Super User

Rainbow Cup trial rules

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56763899

They're trialling the 20min red card

Captains challenge

Held up becomes goline dropout
In the rainbow cup
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Re: Rainbow Cup trial rules

Post by Tigerbeat »

Taking on more rules from League with the goal line drop outs.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

If I wanted to watch League, I would. Stop tinkering with the flipping’ laws and apply the ones we already have. Few more years the scrum will be gone along with the fans
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Turning this game into League,stop now!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56763899

They're trialling the 20min red card
So the whingers have got their way, no more games "ruined" by red cards, because it's the fault of the referee that a player engages in an act of dangerous foul play early in the game.
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 pm Captains challenge
Smart move, far too long coming, and I like the keep it until you get one wrong approach as it'll hold poor referees fully to account, although the 5 minutes free for all at the end (of each half?) sounds to me like it'll make the final whistle feel like a rarer sight, especially for games involving certain internationals...
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:12 pm Held up becomes goline dropout
In the rainbow cup
Fully agree with those above, the scrum is an endangered species and we must take action to save it!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think the Captain’s Referral is a good addition and could go a long way to stop the wendyball moaning and flapping of the arms that’s now a part of our game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

But are we going to see French TV directors repeatedly showing dodgy angles until the Captain notices :smt003
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The scrum isn't worth saving as a spectacle in it's current state but I don't like the goal line drop out instead, that's too league in my opinion.
We very rarely see two teams wanting to have an actual scrummaging competition nowadays.
It's most often either scrum parity or the side under pressure collapsing at the mark.
If they're going to do anything then bring back hooking for both hookers and make a decent competition of it, that'll automatically depower it and bring the height up to a sensible level because the hookers will need leg room.
It's an integral part of the union game in my opinion that if done properly is entertaining.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

And that to me is the problem. If scrums were a competition then it might be worth watching. But at the moment scrums are one of the parts of play that is regularly unwatchable.

Which is why im baffled that of the things they are trialling are not things which will make much difference to the spectacle. I havent spoken to one person who can clearly articulate why there is a need for a hit in the scrum and why we can bind the players together before they start to push. Doing so would, imo, get rid of most of the nonsense scrum resets, get the game going again quicker and provide a better platform for an actual scrum to take place. Oh, and it would probably reduce injuries, too!

As an aside, i wonder how players of this era would cope with the pace of the game in the past. I suspect they'd struggle. One of these days i'll time the actual play - i suspect its around 60 minutes max!

I like the red card rule. But there probably needs to be some careful attention paid to using it as a way of getting an e.g. senior player back on the pitch. Probably a small risk. But also, is there a need for a 'Super Red Card' that punishes very serious offences? A 20 minute punishment doesnt, in some cases, seem appropriate.

Not sure on the challenge rule - though as others have said it may reduce the propensity for players (mostly Welsh backs, but beginning to become endemic) from waving their arms around. But, again, need to be carefully managed. In cricket, there are quite a few examples where captains have said to an umpire 'oh, are you sure he didnt hit that, it looked mighty close and i thought i heard a noise' to induce an umpire review, rather than a team review. It almost, in that case, comes a 'free' review.
#48 FTW :)
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 am The scrum isn't worth saving as a spectacle in it's current state but I don't like the goal line drop out instead, that's too league in my opinion.
We very rarely see two teams wanting to have an actual scrummaging competition nowadays.
It's most often either scrum parity or the side under pressure collapsing at the mark.
If they're going to do anything then bring back hooking for both hookers and make a decent competition of it, that'll automatically depower it and bring the height up to a sensible level because the hookers will need leg room.
It's an integral part of the union game in my opinion that if done properly is entertaining.
Great post :smt038.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The red card experiment should be for 2 technical yellows only for me, that seems a balance between discipline & spoiling the game, but running the clock down during yellows needs to be stopped likewise at Scrum time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with much of whats been said previously about the scrum. In my opinion a return to the old rules of the scrum binding and engaging without the referees assistance and instruction would be better and probaly safer, the ball not put in until the scrum was steady and a side causing a delay of the put in penalised. Go back to the ball being put in straight and the hookers striking for the ball once it has hit the ground in the centre of the tunnel.
I do not agree with the Captains appeal, we have three officials on the pitch and a TMO watching, who do you appeal to and how likely are they to change their opinion. I wouldn't mind the addition of a try line judge although this might be just one more person to get in the way of the cameras.
Red Card for the player but a replacement after 20 minutes I can see some merit in, I do agree that in the case of very serious foul play there should be a stronger sanction and the offending team deprived of a man for the remainder of the game.
I do not like the under the post drop out, I think this will just result in enormously long kicks taking play back to the opposing 22, an attacking team penalised, in some cases just because the officials were unable to see a grounding. The drop out is in effect a free kick to the defending team when no offence has been committed.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I have to agree with the dislike of instruction and coaching by the referee. Players are coached at their clubs. The referee can easily signify the unacceptability of a player's action by blowing his whistle and applying the appropriate sanction. Players would soon learn or if they failed to then be subbed I suspect.
I'm not cynical just experienced
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

The way around the cricket style way of enquiring to generate an officials review is for the referee to ask "do you want to make a challenge, if not we just play on" "take this as a warning, the next time you are not happy with my decision if you don't make an official captain's challenge I will treat it as dissent"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

SA teams out again.

A shambolic end to the Pro 14/16 season.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4542906