Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Jake Kerr - released from contract

Post by TA30 »

Hopefully a good move for all parties.

He's always seemed to me a player who has it all on paper (Tom Youngs name dropped him as one of the fittest in the squad in a recent interview), but he goes missing in games. Harsh as it may be I get the feeling he's viewed as missing the mentality required to reach the top.

Really do hope the timing of this means Montoya's return is very close. Youngs, Clare, Dolly is looking a bit thin otherwise.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Jake is a good hooker, but he has slipped down the pecking order at Tigers, and has struggled to get any game time. I suspect that the recent signing of Dolly might have finally triggered his move away.
Good luck to him!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I suspect Dolly was signed because Kerr was off end of season.
Edinbrugh just released a Hooker so putting 2 + 2 together potentially a reason for now asking for a release.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'm sure Borthwick won't get all of his judgements about players right but I really like that he is decisive and gets these situations resolved quickly.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

I'm sure he has something lined up.

Very talented but hasn't really kicked on and with Montoya and Youngs ahead of him and Clare proving more solid fundamentally and Dolly arriving he was never going to get the opportunities he needs to resume an international career.

It shows the strength in depth we now have that someone with that talent can be surplus to requirements.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 pm I suspect Dolly was signed because Kerr was off end of season.
Edinbrugh just released a Hooker so putting 2 + 2 together potentially a reason for now asking for a release.
One released today and Willemse confirmed as off to LI in the summer. They must be after at least one hooker.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Shame .. I like him.
I suspect he doesn’t fit the playing style .. a bit too loose for SB. Clare fits that style better.
The one thing I like about Borthwick is that he has made up his mind how we are going to play and he sticks to it. Sadly some players don’t fit that model however talented they may be in other directions, therefore they have to go.
Hopefully Edinburgh will pick him up and he can continue to progress, alongside De Bruin who is heading there already.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It does seem like he was capped too soon. He's never been the same player since, IMO.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:07 am It does seem like he was capped too soon. He's never been the same player since, IMO.
He was capped in an injury crisis, mind you.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The brutality of sport that enables a man barely into his twenties to buy a house. Who would be a professional sportsperson, eh?

Pretty sure he'll find a new club fairly quickly, he's just been a bit unlucky with Youngs being revitalised, Montoya arriving early and Clare being much better than was probably expected.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Just needs to actually play some rugby, this is one I would be quite happy to be a wrong decision by us as his route to higher levels has been a different one.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:07 am It does seem like he was capped too soon. He's never been the same player since, IMO.
He was capped in an injury crisis, mind you.
I know, and I'm not blaming him! It just seems like he has never been the same player since he played an international game, for whatever reason that may be.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I see he's joined Briz until the end of the season.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:48 pm I see he's joined Briz until the end of the season.
And on the bench this weekend
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Glad for the guy - hope he goes on and uses this as a stepping stone to a fine career .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....