Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by Smudge »

Ding Dong wrote :
Assuming you're referring to the daughter of former Wales and Lions player Elgan Rees, and also the wife of Ireland and Lions player Simon Easterby, then she certainly has more rugby knowledge than most on this forum so i'd suggest you be less patronising.
Suggest away but the fact she was praising Losowsky for all the things he "won" with the Saracens, got up the nose of many
a rugby player and ex-player who consider cheating an anathema and not to be praised in the way she did.
A life long Tiger
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Smudge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:05 pm Ding Dong wrote :
Assuming you're referring to the daughter of former Wales and Lions player Elgan Rees, and also the wife of Ireland and Lions player Simon Easterby, then she certainly has more rugby knowledge than most on this forum so i'd suggest you be less patronising.
Suggest away but the fact she was praising Losowsky for all the things he "won" with the Saracens, got up the nose of many
a rugby player and ex-player who consider cheating an anathema and not to be praised in the way she did.
Trouble is your initial post rather diluted your very correct point re Sarries, Sara is by no means the worst on BT in this respect in must be said.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

DingDong wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:36 am
Smudge wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:37 pm...the little Welsh bird
My wife's married to a rocket scientist..... Wouldn't trust her to make one! 😇😇🤣🤣
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Big Dai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Smudge wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:37 pm...the little Welsh bird
My wife's married to a rocket scientist..... Wouldn't trust her to make one! 😇😇🤣🤣
Sara is very knowledgeable about rugby. Is her being a woman problematic?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:52 pm

No..... But being related to expertise does not guarantee you have it. Male or Female. Nepotism has made some dodgy appointments.
Super User
Super User

Sara has been covering Rugby for some considerable time, I would hazard that's how she met her husband.

Some posters on this forum seem to have a real issue with Gender & their views tend to be tolerated, unfortunately like society in general.

It might help if the Club made a serious entry into Womens Rugby, we do look rather alone from some of the other top English Clubs.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:16 pm Sara has been covering Rugby for some considerable time, I would hazard that's how she met her husband.

Some posters on this forum seem to have a real issue with Gender & their views tend to be tolerated, unfortunately like society in general.

It might help if the Club made a serious entry into Womens Rugby, we do look rather alone from some of the other top English Clubs.
We have the Loughborough lightening? Would not a second team so close geographically detract from their success?

As for punditry, in general I find the whole lot of them beyond tolerance, irrespective of gender or previous experience...... The old man and I were discussing this during the final.

We watched the game together for the first time in ages. We used to watch "live" together at WR and part of the day was a pint or glass of wine afterwards and a discussion on the game.

Sadly there is no option on the TV to delete the commentary and the "knowledgeable" interjections of the pundits and watch the game as if we were sat in the Crumbie.

As for the post match interviews..... That's what the discussions over a beer were for.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Getting off topic here, but Tigers were intending to grow their own women’s team, without poaching from Loughborough, prior to pandemic. No great surprise that plans have had to be put on hold. I expect it is still a goal though.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Super User
Super User

loretta wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:41 pm Getting off topic here, but Tigers were intending to grow their own women’s team, without poaching from Loughborough, prior to pandemic. No great surprise that plans have had to be put on hold. I expect it is still a goal though.
I would happy with a Loughborough Tigers, I presumed as much from some of the comments from our CEO, better late than never I suppose.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For me pundits and some commentators in general are more of an irritation than an enhancement - fortunately there is the volume control .....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:07 am For me pundits and some commentators in general are more of an irritation than an enhancement - fortunately there is the volume control .....
Dad and I chatted about this...... I still like to hear the crowd and maybe ref mic...... Just not the commentators.

Mr Benaud had the right idea. "Look at the scene. If you can add something to it, then do so. If not, keep quiet." (Paraphrasing)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Big Dai wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:14 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:07 am For me pundits and some commentators in general are more of an irritation than an enhancement - fortunately there is the volume control .....
Dad and I chatted about this...... I still like to hear the crowd and maybe ref mic...... Just not the commentators.

Mr Benaud had the right idea. "Look at the scene. If you can add something to it, then do so. If not, keep quiet." (Paraphrasing)
I enjoy cricket commentary very much so, because they talk about stuff without focusing on cricket the whole time, so rather than micro-analysing a boring bit of play they chat about the traffic round the stadium or some such. Means that they don't start looking for something to say on the game unless they have something to add, just a give the facts on the ball, then if nothing to add get back to the previous chat.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I agree, in my opinion cricket punditry is (usually) much more enjoyable to listen to than any other sport I’ve watched on t.v. or listened to on the radio.

A reasonable grasp of the English language helps as I can’t help but get irritated by the ‘you know’s and the ‘unbelievable’s of football in particular. I’d say rugby commentary isn’t too bad by and large.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Big Dai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:18 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:52 pm

No..... But being related to expertise does not guarantee you have it. Male or Female. Nepotism has made some dodgy appointments.
Elgans job is to present rugby matches and interview rugby players on at least two weekly prime time TV shows. Both of which require a decent knowledge of the game. Sad that you can't recognise that and respect it.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Topic locked as thread is going off topic and Cup Final is over.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk