Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Jake Kerr - released from contract

Post by Snoopydog68 »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ke ... april-2021

Think you'll see a few more of this in the coming weeks. Borthwick really making it known who he does and doesn't like. Shame for him - he was the number 2 hooker pre-covid. Gone back to his family in Scotland I believe. Only purchased a house in Leicester last year. Professional sport is brutal. All the best to him.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jake Kerr - released from contract

Post by KiwiTig »

Good luck to Kerr. He gained so much momentum pre-Covid and performed very well for us when he played. I wish him well and as a young man hope to see him back in action soon 👍
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Pity, but was on the cards. I hoped he'd stay with us and progress, but I hope he does well where ever ends up. Wonder if he'll get picked up by Cockers?
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

ads wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:05 am Pity, but was on the cards. I hoped he'd stay with us and progress, but I hope he does well where ever ends up. Wonder if he'll get picked up by Cockers?
Would be great if he did!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 am https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ke ... april-2021

Think you'll see a few more of this in the coming weeks. Borthwick really making it known who he does and doesn't like. Shame for him - he was the number 2 hooker pre-covid. Gone back to his family in Scotland I believe. Only purchased a house in Leicester last year. Professional sport is brutal. All the best to him.
At least with the housing market as it is he'll probably sell the house at a profit.

Edinburgh have lost a hooker to LI haven't they (Willemse?) So could be a direct replacement for them. Get him into the Rainbow Cup games and settled in for next season.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Sounds like he has asked to be released from his contract so he may have had some offers. We do have strength in depth at hooker so he probably saw the writing on the wall and asked his agent to put the feelers out.

Wish him all the best.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

An inevitability, but still a shame. Wish him all the best for the future, hope he adds some more Scottish caps to his belt too, definitely good enough.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Can't say as I understand why he's fallen out of favour (some seem more obvious than others) but respect that the coaches/management have to make hard decisions and will know much more than I.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good luck Jake,needs game time. Very good hooker on top form and I hope he gets some more caps!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:40 am Can't say as I understand why he's fallen out of favour (some seem more obvious than others) but respect that the coaches/management have to make hard decisions and will know much more than I.
Don't know he's fallen out of favour so much as Clare has really stepped up, OTY has had a revival and Montoya one of the leading Hookers in the world has joined.

He went from 2nd (close to 1st) choice Hooker to 4th choice. His wages don’t fit with 4th choice so a young 21 year old Dolly makes more sense there.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly inevitable , but still a shame.Age , potential and ability will hopefully see find a new club quickly.Best of luck.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Shame. Very good prospect with lots of potential just never really got the opportunities. Wish him all the best :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Another decent player who will benefit from a fresh environment, good luck to him :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suppose the room is limited given the financial situation and the salary cap.

Montoya would walk into most international sides. Clare has really impressed and OTY is playing the best he has for years.

Even if OTY retires, I doubt as a player with international ambitions he would not be keen to be 2nd, 3rd let alone 4th choice, nor would it be fair to him to hold him to a contract if other offers are out there.

Who is the next in line if OTY or Clare end up joining Montoya on the physio's couch?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

DingDong wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 am Another decent player who will benefit from a fresh environment, good luck to him :smt023
Agreed. I'm sure given his potential he will be snapped up quickly.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat