Refereeing Consistency

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Refereeing Consistency

Post by Crofty »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:12 pm You’re forgetting this is PRL we’re talking about, I doubt there will be any repercussion for this unfortunately.
True that. A man can dream though, man can dream...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Events of and relating to the weekend of Premiership Round 21 show that 'Refereeing Consistency' is just a 'pipe dream'....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I wonder if we could instigate a fan's league table for "sirs"..... And TMOs for that matter.

We are requested to rate players.......
Fan's favourite..... Who would be the fan's unfavourite!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:05 pm I wonder if we could instigate a fan's league table for "sirs"..... And TMOs for that matter.

Could be a race to the bottom :smt044
Refs may require ringfencing :smt044
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

fentiger wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:08 am
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:05 pm I wonder if we could instigate a fan's league table for "sirs"..... And TMOs for that matter.

Could be a race to the bottom :smt044
Refs may require ringfencing :smt044
It seems to many, myself included, that they already are...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

1. Barnes
2. Pearce
3. Smales

57. Tempest
58. Dickson
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Top 6 English refs - no5 will rub a few of you up the wrong way, but anyway...

1. Christophe Ridley - the most consistent, objective and focussed ref for a long while
2. Wayne Barnes - his comms, empathy and experience are an example to all refs
3. Matt Carley - set aside his whining comms he remains a great prospect if he improves
4. Andrew Jackson - the most underrated yet one of the most consistent and efficient refs
5. Ian Tempest* - methodical and great comms to keep the game flowing
6. Luke Pearce** - over hyped because his confidence and excess comms cons everyone he's in control, but he is good!

* every ref makes errors even in world cup finals, so I wouldn't judge a ref by one contentious end to what was a great game.
** and example of Luke's excess comms are his constant 'come on - use it' at nearly every breakdown, if you count how long the ball takes to get away then it's no shorter/longer than any other refs. Also at the scrum he is again nagging the front rows to hurry up, all that white noise to zero effect. Just a bit arrogant but is still a very good ref.

Potentially the best refs in the northern hemisphere - Andrew Brace (Ire) or Craig Evans (Wales).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

DingDong wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:26 am Top 6 English refs - no5 will rub a few of you up the wrong way, but anyway...

1. Christophe Ridley - the most consistent, objective and focussed ref for a long while
2. Wayne Barnes - his comms, empathy and experience are an example to all refs
3. Matt Carley - set aside his whining comms he remains a great prospect if he improves
4. Andrew Jackson - the most underrated yet one of the most consistent and efficient refs
5. Ian Tempest* - methodical and great comms to keep the game flowing
6. Luke Pearce** - over hyped because his confidence and excess comms cons everyone he's in control, but he is good!
Wouldn't disagree with that tbh.

I think it's often forgotten how many good refs and well reffed games there are because of the odd stinker.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I was quite impressed with Adam Leal in the Gloucester v Tigers match. He was not interrupted repeatedly by the tmo.
I would like to see more of him at Tigers. :smt023
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

apparently the TMO gets the TV commentary currently, this MUST change, they should NOT hear what the TV commentators are saying when making their decisions
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 pm apparently the TMO gets the TV commentary currently, this MUST change, they should NOT hear what the TV commentators are saying when making their decisions
Certainly not on the BT Sport Xtra matches where the commentary is provided by the home club or affiliates.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

None other than Rob Baxter wades into the debate. Normally have quite a bit of time for the man (his achievements,methods etc) but the comments are quite ironic considering exactly how Exeter have (to me at least) been officiated over the years and how they have benefited from this afore mentioned inconsistency .Like everyone else , say nothing re consistency if inconsistency is or has been consistently favorable to you.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ans-calls/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ments.html

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/premie ... ship-bans/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nothing but a whinging strop, as a former ex-player himself, he should know better. Perhaps if he had complained about the inconsistency in citing commissioners constantly citing yellow carded players like Kai Horstman did on Twitter I would have some sympathy.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni