QUINS (H) - ROUND 19 - 15th May 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: QUINS (H) - ROUND 19 - 15th May 2021

Post by BFG »

The whinging about the officials on this topic is an embarrassment.
I didn't see a lot wrong from the officials.
Leicester had a good first half and an awful second half.
Certain players are consistently below the level of intensity required.
Nadolo and Genge are very important players.
I can understand Genge' frustration with his yellow card, there was contact on the head but how is he supposed to enter the ruck safely against a player who's head height is potentially angling below the hips, it is rife throughout the game and every team is guilty.
The alternative is to wrap and twist the player off but then you risk twisting his ligaments.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 am The whinging about the officials on this topic is an embarrassment.
I can understand Genge' frustration with his yellow card, there was contact on the head but how is he supposed to enter the ruck safely against a player who's head height is potentially angling below the hips, it is rife throughout the game and every team is guilty.
The alternative is to wrap and twist the player off but then you risk twisting his ligaments.
Happy with the two missed forward passes/offloads that led to two of their trys then? Foley like Ridley the night before was awful,whole thing needs looking at again end of season. The ref is in charge not the TMO!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 am Certain players are consistently below the level of intensity required.
Are you able to enlighten us?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am
BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 am The whinging about the officials on this topic is an embarrassment.
Happy with the two missed forward passes/offloads that led to two of their trys then? Foley like Ridley the night before was awful,whole thing needs looking at again end of season. The ref is in charge not the TMO!
I would advocate what they do in the NRL- so much better.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:16 am
BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:00 am Certain players are consistently below the level of intensity required.
Yes I’m interested in this too! Off games now and then for certain players? Obviously,and that happens at every club. “Consistently” below the level of intensity required? There isn’t one in the regular squad I can think of. Can’t wait for this!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:18 am
Yes I’m interested in this too! Off games now and then for certain players? Obviously,and that happens at every club. “Consistently” below the level of intensity required? There isn’t one in the regular squad I can think of. Can’t wait for this!
My guess would be a pair of Youngs', Cole, Wells - they appear to be the ones that people have latched onto since Crane moved on.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I’m scratching my head too.. nobody springs to mind but I’m happy to be corrected if wrong :smt017
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:30 am

I’m scratching my head too.. nobody springs to mind but I’m happy to be corrected if wrong :smt017
There isn’t anyone. Every player has played their part. If I wanna get picky Taute or Bonilla 😜
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just want to add I thought Green was outstanding yesterday,best game in the shirt for me. And Wells and Martin weren’t far behind ,I bet both were close to 20 tackles a piece and both carried well too as well as bossing the maul.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

teds wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:14 am
JP14 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:27 pm
RichieB wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:12 pm I think Porter hasn’t had a great game.
Admittedly I missed 10 minutes or so of the second half but I thought he had a pretty good game.
Agreed. Off the top of my head I can only recall Porter make one “mistake”, when he was penalised for going straight off his feet, and the replay showed this was very questionable. Otherwise he did a lot of good work, especially in the chase of kick chase.

Also good to see some folks recognising Green. It was one of those games where you could see all the good defensive work he gets through.
There was the high ball drop on our 22 which brought on pressure. He really should have taken that. Otherwise he was solid. I'd have liked to see him come off his wing and look for work but appreciate that isn't normally the tactic for our right winger. Against a tricky Quins winger in Earle he did a good job.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'm happy, Leicester got a BP win.
I could understand having a bit of a whinge had Leicester lost but blimey you whinge so much that you'll soon need a secretary during matches.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm
I'm happy, Leicester got a BP win.
I could understand having a bit of a whinge had Leicester lost but blimey you whinge so much that you'll soon need a secretary during matches.
Who are these players who consistently don’t show up anyway? Don’t bottle it! It’s worth a debate I’d say
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I often whinge about refs in longlivethecrumbie's earhole during matches. He is gracious enough to correct me now and then. 😉
However I am righteously frustrated by TMO constant interventions and slo-mo replays. I am reminded of Wayne's refusal to take such at Wuss 4 years ago, a free flowing game and one of Shazams best. A polite but firm "no, I'm fine with my view/decision " was his audible commentary.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do hope to see Porter back at 12 or 13 again.
He can fill in at wing but he is vunerable there.

But he runs some really hard lines.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

jgriffin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:23 pm I often whinge about refs in longlivethecrumbie's earhole during matches. He is gracious enough to correct me now and then. 😉
However I am righteously frustrated by TMO constant interventions and slo-mo replays. I am reminded of Wayne's refusal to take such at Wuss 4 years ago, a free flowing game and one of Shazams best. A polite but firm "no, I'm fine with my view/decision " was his audible commentary.
Well said.
I know we might sound a bit "well in the good old days..." but I'm sure when TMOs were first introduced they could only contribute when asked to do so by the ref.

If the ref wanted to know what had happened they asked and otherwise the TMO stayed silent.

Their constant chirping is spoiling the game now and, I believe, undermining the authority of the referees. There should be one person in charge "Sir" and everyone else is there to support them. The TMOs need to understand they are there to serve the ref - not subvert "Sir's " authority by steering/coaching/or prompting them.

That said I can't imagine Nigel Owens putting up with the level of TMO chat we saw yesterday, so the refs too have a role to play in managing this. After all their jobs are at stake as the logical outcome is to do away with a ref on pitch and just have a jury of TMOs watching and re-watching the game on slo-mo replays. :smt012
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"