Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by Oskar59 »

Yeah sorry L14
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For anyone interested , Montpellier 's next game in the Top 14 is this Saturday Vs La Rochelle.A home fixture , kick off 16:45.
Interesting test.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:53 am For anyone interested , Montpellier 's next game in the Top 14 is this Saturday Vs La Rochelle.A home fixture , kick off 16:45.
Interesting test.
They won 32-22 but worth noting that La Rochelle rested the entire XV from their 32-23 semi-final win over Leinster
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Meanwhile, the Challenge Cup final meeting of Leicester Tigers and Montpellier at Twickenham Stadium on Friday week (21 May) will see Brace refereeing his second tournament decider in succession.

Brace will be assisted by Frank Murphy and Chris Busby, also of Ireland, with Brian McNeice as his TMO.

Challenge Cup final – Leicester Tigers v Montpellier
Friday 21 May – Twickenham Stadium (20.00)
Referee: Andrew Brace (Ire); Assistant referees: Frank Murphy (Ire), Chris Busby (Ire); TMO: Brian McNeice (Ire)
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm Meanwhile, the Challenge Cup final meeting of Leicester Tigers and Montpellier at Twickenham Stadium on Friday week (21 May) will see Brace refereeing his second tournament decider in succession.

Brace will be assisted by Frank Murphy and Chris Busby, also of Ireland, with Brian McNeice as his TMO.

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ire); Assistant referees: Frank Murphy (Ire), Chris Busby (Ire); TMO: Brian McNeice (Ire)
In my opinion this is the worse set of officials we could have had :( even if Murphy is ex of this parish
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm Meanwhile, the Challenge Cup final meeting of Leicester Tigers and Montpellier at Twickenham Stadium on Friday week (21 May) will see Brace refereeing his second tournament decider in succession.

In my opinion this is the worse set of officials we could have had :( even if Murphy is ex of this parish
Brace yourselves 🥴🥴
Semper in excretia
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

No surprises here. With English and French officials ruled out it was only ever likely to be given to Brace. At least it's not Adamson. Not too concerned by Brace - he's better than many of the referees we've had recently.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Brace is decent. Thank god Murphy isn’t in the middle, he’s dreadful!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

He speaks very highly of you :smt002
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Noggs wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:07 pm He speaks very highly of you :smt002
Probably because I’m a better ref than he is.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

And you probably are too!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dokie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 pm
At least he took it up and is putting something back, pity some posters on here don't take up reffing, they seem to know better, instead of calling refs out and blaming them for many of our own faults.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Could've been worse ,Lacey could still be reffing 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

LE18 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:33 pm
At least he took it up and is putting something back, pity some posters on here don't take up reffing, they seem to know better, instead of calling refs out and blaming them for many of our own faults.
I’ve posted many times on here how frustrated I feel when our contributors criticise the ref for every decision that doesn’t go our way. I’ve even shown support for Dickson, for whom it seems trendy to regard as the Antichrist (And yes I appreciate he didn’t have a great game last time he did us).
Yes, I have refereed for over 30 years and I have wondered what I might have achieved if circumstances had been such to have allowed me to look to climb the ladder.
I’d never criticise officials on a whim because I know how challenging a job it is but, at the same time, I will comment if I think they are below the required level. The refereeing in the GP is generally of a high level, though I don’t think Foley is good enough. It’s of a similar standard in the Pro 14 but Adamson and Murphy are consistently below the level of their colleagues but are awarded important games, which I don’t understand and find very frustrating.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:33 pm
I’ve posted many times on here how frustrated I feel when our contributors criticise the ref for every decision that doesn’t go our way. I’ve even shown support for Dickson, for whom it seems trendy to regard as the Antichrist (And yes I appreciate he didn’t have a great game last time he did us).
Yes, I have refereed for over 30 years and I have wondered what I might have achieved if circumstances had been such to have allowed me to look to climb the ladder.
I’d never criticise officials on a whim because I know how challenging a job it is but, at the same time, I will comment if I think they are below the required level. The refereeing in the GP is generally of a high level, though I don’t think Foley is good enough. It’s of a similar standard in the Pro 14 but Adamson and Murphy are consistently below the level of their colleagues but are awarded important games, which I don’t understand and find very frustrating.
I agree with this. Criticising the officials is an easy way of papering over the cracks, something Borthwick clearly isn't in the habit of doing so we fans should try and follow suit. I am guilty of jumping on the officials perhaps a little too quickly but my frustration is borne out of lack of consistency and overly eager TMOs. TMOs that try to run the game and dictate matters frustrates me and lack of consistency from one week to the next is annoying but the general standard is good you are right. Dickson and Foley are not in the same category as Barnes, Pearce et al but the general standard of the rest is good enough.

Perhaps when we find some consistency and confidence and start competing regularly at the right end of the table the negativity towards officials will reduce and we might start seeing a different mindset.