Premiership Rugby Joins Social Media Boycott

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Joins Social Media Boycott

Post by Scott1 »

BengalTiger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 pm My only question would be, why only 4 days!
Mine would be why any days at all?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:20 pm
BengalTiger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:18 pm My only question would be, why only 4 days!
Because sports people shouldn't get abused for doing their job. Nobody should be subject to personal abuse for doing their job.

Some say ignore it or man up, but that misses the point. Some people are wired differently and don't find it that easy to switch off or to ignore. People should not be able to make death threats to a sportsman behind the cloak of anonymity...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:56 pm
Because sports people shouldn't get abused for doing their job. Nobody should be subject to personal abuse for doing their job.

Some say ignore it or man up, but that misses the point. Some people are wired differently and don't find it that easy to switch off or to ignore. People should not be able to make death threats to a sportsman behind the cloak of anonymity...
Missing my point,my point being is what is it going to achieve? Nothing imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Biggest issue is that the big social media sites do not do enough to eliminate the offensive posts and are benefitting from all the visits by users. This is a shot across the bows and to raise awareness and hopefully they will take it more seriously.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:08 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:56 pm

Missing my point,my point being is what is it going to achieve? Nothing imo.
Online abuse is a problem that a lot of people are happy to ignore.
The social media ban has raised awareness of the problem, so it has already achieved something
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well its pennies from heaven for Tigers not choosing to report on tonight's match
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Boycott now over....So , I wonder now when the first reported case of abuse will come to light ?
Cynic or realist ? I think a short time will tell.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:20 am Boycott now over....So , I wonder now when the first reported case of abuse will come to light ?
The boycott was never expected to stop abuse. It was to send a message to the social media platforms that their income is threatened by the abuse and they need to help to reduce it.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

ourla wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:22 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:20 am Boycott now over....So , I wonder now when the first reported case of abuse will come to light ?
The boycott was never expected to stop abuse. It was to send a message to the social media platforms that their income is threatened by the abuse and they need to help to reduce it.
Exactly :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

A four day boycott is the first step.

If (or rather, when) the abuse restarts then there's a natural progression... perhaps next time it's a month, then the next time it's permanent until the situation changes.

Sports clubs can crank up the pressure each time and give the platforms a chance to do something about it.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:11 am A four day boycott is the first step.

If (or rather, when) the abuse restarts then there's a natural progression... perhaps next time it's a month, then the next time it's permanent until the situation changes.

Sports clubs can crank up the pressure each time and give the platforms a chance to do something about it.
Can they though? I don't think there are huge numbers on Twitter or Facebook or YouTube only because their favourite sports teams are and as it's the user base that makes social networks profitable (our eyes on adverts, our collective data for analysis) the boycott would have to see users leaving in droves to pose any threat...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Albert Tuisue suffers racial abuse :

https://www.planetrugby.com/london-iris ... ial-media/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Speaking as someone whose identity is open - yes, my name is John Griffin and is on all media except one I can't alter - abuse comes regardless of ID and is often prompted by groups whose raison d'etre is abuse, whether political, misogynist or racist. Facebook is now censoring individual comments BTW, having previously suspended accounts for CHALLENGING racist posters 🤔
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.