Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Warren Gatland?!

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 pm
Dokie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:30 pm Lots of criticism of Warren’s appointment but no suggestions of an alternative. There’s no one who readily comes to my mind but I’m happy with his appointment.
Which is exactly why he got the job I think. He's a known quantity. He's done a competent job on the last two tours, well maybe excluding the first test Vs the All Blacks. Anyone else is taking a bit of a punt though I was really disappointed to see him snub Scott Robertson's offer to join the tour, given some of the options unavailable he could have been an incredible addition.

I can't say I rate Gatland particularly highly, I always felt that he leaned heavily on the Edwards defence especially as time went on for Wales. I think the one season with the Chiefs maybe showed up his lack of day to day coaching nous, after years on the international scene stepping back to club rugby even Super Rugby has different requirements. I don't think Chiefs fans are keen to see him return. I don't think he has any real chance of getting that All Black's job he desperately wants.
He's got less than ZERO chance of getting the AB job,I've already read some of the fans thoughts on that already!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Personally , I have no real issues with the appointment.It is easy to find negatives in anything and anybody and personal feelings result in differing opinions etc.Rather than the usual criticism how about some real and willing alternatives and not names pulled out of thin air.I cant exactly remember a clamour for the job or viable alternatives throwing their hats into the ring at the time of appointment.
I'm not a paid up member of the Gatland fan club,but certainly respect his achievements.In the chair for the Lions he has shown he can do the job, he has done the job and so is a decent choice for the job.
Who ever is at the helm , wish The Lions the best of luck in South Africa.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Had Ireland not faltered so much after 2018, I suspect Schmidt would have been more of an alternative. Whilst there’s the familiar in Gatland and Jenkins, the relatively new coaching team this time around does offer me some hope.

But regardless of result this should really be Gatland’s last tour.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

[/quote]
He's got less than ZERO chance of getting the AB job,I've already read some of the fans thoughts on that already!
[/quote]

I didn’t realise NZR chose their coaches by fan polls....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:27 am
[/quote]

[/quote]
You believe that they aren't aware of fans feelings and that they would go against a potential backlash?! Like I said,less than zero!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 pm
[/quote]
You believe that they aren't aware of fans feelings and that they would go against a potential backlash?! Like I said,less than zero!
[/quote]
Just out of interest, how much less than zero.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 pm
[/quote]
Just out of interest, how much less than zero.
[/quote]

Probably 56%
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I have a gut feeling that the upcoming tour will be a disaster. Townsend would be a better choice than Gatland, who is not the coach he once was. I hope I am wrong, but watch this space!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:56 pm I have a gut feeling that the upcoming tour will be a disaster. Townsend would be a better choice than Gatland, who is not the coach he once was. I hope I am wrong, but watch this space!
I worry about some of the fundamentals against South Africa. Difficult to replace Farrell and Borthwick in the two most important aspects of the Lions game. In my mind I don’t think there are many better for their respective roles, apart from possibly Edwards.