully colour of skin is irrelevant, it is in the tradition of many clubs to have a name for their reserve team and there is nothing wrong with calling it the Extras or the A's or the B team but to change a perfectly good name for reasons of political correctness are bound to get up noses of some including me..
Spot on as usual John.
Are tickets available for this game and if so from where?
Cheers.
Soggypitch