RIP Bleddyn

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: RIP Bleddyn

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Sad to hear the news. Echo the thoughts of others. A unique voice of Leicester Tigers commentary, whose commitment to and love for the club for decades was clear to see (or hear). He will be missed.

Condolences to his family and those closest to him.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

So sad. Cwsg mewn hedd. Some of us are getting to the age where this happens too often. RIP.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Shocked to learn of Bleddyn's death. I first met him soon after he joined Tigers when Graham Willars introduced me to him, a couple of weeks later Van Hopkins also introduced me to Bleddyn who said " Oh John and I are old friends" Hoppo spent some time trying to work out where and how Bleddyn and I could have previously met.
As i am usually at the match I haven't heard a great deal of Bleddyn's commentary but he was a lovely man and it was always a pleasure to meet with him (usually in a bar) at away fixtures throughout the U.K and Europe, he will be missed by many.
Sincere condolences to his family and all who were close to him.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I had to return to post here about this sad news. Bleddyn to me was the true voice of Leicester Tigers for those of us housebound or just listening at home. His enthusiasm and excitement, his knowledge and his fair commentary were his benchmark and the little phrases he used always amused me. He will be deeply missed by many.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Such sad news and a total shock. For those of us without a current sport subscription, he was the voice of Tigers. I know that he had not been commentating for a little while but had still be dropping in during half time for a few words. Came as a real shock and Saturday afternoons will not quite be the same.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

A Tigers icon and a local radio icon. A very sad day.
Condolences to his family and friends.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

this is terrible news, Rest in Peace
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Far too young. A great loss. My thoughts with his family
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I echo the thoughts of everyone else, my deepest condolences to his family. Fair to say a true legend of local radio, he will be greatly missed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Very sad to hear of his passing, only 72. His partnership with Steve on the radio will long linger in my memory and also the number of times we bumped into them on Ryanair etc when they were making their own way to those Euro matches.
Condolences to all his family and friends, he will be missed.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like everyone else I was saddened to hear of the sudden passing away of a Tigers’ and Radio Leicester Legend.
When Tigers were on their winning run under Deano the Tag Rugby team I coached went on a similar run meaning the sponsors of the competition wanted me to be interviewed. Bleddyn was so calming as he saw I was nervous, particularly in the small press room at Welford Road jammed with well known journalists!He gave his usual welcoming smile, told me an amusing story then guided me through the radio interview and subsequent interviews. All his skills of dealing with children as a teacher and head shone in the way he dealt with me and others around him.After the interview(s) he was full of praise and encouragement to ensure for many more years I kept the rugby coaching, reffing and organising of tournaments going. I was lucky enough to see him play a few times when my father started taking me to games when I was 11 leaving me thinking we((Tigers) we’re lucky to have our own “Welsh Wizard.“ What a fantastic player,
and Gentleman. He will be missed but never forgotten.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I’ve known Bleddyn for about 20 years. He was never anything less than an absolutely top bloke. No one ever had a bad word to say about him.
When I read the post on BBC sport at lunchtime, I re read it over and over to check I was reading it correctly as it just didn’t seem true. He was a very young 72.
Bleddyn, you’ve been taken well before your time. Rest in peace my friend. You will truly be missed.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Sad News Indeed.
Condolences and Best Wishes to all of his family.
R.I.P.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Oh dear,
Such sad news about this Tiger great. Tha man was a true legend.

RIP Bleddyn.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Very sad indeed, as others have said the voice of the Tigers in so many ways. I do remember sitting up the top of the main stand in Treviso one damp December afternoon having a bit of a chat with him at half time, I guess the broadcast was away somewhere else, having a bit of a chuckle at the refereeing of Mr Roland, particularly the world record penalty try. He will be missed I'm sure by so many that he knew, many more who met him but a few times and many many more who never met him but invited him in to their living rooms every weekend through the season with relish, regardless of Tigers' performance at the time!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere