SAINTS AT HOME 24TH APRIL 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SAINTS AT HOME 24TH APRIL 2021

Post by KiwiTig »

My outlook on games has somewhat changed over recent months. Of course I look forward to a win but during this time of real transition I genuinely look forward to seeing the long term improvement strategy in what we are about as a club become visible in our performance ie how we play, how we support, unite and develop players at all stages of their careers and then this manifests itself both on and off the pitch ...I sense a real and new positivity that isn’t just about the need for victory in every game at this stage in the journey but a realisation that whilst we will compete to do that every week that it will come soon if we continue to follow this path ...that said I also hope we hammer the Saints 🤣
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Couldn't have put it better myself :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

KiwiTig wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:59 am My outlook on games has somewhat changed over recent months. Of course I look forward to a win but during this time of real transition I genuinely look forward to seeing the long term improvement strategy in what we are about as a club become visible in our performance ie how we play, how we support, unite and develop players at all stages of their careers and then this manifests itself both on and off the pitch ...I sense a real and new positivity that isn’t just about the need for victory in every game at this stage in the journey but a realisation that whilst we will compete to do that every week that it will come soon if we continue to follow this path ...that said I also hope we hammer the Saints 🤣
Well put. My thoughts exactly. 👍👍👍
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:28 am
KiwiTig wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:59 am My outlook on games has somewhat changed over recent months. Of course I look forward to a win but during this time of real transition I genuinely look forward to seeing the long term improvement strategy in what we are about as a club become visible in our performance ie how we play, how we support, unite and develop players at all stages of their careers and then this manifests itself both on and off the pitch ...I sense a real and new positivity that isn’t just about the need for victory in every game at this stage in the journey but a realisation that whilst we will compete to do that every week that it will come soon if we continue to follow this path ...that said I also hope we hammer the Saints 🤣
Agreed. It's easy to get carried away and forget the bigger picture :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Saints is still the only game that matters! Borthwick is rebuilding not just the winning mentality but also that gnarly Tigers DNA. The speech to the players in the stand pre-season, the dismissing of the players during a training session all stand testament to that philosophy. Our local derby game matters for the pride and value it has to the entire club, squad and supporters, that's why I think he'll put out his strongest side regardless of the other forthcoming fixtures.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 am
SB expects, as always, a win regardless of whom the opposition is. It is part of his ethos and what he wants to put back into the club after seasons of what seems to have been 'acceptable capitulation' in games. I too am positive and have a real sense of a positive future to see the Tigers compete at the top table. The Saints are running hot and cold and this is a good opportunity. If nothing else it is a local derby and bragging rights are everything :smt026
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 am
The best sports book I've ever read is Bill Walsh's 'The Score Takes Care of Itself' and is exactly the mindset you describe i.e. If all aspects of the club, from the way the ticket office answers the phone, to the cleanliness of the toilets, to the immaculate preparation of the playing surface etc. If exceptionally high standards of performance become the norm, across an organisation - in this case the player development - the score takes care of itself.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

DingDong wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 am Saints is still the only game that matters! Borthwick is rebuilding not just the winning mentality but also that gnarly Tigers DNA. The speech to the players in the stand pre-season, the dismissing of the players during a training session all stand testament to that philosophy. Our local derby game matters for the pride and value it has to the entire club, squad and supporters, that's why I think he'll put out his strongest side regardless of the other forthcoming fixtures.
He has a choice of players to be able to put out a winning team for both the Saints and Ulster games. Your 'first choice' and mine may well be different and SB's choice is likely to be different again. He sees the training and is paid the big bucks to get it right :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I just have a sneaky hunch we may see Nadolo this weekend (not based on anything really other than the lack of him being mentioned when SB gave injury updates and just a feeling)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I hope you are right 🤞
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LEICESTER TIGERS vs NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Gallagher Premiership Rugby, Round 17
Saturday 24 April 2021
Mattioli Woods Welford Road
Kick-off: 3pm

15 George Furbank
14 Matt Proctor
13 Rory Hutchinson
12 Piers Francis
11 Ollie Sleightholme
10 Dan Biggar
9 Alex Mitchell

1 Alex Waller (co-capt)
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Ehren Painter
4 David Ribbans
5 Alex Moon
6 Tom Wood
7 Lewis Ludlam (co-capt)
8 Teimana Harrison

Replacements:
16 Mike Haywood
17 Nick Auterac
18 Paul Hill
19 Alex Coles
20 Shaun Adendorff
21 Tom James
22 Ahsee Tuala
23 Tommy Freeman

Not available due to injury:
Owen Franks (foot), Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (achilles), Nick Isiekwe (pectoral), Courtney Lawes (pectoral), Taqele Naiyaravoro (calf), Ryan Olowofela (ankle), Api Ratuniyarawa (shoulder), and Kayde Sylvester (achilles).
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Saints missing Nick Isiekwe, Courtney Lawes, Taqele Naiyaravoro are big losses but a very strong side
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Great to see Liebenberg back for us and Nadolo and Brink on the bench. Kobus Van Wyk preferred to Potter and Youngs and Ford start. JvP and Henry on the bench.. Otherwise no surprises.

2 very good looking teams there.. liking this Tigers squad :smt023
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:01 pm Great to see Liebenberg back for us and Nadolo and Brink on the bench. Kobus Van Wyk preferred to Potter and Youngs and Ford start
Could just be Potter rotated and rested for Ulster
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:01 pm Great to see Liebenberg back for us and Nadolo and Brink on the bench. Kobus Van Wyk preferred to Potter and Youngs and Ford start
Whoaaah, YES!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.