Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2021 Lions coaching team confirmed

Post by Dokie »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am
ourla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 am If the Euros are going ahead and the Olympics, I am pretty sure a Lions tour can go ahead.

Not concerned with the level of England representation. There was under representation of Scots on the last tour iirc. It's the British and Irish Lions, that's the point, it's just an English thing.
Presumably "Not" just an English thing. And I agree. But if picking on merit there would be a few more England players than the current nil it looks like being.
Nil ?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:54 pm It’s win win for me,SA are my second team and I can’t really stand Gatland anyway plus I’m not one of those who isnt desperate for The Lions to win so I can just sit back and enjoy every minute of every game,looking forward to it!
Can’t stand Gatland. What a surprise!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:54 pm It’s win win for me,SA are my second team and I can’t really stand Gatland anyway plus I’m not one of those who isnt desperate for The Lions to win so I can just sit back and enjoy every minute of every game,looking forward to it!
Can’t stand Gatland. What a surprise!!
It shouldn’t be ,theres a lot of folk that don’t like him.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Dokie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 am
Old Hob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am
ourla wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 am If the Euros are going ahead and the Olympics, I am pretty sure a Lions tour can go ahead.

Not concerned with the level of England representation. There was under representation of Scots on the last tour iirc. It's the British and Irish Lions, that's the point, it's just an English thing.
Presumably "Not" just an English thing. And I agree. But if picking on merit there would be a few more England players than the current nil it looks like being.
Nil ?
As I understand it, not a single Premiership team is prepared to release players
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I assume Saracens wouldn’t have an issue in releasing players? Championship will finish on the 19th June.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Why would clubs not release players if they’re not going to be in the semifinals/final?

“Gatland wants those not involved in the Gallagher Premiership semi-finals and final to be given permission to join up with his squad, declaring that it might harm their selection prospects if they are prevented from taking part in Jersey.”

To me none of this hooah from the PRL clubs makes any sense...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Surely it’s only semi final teams that wouldn’t release their players,and rightly so! If Gatland wants to spit his dummy out and not pick them then let him,the big baby!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The question you have to ask,and it would never happen in a million years anyway because of how poor the teams are,but if the tables were turned and it was the PRO14 semis and AWJ,Tipuric,JD2,North etc were involved and their clubs wouldn’t release them would he still pick them? Of course he would!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The clubs are resisting for a couple of reasons. Like Steve Borthwick, they are concerned that players will not only miss the end of season if they are in the playoffs but definitely the pre-season and possibly the start of next because of quarantine after the long tour. In addition, I think the clubs cannot agree a financial compensation package.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

My issue with Gatland is his time at the Pests & the nonsense of the flying the players in on the last Lions tour, we know why he did it, but it just didn't fit the Lions Ethos.

As for the player release I think a lots of us agree that PRL & The RFU are in an ongoing battle to see who can be the most out of touch & inept.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am My issue with Gatland is his time at the Pests & the nonsense of the flying the players in on the last Lions tour, we know why he did it, but it just didn't fit the Lions Ethos.

As for the player release I think a lots of us agree that PRL & The RFU are in an ongoing battle to see who can be the most out of touch & inept.
What’s inept about trying to keep your best players for a league playoff semi final and final? Absolutely nothing! Gatland just trying to play his face up and getting too big for his boots as he has always tried to do! Good on the GP clubs! If Gatland ends up being a big baby and not picking any of them,that’s on his conscience!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I will stress though my argument only pertains to playoff teams,I don’t believe the GP should be asking for more money or trying to throw a spanner in the works of the other 8 teams releasing players early. That’s wrong!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

The biggest issue is the intransigence of PRL. We had the same problem 4 years ago when they wouldn’t adjust the season to avoid a clash with the Lions. Despite COVID, they could have looked at the bigger rugby picture and done the right thing this time around.
But they already have form this season from not allowing anyone but England to maintain a secure bubble during the 6N.
As a fan, I want to see all the players meet up for the initial bonding sessions together. There actually won’t be many selected from Exeter, Bristol or Quins (most likely finalists IMO) but that’s not the point.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:30 pm The biggest issue is the intransigence of PRL. We had the same problem 4 years ago when they wouldn’t adjust the season to avoid a clash with the Lions. Despite COVID, they could have looked at the bigger rugby picture and done the right thing this time around.
But they already have form this season from not allowing anyone but England to maintain a secure bubble during the 6N.
As a fan, I want to see all the players meet up for the initial bonding sessions together. There actually won’t be many selected from Exeter, Bristol or Quins (most likely finalists IMO) but that’s not the point.
Can only seen LCD, Hogg and Gray being selected from Exeter, as for Bristol probably only Sinckler and Quins maybe just Marler. As Dokie says it's not going to affect things too much, but it's this kind of unnecessary narrow-mindedness of the RFU & PRL that is stagnating the growth of the game.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:32 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am My issue with Gatland is his time at the Pests & the nonsense of the flying the players in on the last Lions tour, we know why he did it, but it just didn't fit the Lions Ethos.

What’s inept about trying to keep your best players for a league playoff semi final and final? Absolutely nothing! Gatland just trying to play his face up and getting too big for his boots as he has always tried to do! Good on the GP clubs! If Gatland ends up being a big baby and not picking any of them,that’s on his conscience!
It was more about PRL & RFU full stop as much as the player release, the clubs might actually be happy to release them (it really is nothing to do with PRL)..having Lions players from your team is a big thing, think Tigers in 97.
To win is not as important as playing with style!