Ben Youngs out of Lions Tour?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ben Youngs out of Lions Tour?

Post by amazing tiger »

Don’t know if this has already been posted but just seen on Twitter Ben Young’s has ruled himself out of lions contention sighting the fact he wants to spend time with family. In a selfish way this is good for us he gets a rest in the summer and comes back fresh for us . Obviously was one of the 50 contacted last week
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ben Youngs out of Lions Tour?

Post by BigDan50 »

Not sure he would have been selected.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:30 pm Not sure he would have been selected.
Well he had a good chance of being picked baring in mind he had a “save the date letter”
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Mrs Youngs: “You said what?!!!’
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’d got Ben Youngs in my Lions squad: he played brilliantly last night.
Missed out last time to be with Tom and Tiff: now another sensible decision to be with his family as we come out of Lockdown.
Take a good, well deserved rest Ben after you’ve helped a Tigers win that final!
A Tigers Legend.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No doubt he would’ve been picked,if it wasn’t Gatland of course! He does have a spiteful side to him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:11 pm No doubt he would’ve been picked,if it wasn’t Gatland of course! He does have a spiteful side to him!
What has Gatland possibly got to be spiteful towards Lenny about?

He picked Youngs in his original touring party for both tours that he's been head coach.

Ludicrous post.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I think it is a very very sensible decision by Ben, pregnant wife, young family, and Covid. Yes, it will cost him in monetary terms but in my eyes, he has shown a lot of the important things we should be valuing. Family comes first every time. The tour is 7 weeks in SA plus pre-tour commitments to a bubble and is a very big ask for any father or father-to-be. Well done Ben.
Hehehehehehehehe
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Taking into account circumstances I would not be overly surprised if others followed his example...
Personally believe Ben Youngs stood a very realistic chance of selection for the Lions tour.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

After his outstanding performance in the second half on Friday night, I felt he was a Lions slot in, and probably first choice scrum half. Having said that I applaud his decision, and wouldn't be surprised in the circumstances if others follow his decision.

I hope it doesn't happen but I fear problems with the tour along the IPL lines.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:00 am I think it is a very very sensible decision by Ben, pregnant wife, young family, and Covid. Yes, it will cost him in monetary terms but in my eyes, he has shown a lot of the important things we should be valuing. Family comes first every time. The tour is 7 weeks in SA plus pre-tour commitments to a bubble and is a very big ask for any father or father-to-be. Well done Ben.
Heavily pregnant wife and two young kids at home. Not the time to disappear for the summer on a tour where returning in a hurry will be difficult if not near impossible. Very understandable stance taken from Benny.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:01 am
trendylfj wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:00 am I think it is a very very sensible decision by Ben, pregnant wife, young family, and Covid. Yes, it will cost him in monetary terms but in my eyes, he has shown a lot of the important things we should be valuing. Family comes first every time. The tour is 7 weeks in SA plus pre-tour commitments to a bubble and is a very big ask for any father or father-to-be. Well done Ben.
Heavily pregnant wife and two young kids at home. Not the time to disappear for the summer on a tour where returning in a hurry will be difficult if not near impossible. Very understandable stance taken from Benny.
+1.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Perfectly understandable decision, it's also been a long season. As Sam says, in these Covid times returning back home from South Africa in a hurry for the birth of a newborn is practically impossible.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:43 am Taking into account circumstances I would not be overly surprised if others followed his example...
Personally believe Ben Youngs stood a very realistic chance of selection for the Lions tour.
According to the BBC article Youngs is the only player who has ruled himself out. Think the only reason for contacting these 50odd players was to find out if they are willing to be in the bubble etc.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Work v Life balance decision. Right call for him and his family.
No rights or wrongs.
Not sure but feel the tour could be cancelled anyway due to COVID.