End of BT Sport?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

End of BT Sport?

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like BT are looking at the Sports area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56901387
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: End of BT Sport?

Post by tigerburnie »

I read that as expansion not ending it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm I read that as expansion not ending it.
If they're selling of all or part of the shares of BT sport then I don't see how it's an expansion.

Other outlets I've seen it on are saying that it is likely the sale of their whole sports arm of the business.

E.g. FT
https://www.ft.com/content/80c79e49-3f9 ... 39f38683c1
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes they are selling to concentrate on broadband. As long as its not DAZN I'm happy. I'd love it to be SKY ,everything under one roof would be grand! But I expect it to be either DAZN,Amazon or Disney
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not heard of DAZN......are they am established broadcaster or new and growing?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

If BT give up rugby then I would get my broadband elsewhere. I only have it for the Rugby. Shame as they do a good job, if you mute Dalaglio of course.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:03 pm Not heard of DAZN......are they am established broadcaster or new and growing?
Global already,have premiership football rights in a few countries. Eddie Hearn Matchroom boxing have an 8 year $1bn deal in America. They have just started up over here £1.99 per month showing the American Boxing shows but Eddie Hearns exclusive boxing deal with SKY hasn't been renewed and he's taking his UK stable over to DAZN too. Matchroom also own snooker,darts and fishing so I expect those to go over to DAZN once their respective TV deals are up.
DAZN won't really flourish without a substantial football package but I fully expect them be in the mix for the BT sport rights.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

BT Sport is fairly expensive unless you have BT TV and the commentary team.. well let’s leave that one but I think we’ve been pretty spoiled with every match being shown. It’s not the same as going to the matches that’s for sure but it’s been great they’ve shown them all. Will be interesting to see who gets the contract.. my money is on Sky or Amazon.. hoping for the latter
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:42 pm BT Sport is fairly expensive unless you have BT TV and the commentary team.. well let’s leave that one but I think we’ve been pretty spoiled with every match being shown. It’s not the same as going to the matches that’s for sure but it’s been great they’ve shown them all. Will be interesting to see who gets the contract.. my money is on Sky or Amazon.. hoping for the latter
Hope it's SKY but im OK with Amazon
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugby on Disney+? Stranger things have happened.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:42 pm BT Sport is fairly expensive unless you have BT TV and the commentary team.. well let’s leave that one but I think we’ve been pretty spoiled with every match being shown. It’s not the same as going to the matches that’s for sure but it’s been great they’ve shown them all. Will be interesting to see who gets the contract.. my money is on Sky or Amazon.. hoping for the latter
Ditto. Amazon have already got into the football by screening a whole weekend of Premier League games and a few others besides and they are also the primary sponsor of NFL Red Zone (for those who watch it) and they also screen some NFL matches now too. Would not surprise me in the slightest if they were one of those in the mix. I think they produce a pretty decent product too, based on what I've seen from them already. Also, as a Prime subscriber, it would be good from my perspective as there will be money back in my bank account as I won't have to pay for BT as well as Sky and Amazon.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What about Disney? Don't they own ESPN? They have a subscription platform already and could easily tie BT Sports in with their American sports and provide a UK platform. ESPN already have a deal with BT Sport anyway so maybe Disney will get first refusal.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm Yes they are selling to concentrate on broadband. As long as its not DAZN I'm happy. I'd love it to be SKY ,everything under one roof would be grand! But I expect it to be either DAZN,Amazon or Disney
Sorry Scott1, why do you not want DAZN?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I think BT deserve some plaudits. They've covered every game and there's repeats, highlights and a talk show. They are talking about their whole sporting coverage not just rugby - they do a fair bit of roundball as well. I hope it stays with BT. If it went to Amazon there would be no breaks and we'd have to wee in a bottle..
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Reckon they'd still have half time even if Amazon we're showing it!! :smt002