SAINTS AT HOME 24TH APRIL 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: SAINTS AT HOME 24TH APRIL 2021

Post by mol2 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:14 pm Ludlam was direct contact to the head end of.
No mitigation its an offence regardless of intent. We lose a player via a failed HIA as a result with no consequence and not even a penalty. How many high tackles are given for less???
Should it not have been a red card for a head butt?

Both are equally acceptable. (And as ridiculous) for a rugby collision. The failed HIA cannot change the legitimacy of the tackle.

IMHO If you attempt to tackle a player who was upright at the point of committing to the tackle, then it should not be a penalty if you are below shoulder height using your arms. If a player ducks, stumbles or falls and a head collision occurs, that’s rugby. If you don’t use your arms or the tackle late, red card is fine. Rugby cannot be risk free.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

BFG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm I thought it was a good game to watch and that Leicester might grab the win near the end but just too many errors today.
Credit where it's due though Saints were decent and after a lot of disruption losing the likes of Painter and Harrison before kick off and the injury to Mitchell when he was playing really well.
Paul Hill put in a proper shift for them, that was a performance worthy of an England selection in my opinion.
I thought Hill was distinctly average
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:50 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm I thought it was a good game to watch and that Leicester might grab the win near the end but just too many errors today.
Credit where it's due though Saints were decent and after a lot of disruption losing the likes of Painter and Harrison before kick off and the injury to Mitchell when he was playing really well.
Paul Hill put in a proper shift for them, that was a performance worthy of an England selection in my opinion.
That's fair enough.
Dickson thinks he is a good ref.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

BFG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:52 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:50 pm
That's fair enough.
Dickson thinks he is a good ref.
😂🤣👍👌
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think Hill tired towards the end but was excellent for 50 minutes. I think he's definitely in the running for the summer tour. He's at an ideal age to bring into the England system and has the mobility to fit right in. I think Tigers would have had the scrum advantage earlier had Painter started.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers head coach Steve Borthwick told BBC Radio Leicester:

"I think when you turn over the ball eight times in the opposition 22 and lose by five points it tells you there's an opportunity there to win a game and we failed to.

"We've got to make sure when we get to these tight games we come away with wins.

"It's two weeks running now where we've got very tight results and we need to make sure we turn those into wins, and that's part of the evolution of this team."

Northampton Saints director of rugby Chris Boyd told BBC Radio Northampton:

"Today was neither salubrious or terrible, but at the end of the day you don't grizzle about coming to Welford Road and getting four points do you?

"We should have probably had that game out of reach for Leicester sort of 15 or 20 minutes into the second half if we'd have just nailed one more try and kept pressure, but we got sucked into tossing the ball around.

"But it was a good gusty effort at the end there."
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:14 pm Ludlam was direct contact to the head end of.
No mitigation its an offence regardless of intent. We lose a player via a failed HIA as a result with no consequence and not even a penalty. How many high tackles are given for less???
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/13

See the flowchart there. It's the second one down. By that I make it a penalty no more.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Too many players pull on the Tiger's shirt, but lack the pride to wear it, as well as the passion. Today was a classic example. :smt013 :smt013
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:23 pm
I think Hill tired towards the end but was excellent for 50 minutes. I think he's definitely in the running for the summer tour. He's at an ideal age to bring into the England system and has the mobility to fit right in. I think Tigers would have had the scrum advantage earlier had Painter started.
Painter is the better scrummager.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Today was a reality check, plain and simple.

We need to be looking at next season.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm Too many players pull on the Tiger's shirt, but lack the pride to wear it, as well as the passion. Today was a classic example. :smt013 :smt013
This is incredibly harsh. I saw no lack of fight or effort. Just inaccuracy.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm Too many players pull on the Tiger's shirt, but lack the pride to wear it, as well as the passion. Today was a classic example. :smt013 :smt013
Perhaps you could quote this at next weeks team talk!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:58 pm Anecdotally, for the last few seasons it seems we gain some momentum with the internationals away, and expect an extra edge when the internationals come back, but we tend to take a step back.
Sorry to say it but our half back internationals are not good enough now. There are plenty of scrum halves better than Ben and George is very limited in what he does. He is lightweight, tries very hard in defence but when was the last time he made a break, he is a kicking flyhalf and really his only attacking play is the late drawn pass or pass back, like the interception he gave away.
I think their selection reflects on England's poor 6 nations. Sorry to say it and Jones needs to lead the way in not selecting them so they are not automatically our first choices. Controversial I know, but time to accept the facts.
Agreed about our selection of locks, Wells OK, Green is substandard, must select Lavanini until we no longer have him, pair him with Henderson.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:23 pm
Painter is the better scrummager.
He's hit and miss. He's a big bloke that is good at using his weight. I'm not sure his technique is that good but that's not surprising considering his age.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If a defender was lying on the floor after making a tackle and the tackled player then fell on him head to head, would you red card the tackler, of course you wouldn't, so why would you red card Ludlam who couldn't get out of the way. Common sense was applied.