Game plan quirks

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Game plan quirks

Post by kpj tiger »

I think we are definitely building a more recognisable game plan under Borthwick but there are some things that we do that seem a bit odd that I think we seem to be doing,

Firstly kicking the ball long in field even though we have a decent lineout and wings who can compete, can't see what the logic is on this myself

Secondly I feel like we seem to have a policy of not competing at the breakdown outside of our 22, this may just be my perception but I think it may be a result of our poor penalty count

Has anybody else noticed these quirks or is it just me?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Game plan quirks

Post by sapajo »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:48 pm I think we are definitely building a more recognisable game plan under Borthwick but there are some things that we do that seem a bit odd that I think we seem to be doing,

Firstly kicking the ball long in field even though we have a decent lineout and wings who can compete, can't see what the logic is on this myself

Secondly I feel like we seem to have a policy of not competing at the breakdown outside of our 22, this may just be my perception but I think it may be a result of our poor penalty count

Has anybody else noticed these quirks or is it just me

Well as evidenced its abundantly clear that the game plan is give away as many penalties as you can, kick the ball away, turn over the ball at will.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:48 pm I think we are definitely building a more recognisable game plan under Borthwick but there are some things that we do that seem a bit odd that I think we seem to be doing,

Agree fully with this.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It’s not a gameplan,it’s dimwittedness during the game!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I suspect we are looking to keep the ball in the field of play as long as possible as we back our fitness and want to force the opposition into playing a lot of rugby particularly in the first half. We'll take losing the first half for a tired opposition in the second half we can put to the sword. See game Vs Ulster and to a lesser extent Connacht.

I think our issues at the breakdown aren't helped by Reffell and Wallace being injured. It may be that we are playing the percentages. Don't give away penalties if you can help it and give the opposition easy points or field position is probably why we don't compete much out of our 22. In our 22 a lot of consecutive phases normally mean tries so it's worth gambling on the turnover.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 pm

I suspect we are looking to keep the ball in the field of play as long as possible as we back our fitness and want to force the opposition into playing a lot of rugby particularly in the first half. We'll take losing the first half for a tired opposition in the second half we can put to the sword. See game Vs Ulster and to a lesser extent Connacht.

I think our issues at the breakdown aren't helped by Reffell and Wallace being injured. It may be that we are playing the percentages. Don't give away penalties if you can help it and give the opposition easy points or field position is probably why we don't compete much out of our 22. In our 22 a lot of consecutive phases normally mean tries so it's worth gambling on the turnover.
Agreed :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I also find it strange when we don’t compete at the lineout. I get it when we are defending on our own 5m line but that one late on against Sale in the first half.. it’s in their half and we’ve been attacking.. why not put pressure on the lineout? This happens a lot. Instead Sale secure easy uncontested possession, recycle and go on to almost score! Think we did it late on against Saints too
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 pm I also find it strange when we don’t compete at the lineout. I get it when we are defending on our own 5m line but that one late on against Sale in the first half.. it’s in their half and we’ve been attacking.. why not put pressure on the lineout? This happens a lot. Instead Sale secure easy uncontested possession, recycle and go on to almost score! Think we did it late on against Saints too
I presume percentages again. If you go up in the air and make any sort of contact with the opposition whilst competing its nearly always a penalty. Stay on the ground, hit them hard if they try to maul otherwise get off the line quick and defend.