Premiership Rugby Joins Social Media Boycott

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Premiership Rugby Joins Social Media Boycott

Post by kk20gb30 »

Although any move is to be applauded until personal accountability for what is posted (and actively policed , as it can be,if desired) is introduced sport is really only making a gesture.It has been noted on many occasions that if the shield of anonymity was to disappear then so would the vast majority of the distasteful and offensive posts.
Sport,Sporting bodies and their various members and participants need and use Social Media - no exaggeration to say that they walk together hand in hand and realistically this wont change.What can change (along with attitudes and mindsets) is the ease and criteria by which anybody can join, rejoin (under a different identity) and post on these Platforms.
End the ability to hide and we will go a long way to ending the problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56915338
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Joins Social Media Boycott

Post by JP14 »

I understand the poster’s points, however it’s good to see both football and union make a stand, and hopefully that will ensure that the social media companies will take more action or encourage politicians to introduce new legislation.

Removing anonymity has its cons by the way.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'm not so convinced that anonymity is the cause. Many people will share personally identifiable information on social media. And you're never too far away from a doxing if you target the wrong person.

I see this as more of a debate about the limits (if any) of free speech. Tech companies sidestep it all by calling themselves 'platforms' not publishers.

I think the boycott is a good start. If your business is user-generated content then the users have the ability to make changes happen.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Is this Forum "Closing" as well?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I like the fact you can have annonimity to other users.

However I think that each account needs a verifiable person behind it.

So that way I can post anonymously up until the police ask Twitter for example who the person behind an account is.

That way you still allow for posts like whistleblowing (leagally done) to be made without fear of reprisals, but racist abuse can be tracke to all individuals.

The only complication is accounts with multiple people with access. For example I along with 2 others run a local cricket club's Twitter account. I was the one to set it up, therefore in this world I would be the ID checked person, if I left there needs to be a robust way of passing on the ID behind the account to a current and verifiable person.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 am Is this Forum "Closing" as well?
I think that would be a good way of forum members showing solidarity with the club in this for us not to post, Tigerbeat may be the one to ask if it's actually shutting down though.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The argument always put up, with validity, is on the occasions "real" information has got out of less enlightened countries, where your anonymity is essential.
How you let that still happen whilst stopping the village idiot racially or sexually abusing someone on Twitter :censored: is beyond me, but I am pretty sure the "platforms" could make a better job at it.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

With regards to the boycott on social media, I am not sure that the forum has been included. I have asked the question and will post any response that I receive. It would be good to support this boycott in my opinion.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What's this all about?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am What's this all about?
Due to the racism and abuse directed at Footballers, Rugby players & cricketers all 3 sports are having a 4 day social media blackout.

Think how Genge got death threats for a video of him not clapping in the 6 nations plenty of examples of that sort of rubbish all over social media.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Forum will remain open during the period of boycott of social media.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am What's this all about?
The usual thing... a small minority spoiling things for the vast majority! :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 am The Forum will remain open during the period of boycott of social media.
Thank goodness for that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Just as an example of real toxicity (or doxicity, actually) I have been a small participant in a Facebook group opposed to Staffs County Council's plans for Cannock Chase. This came under lots of attack from some of a certain political persuasion, and some of those (including a councillor) doxed the main admin, setting up an account based on insulting him, and urging people to take action against him and his family. This included meals being sent his house via Just Eat etc that he was expected to pay for, and much worse. When the true authors were exposed, police got involved (and a case is being prepared).
Social media should have no aliases. You will always have the organised trolling side (indeed political parties have units to do this!) but the anonymous insulters, trolls, racists and misogynists need to be exposed to the light.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

My only question would be, why only 4 days!