LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:16 pm
Dokie wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:58 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:33 pm

At least he took it up and is putting something back, pity some posters on here don't take up reffing, they seem to know better, instead of calling refs out and blaming them for many of our own faults.
I’ve posted many times on here how frustrated I feel when our contributors criticise the ref for every decision that doesn’t go our way. I’ve even shown support for Dickson, for whom it seems trendy to regard as the Antichrist (And yes I appreciate he didn’t have a great game last time he did us).
Yes, I have refereed for over 30 years and I have wondered what I might have achieved if circumstances had been such to have allowed me to look to climb the ladder.
I’d never criticise officials on a whim because I know how challenging a job it is but, at the same time, I will comment if I think they are below the required level. The refereeing in the GP is generally of a high level, though I don’t think Foley is good enough. It’s of a similar standard in the Pro 14 but Adamson and Murphy are consistently below the level of their colleagues but are awarded important games, which I don’t understand and find very frustrating.
I agree with this. Criticising the officials is an easy way of papering over the cracks, something Borthwick clearly isn't in the habit of doing so we fans should try and follow suit. I am guilty of jumping on the officials perhaps a little too quickly but my frustration is borne out of lack of consistency and overly eager TMOs. TMOs that try to run the game and dictate matters frustrates me and lack of consistency from one week to the next is annoying but the general standard is good you are right. Dickson and Foley are not in the same category as Barnes, Pearce et al but the general standard of the rest is good enough.

Perhaps when we find some consistency and confidence and start competing regularly at the right end of the table the negativity towards officials will reduce and we might start seeing a different mindset.
Sadly we cannot clone Wayne, (or Nigel, in some peoples view,) all refs are individuals and there will always be some errors, sadly some posters, 1 especially, is always on their backs! Yes some disserve comment but to label some in the way they do is most dispiriting and frankly annoying, especially when coming from those who have never tried it, but appear to have eyes up their own backsides. Well done for your efforts and perseverance.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I reffed games in a few countries at a far lower level, where there is no officiating team or TMO, and it is very difficult to miss things, so I do appreciate that this is possible, and refs are only human etc. However a long way up in the professional game with a larger officiating team and cameras from every angle, the decisions should be correct the large majority of the time, especially with the luxury of multiple angles and viewings of the incidents. If the officiating team in the professional game are not able to get these decisions right, when even the fans and the commentators seem to know better, then there is something wrong. If I continually made similar errors in my job, I would be fired. I think there is room for improvement in refereeing today. In close games, these mistakes / misjudgements do unfortunately make a difference, as would an extra "0" at the end of a quotation.

Montpellier beat Toulouse last night 29 10... https://www.montpellier-rugby.com/
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

I haven’t watched the games so can’t comment on quality but results wise Montpellier seem to be on an incredible run of form beating Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon, and La Rochelle in recent weeks.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

European Finals : The officials ....

Post by kk20gb30 »

Announced yesterday (May 11) :
Luke Pearce to take control of The Champions Cup Final.
The Challenge Cup has an all Irish officiating team , headed up by Andrew Brace .

https://www.planetrugby.com/luke-pearce ... -toulouse/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Montpellier are in some good form.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Pellsey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:24 am I reffed games in a few countries at a far lower level, where there is no officiating team or TMO, and it is very difficult to miss things, so I do appreciate that this is possible, and refs are only human etc. However a long way up in the professional game with a larger officiating team and cameras from every angle, the decisions should be correct the large majority of the time, especially with the luxury of multiple angles and viewings of the incidents. If the officiating team in the professional game are not able to get these decisions right, when even the fans and the commentators seem to know better, then there is something wrong. If I continually made similar errors in my job, I would be fired. I think there is room for improvement in refereeing today. In close games, these mistakes / misjudgements do unfortunately make a difference, as would an extra "0" at the end of a quotation.

Montpellier beat Toulouse last night 29 10... https://www.montpellier-rugby.com/
It was Toulon not Toulouse
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No matter what sides others are putting out in TheTop 14 Montpellier’s form in the last 6-7 weeks is outstanding. They will surely be strong favourites to beat us and Tigers will have to show just how far they’ve progressed to beat them.
Hopefully those of us at Twickers can make a difference!!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Montpellier away this weekend to Stade Francais. Interesting to see their line up , come the time.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Saw a post on twitter from them that they had a shed load of injuries for this weekend - suggesting they will be resting a lot of players now they have secured their status in the top flight
Less is more....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Montpellier losing 32-10 at present. Havnt checked team sheet
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:53 pm Montpellier losing 32-10 at present. Havnt checked team sheet
That might help...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:53 pm Montpellier losing 32-10 at present. Havnt checked team sheet
That might help...
Just have,it’s a seconds team.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Red card for Montpellier so that could also be reflected by the scoreline
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I think being the underdog will suit SB, Tigers and us fans just fine. And we won’t be taking some of our key line breakers off after 50 mins. Pressure is on Montpellier. We just have to do what we did today and stick with the game plan. Time to get our loudest voices ready and roar.

Do we know if Montoya is back?