2021 Lions coaching team confirmed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: 2021 Lions coaching team confirmed

Post by Yorkietiger »

No idea why this debacle is going ahead. Why on God's earth would you send our people into a part of the world that has one of the Covid variants of most concern? Sometimes I think the people managing our game have completely lost the damned plot. Not for the first time have the wants of tv companies and other vested interests been put ahead of players.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yorkietiger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:42 pm No idea why this debacle is going ahead. Why on God's earth would you send our people into a part of the world that has one of the Covid variants of most concern? Sometimes I think the people managing our game have completely lost the damned plot. Not for the first time have the wants of tv companies and other vested interests been put ahead of players.
I'm not sure that's the best argument tbh.

The Kent variant is also one of the most concerning variants (The 3 major concerning ones are Kent, SA & Brazil variants). We have got our outbreak under control are we unwilling to look at how other countries are doing. South Africa seem to have got their's under control given they had just 67 deaths yesterday from it. So I wouldn't class SA as a key hotspot, in the same way the UK isn't the hotspot it was.

The bigger issues is more just the itinerary seems excessive especially when you consider the bubble conditions the players are in plus quarantine at the other end too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

A farce. Without the English contingent and Hogg and others it will be a shadow side with B class coaches. Not good for the brand's image!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I think that the lions could be harder hit by the pandemic than anything thus far but I think there will be others that will also lose their sting. The olympics? The ashes? The latter may well happen with fans but it is not certain. I don’t want to discuss covid in detail but is it not that the SA strain is more vaccine resistant? Must admit the Lions is already watered down- top coaches bit going due to schedule, impact of living in a bubble, no fans, clash with the Prem final. It’s not being all that it could be which is a real shame.

My fear is that Ford will not go and he will surely got down as one of the finest players never to tour with the Lions.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

There has been been ,perhaps unreasonably so, a clamour for this tour and other sporting events to take place to signal the return to 'normality'.Whilst appreciated that we can't hide away for ever safety has to be the primary concern over appearance and finance.Times past, to decline a lions touring place would have been virtually unthinkable - not so now.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think that this is a case of TV money over common sense.

Things may have changed in South Afica in a few months but perhaps the time has come to take a more dispassionate view.

It just wont be a Lions Tour in the traditional sense for the players and the fans and the Covid situation is getting worse in many parts of the world so why would clubs want to risk their players and coaches over and above the normal ones relating to injury.

I can understand Tigers being unwilling to release SB, starting to build a team and unwilling to lose him to the Lions and the implications of likely quarantine on return. Selfish perhaps but I would take the same view. We are not far from being a top team again but with a fair wind the play offs are a realistic target for next season. Losing your head coach for the summer could be the difference.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I understand some people's arguments, however I do fear some posters are confusing the South African variant with the actual pandemic situation in South Africa.

I would have preferred the tour being played in Australia, but never mind. Just hope it all goes well. I also don't think that's a B coaching set-up either, Tandy has established himself as one of the best defensive coaches in international rugby.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If the Euros are going ahead and the Olympics, I am pretty sure a Lions tour can go ahead.

Not concerned with the level of England representation. There was under representation of Scots on the last tour iirc. It's the British and Irish Lions, that's the point, it's not just an English thing.
Last edited by ourla on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

ourla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 am If the Euros are going ahead and the Olympics, I am pretty sure a Lions tour can go ahead.

Not concerned with the level of England representation. There was under representation of Scots on the last tour iirc. It's the British and Irish Lions, that's the point, it's just an English thing.
Presumably "Not" just an English thing. And I agree. But if picking on merit there would be a few more England players than the current nil it looks like being.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am Presumably "Not" just an English thing.
Yes, corrected.
Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 amBut if picking on merit there would be a few more England players than the current nil it looks like being.
Selection is subjective, naturally. There isn't a right or wrong to it, just a bunch of opinions.

Let's see what it brings... I may agree there should be some/more English players once announced..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It’s win win for me,SA are my second team and I can’t really stand Gatland anyway plus I’m not one of those who isnt desperate for The Lions to win so I can just sit back and enjoy every minute of every game,looking forward to it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Despite the heartbreak of the second test, I'm sure most fans will say that the 2009 tour was one of the best there will ever be.

Lions isn't all about the winning, it's about having a good tour, some will argue that bubbles and red tape will take the fun out of this year but who knows what is going to happen, it might be possible that most if not all players and staff could have had a first jab by then...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:06 pm Despite the heartbreak of the second test, I'm sure most fans will say that the 2009 tour was one of the best there will ever be.

Lions isn't all about the winning, it's about having a good tour, some will argue that bubbles and red tape will take the fun out of this year but who knows what is going to happen, it might be possible that most if not all players and staff could have had a first jab by then...
Yes,that tour was incredible! Only a red card and ROG away from winning it! Australia was meh and I couldn’t really get into the NZ tour either. Can’t see many of the players risking the jab while young,fit and healthy.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cape Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Cape Tiger »

It would be a very sad day if the tour were to be cancelled, even though without full houses it won't match the outstanding 2009 series. I can't see where it could be fitted into the future international calendar if postponed. As far as Covid is concerned, both countries are well out of epidemic status. Decline from peak of cases (January in both countries) as of 10th April, 97% in UK and 95% in SA, even without lockdown and only minimal vaccination in SA. Plus the Kent variant seems to outdo the SA version when both are present in a country. Unless the situation changes, I see little risk for players or spectators. Fingers crossed.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Lions management confirm Jersey training camp prior to departure :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/british- ... on-jersey/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....