Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by Crofty »

Well, they were favoured by a point or two by the bookies for most of the build up at least so as expected it would seem. Let's be frank, we're in the first year into the rebuild, we DESPERATELY need an attack coach, as I've said before, we make enough opportunities and just lack that last little bit, and even so we lost by 1 point to an outfit who's squad is a Sarries' accountant's wet dream.

Always frustrating to lose when you can see the path to a win but, BUT I'll trade a loss here in the euromickey mouse cup if, when we're playing for the proper one in a few years time the lads can draw on this and go on to win that. Borthers will have the lads in the video room going over what to learn for the rest of the Premiership season and get our place at the top table for next season.

We will get there; as a greatly missed grandee of this place oft said, keep the faith.

Having said that, I'm off to consume the displacement of the Royal Navy circa 1914 in beer and sulk for a bit.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:17 pm Dokie, I’ve never been influenced by other people’s comments, definitely not when refereeing, obviously you do which sets you in a bad light and easily manipulated by others on the field when reffing, anyway I’m bored with your comments now so goodnight and pleasant dreams.
Fair play, you’ve turned my comments cleverly to suit your own ends. I’d respect you if you just admitted you’d got it wrong.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I am not disappointed with the loss. We played very well tactically for most of the game. It could have gone either way and we just came out on the wrong side.

A couple of disappointments:

I've hung fire on the criticism of Wiggy but I do think he made 2 or 3 big errors tonight which in a tight game can be and probably were costly.

Open play attack never really seem to get going. I know it's partly down to where we are at but I still felt like we didn't quite show what we have in recent games.

Thought Fordy's drop goal attempt wasn't quite set up as it could have been.

Got to say that opening try dot down was a superb bit of skill and they opened us up a couple of times. So no real complaints.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

We really need a backs coach.
When we are in the opponents 22 and the ball goes out to the backs, it’s incredibly static with no lines of running at all.
In open play we very rarely make a break through the opposition line, whether that be the lack of real pace and footwork in the backs or just lack of awareness,
the pint still stands. A backs coach is absolutely crucial if we are to make the next step forward in our development next season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:16 pm
speedski wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:14 pm Happy with the progress - fronted up well - very different resources reflected in the bench.

Do think wigglesworth shouldn't have played at all and we should have had JVP on the bench.

Definitely missing pace on the wide. Henry just doesn't have the bench impact we need.

Onward and upward for next season - its going the right way!
I guess the issue might be how many 10 back up's have "pace"
Burns is a good attacking threat but isn't a pace machine.

For me in hindsight Murimurivalu and Scott should've started.
I think the idea would have been that Murimurivalu comes on for the tiring Nadolo and is then let loose on a tired Montpellier pack as opposed to entering the game inside the first half. Scott I dunno you get more quality but you also get more errors. Kelly runs the hard line well and generally concedes fewer penalties.

Agree completely on Henry/Burns, Freddie will be no faster. For those two it's all in the clever feet and I thought Henry actually played really well after he came on and looked good at the back. Maybe that's the Borthwick plan, utilise him as the alternate 15 to Steward.

This was a game where Harry Potter would have been magic. That pace and workrate maybe missed tonight though Porter did go off early so feel for him as he didn't get chance to make his mark on the game.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ourla wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:25 pm
Thought Fordy's drop goal attempt wasn't quite set up as it could have been.

Got to say that opening try dot down was a superb bit of skill and they opened us up a couple of times. So no real complaints.
9/10 time Ford would have got that drop and we would be winners.

I agree re that try. Incredable bit of skill by their 11.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Disappointment tonight, progress overall.

Agree with comments about an attack coach being needed and a fast wing, please can we find an out and out rocket, or two, for the backline.

Great effort but a couple of poor decisions or lack of concentration coughed up ball at crucial times when we were in good positions. Feel we kinda let Montpellier off the hook a bit but despite them being called 'ordinary' they've got some good big game players.

First final for 8 years, first Euro final for 12 (?) years, some youngsters will have got some vital experience tonight and in the whole tournament, here's hoping they can use it and the feeling of the loss to spur them on in future.

Losing 2 players early on didn't help, subs having to play longer may have affected tactics but it's a big boys' game, roll with the punches. Missing a couple of players through injury / non selection who if fit/picked may have made a difference. If ifs and ands were pots and pans....

Thought the officials were pretty good overall, bit disappointed with no action for the blatant drop that stopped our biggest maul, especially after so many warnings, but the try we scored obviously erased the naughtiness from their minds.

Back to the premiership and use this disappointment to push as hard as possible.

Disappointed but mildly proud and certainly more optimistic for our future.

Finally, congratulations Montpellier.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Nadolo not being 100% added to Porter off early hurt us, but we are making strides, an out and out attack coach is a must. Think Burns off the bench could have been different.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Frustrating loss, looked good in parts, poor in others. In some ways we were so close yet I felt in the last 5 minutes it was out of sight.

Think if Montoya, Leatigaga and Potter were fit it would have been different. Assume Scott was injured too. Thought Wells and Reffell were immense in the forwards, players can grow from games like this. Onwards and upwards for the rest of the season.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:35 pm Nadolo not being 100% added to Porter off early hurt us, but we are making strides, an out and out attack coach is a must. Think Burns off the bench could have been different.
Mr May from the bench could have also made a difference!
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Turned off at end of game as previously asked what happened at the end that had an adverse comment?
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:38 pm Turned off at end of game as previously asked what happened at the end that had an adverse comment?
Handbags, Montpellier grabbed a scrum cap off one of the locks (Martin?) and a general stramash ensued, six and two threes in all likelihood but I'll go with poor form from Montpellier being obnoxious winners starting handbags, just to balance out the assumption above that it was our lads that started it.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

OK thanks. Nuff said. Considering most people originally thought we didn't stand a chance thought lads played well, but then being spoilt now after the last few years. Roll on the next game and hope we can hang on to 6th place with our heads held. Rome etc etc
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was in Cardiff when we lost our first European final and though it hurt, it really gave us a kick up the :censored: for the following two years which we won, back to back. A very lucky try and a narrowly missed drop-goal. One point difference against a very expensively built team. Sorry to lose but nothing to be ashamed of.

The DOR was loyal to several players who are in their last year playing at the top. I suspect they won't feature next season
The kids will have their time in 21/22.

"Ir you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same."
A life long Tiger
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Really disappointed to lose as thought we were the better team overall. Thought some of Fords and laterally Youngs kicking was absolutely exceptional. Still feel very positive about the progress this team is making and think we will be back at the top of the prem next season.