Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by Ian Cant »

Montpellier has had an interesting season. Until the last few weeks they had mixed results but for the last few weeks they’ve really put in some impressive performances. It will, therefore rank as one of our finest games if we can beat them.
What a final it could be.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Montpellier’s Form

Post by LE18 »

They looked extremely tough, rough and intense, hope we can match them.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by Robespierre »

Montpellier are currently 12th in the Top14 and aren’t out of the woods yet. They’ve got some tough fixtures in the next few weeks, home to La Rochelle, away to S Francais, and relegation rivals Bayonne(h) and Pau(a). Saffer fly half Handré Pollard is fit again and will be a boost to the team. They’re a side to be respected and are perfectly capable of beating Tigers.
Semper in excretia
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Battle of the packs. Who blinks first. Tough tough game ,but I am optimistic I think it will be down to who wants it most.
Do we want it most. It could just be the game that turns our fortunes.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Whatever way you look at it Montpellier are a team in fine form having won their last 6 matches beating Bath, Benetton, Glasgow, Stade Francais, Clermont, Agen.

They are more than capable of doing the same to us and shouldn’t be underestimated.

Bath were absolutely woeful yet it took the last kick of the game to put the tie to bed. They narrowly beat Benetton and Glasgow and the same against an under strength Stade side. Beating Clermont was an impressive scalp however Agen are bottom of the league and they would expect to win that.

So yes they have won their last 6 but most of those were against weakened sides, teams that didn’t turn up or sides they’d expect to beat. The results that stand out for me are against Glasgow (although the Glasgow red card on 59 minutes certainly helped) and Clermont.

Their results have been mixed for sure and they shouldn’t be underestimated but if we want this I believe it’s there for the taking.

COYT :smt041
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon May 03, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Betfair have Montpelier favourites at 5/6
Tigers 11/10
Handicap betting +1
Not a lot between the sides and should be close.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Watching the Bath match the kicking game of Ford Vs Pollard and penalties given away will be key.

Their defence was impressive but attack less so, so hope Ford is practicing his drop kicks.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Both teams capable of some impressive rugby, but equally both are capable of having a poor 40 minutes.

Looking forward to a really close final :smt023
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Montpellier's defence is what really impressed me in their game against Bath, especially just after half time.

I can't see the final being a high scoring game, and if we are to win, we will have to put in a heck of an attack.

The game will be decided, IMHO, by a try or a penalty. I guess it will be a close game. If we play like we did in the second half against Ulster, it might not be so close... let's hope! COYT!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I'll bet that the side that keeps the most on the pitch for the longest will win. Not going as a very small crowd in a very big stadium with a long drive back home after no beer doesn't fill me with the excitement it should. This will be the 1st final I have missed involving Tigers for over 30 years so socially distanced at the pub for meeeeeeee if open or at home with FTing my friends and watching it together.
Hehehehehehehehe
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

trendylfj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am I'll bet that the side that keeps the most on the pitch for the longest will win.
I fear you might be right. I hope for a less trigger-happy Sir. :) (And of course good discipline from the Tigers)
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Pellsey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 am Montpellier's defence is what really impressed me in their game against Bath, especially just after half time.

I can't see the final being a high scoring game, and if we are to win, we will have to put in a heck of an attack.

The game will be decided, IMHO, by a try or a penalty. I guess it will be a close game. If we play like we did in the second half against Ulster, it might not be so close... let's hope! COYT!
I concur, I don't see it being a high scoring affair. However, on Friday night Bath's attack was very telegraphed and poor, if we can just get a bit of variation the game could open a bit. If Montpellier are able to repel us as well as they did against Bath on their own line, then Tigers should move more to the centre and go for the drop or take the three to keep the scoreboard ticking, as if we keep getting in their 22 like Bath did the points should soon rack up.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:23 am
Pellsey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 am Montpellier's defence is what really impressed me in their game against Bath, especially just after half time.

I concur, I don't see it being a high scoring affair. However, on Friday night Bath's attack was very telegraphed and poor, if we can just get a bit of variation the game could open a bit. If Montpellier are able to repel us as well as they did against Bath on their own line, then Tigers should move more to the centre and go for the drop or take the three to keep the scoreboard ticking, as if we keep getting in their 22 like Bath did the points should soon rack up.
Agreed... I don't see our attack as being as great as I would like it to be, so I think you are right... the 3 point options could be the winners.

Although Bath's attack also wasn't great, I do take my hat off to the determination of the Montpellier defence. Ever though it was possibly a little "simple", it was a long spell of bombardment from Bath which Montpellier managed to fend off without any points.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Pellsey wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 am
JP14 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:23 am

Agreed... I don't see our attack as being as great as I would like it to be, so I think you are right... the 3 point options could be the winners.

Although Bath's attack also wasn't great, I do take my hat off to the determination of the Montpellier defence. Ever though it was possibly a little "simple", it was a long spell of bombardment from Bath which Montpellier managed to fend off without any points.
I have to confess a great sin - was yelling at my TV about the slowness of the Bath pick and drive - could not see them scoring that way - we have to learn from that and not keep giving their defence time to reset or the result will be the same - nil point
Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

trendylfj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am Not going as a very small crowd in a very big stadium with a long drive back home after no beer doesn't fill me with the excitement it should.
Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger but had similar thoughts. I'll be watching in comfort with a beer at home.