Super User

2021 Lions coaching team confirmed

Post by JP14 »

https://www.lionsrugby.com/2021/04/13/w ... 2021-04-13
  • Gregor Townsend (Scotland) - Attack coach
  • Steve Tandy (Scotland) - Defence coach
  • Robin McBryde (Leinster) - Forwards coach
  • Neil Jenkins (Wales) - Kicking Coach
Apart from Gatland & Jenkins, some fresh blood in the backroom staff this time round.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 2021 Lions coaching team confirmed

Post by fentiger »

No betting coach? :smt044 :smt044
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Pleased that SB is not involved. We need him here over the summer.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Looking at the article on the BBC site, I doubt any of our players will be involved either, more Scots and fewer English is the title, but going on form as to how the England team played, to be expected.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Very telling that there is not (and wasn't) a single current England coach invited.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

With the likes of Borthwick, Rowntree and Farrell supposedly declining jobs presumably due to schedule it makes me wonder if some players may well turn down this tour, we have heard from people like Genge and Jamie George how tough it was in the 6N due to covid measures which are only going to be worse in SA
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Best of Luck to them...fair to say however that other alternatives were locked into non commutable commitments......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The Times now suggesting that Premiership club players will not be released for the Lions. The problem is the overlap with the seasons. Premiership final is June 26th - the same day as a "home" fixture Lions v Japan at Murrayfield. There is also a two week preparation camp beforehand. Scottish players such as Hogg are affected, although most affected will be English players.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Not sure if I am the only one who thinks that this tour should never go ahead. The first concern is sending a full squad and support staff into the heartland of the current, most concerning covid variant. You then have the impact on the players. This will not be like a lions tour, they will be locked in hotels, bussed to training grounds, bussed to matches and bussed back. You then have the lack of fans (who make the tour what it is), more matches in a busy schedule, quarantines after the tour etc and you have a bit of a nightmare, I am not surprised that coaches may have declined the opportunity, if nothing else, how can you prepare a competitive team in those circumstances.

I really can see a number of players opting out this year. Having just come out of the 6 Nations bubble, to then have to go into one again for an extended period, plus hotel quarantine on return to take part in a tour which will be a shadow of the lions experience. Not sure that you will have a full set of willing volunteers.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Premiership Rugby being selfish? I can’t believe it!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

GB72 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 am Not sure if I am the only one who thinks that this tour should never go ahead. The first concern is sending a full squad and support staff into the heartland of the current, most concerning covid variant. You then have the impact on the players. This will not be like a lions tour, they will be locked in hotels, bussed to training grounds, bussed to matches and bussed back. You then have the lack of fans (who make the tour what it is), more matches in a busy schedule, quarantines after the tour etc and you have a bit of a nightmare, I am not surprised that coaches may have declined the opportunity, if nothing else, how can you prepare a competitive team in those circumstances.

I really can see a number of players opting out this year. Having just come out of the 6 Nations bubble, to then have to go into one again for an extended period, plus hotel quarantine on return to take part in a tour which will be a shadow of the lions experience. Not sure that you will have a full set of willing volunteers.
Absolutely. Still it gives Gatlandthe excuse to pick the whole Welsh team instead of half.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm
GB72 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:23 am Not sure if I am the only one who thinks that this tour should never go ahead. The first concern is sending a full squad and support staff into the heartland of the current, most concerning covid variant. You then have the impact on the players. This will not be like a lions tour, they will be locked in hotels, bussed to training grounds, bussed to matches and bussed back. You then have the lack of fans (who make the tour what it is), more matches in a busy schedule, quarantines after the tour etc and you have a bit of a nightmare, I am not surprised that coaches may have declined the opportunity, if nothing else, how can you prepare a competitive team in those circumstances.

Absolutely. Still it gives Gatlandthe excuse to pick the whole Welsh team instead of half.
He is welcome to. I would be totally supportive of players stating that they wanted no part of this and would not be surprised if quite a number took this stance. I am not even sure how this tour is even going to be the usual Lions financial success with no crowds and no visitors putting money into local economies.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:52 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm

He is welcome to. I would be totally supportive of players stating that they wanted no part of this and would not be surprised if quite a number took this stance. I am not even sure how this tour is even going to be the usual Lions financial success with no crowds and no visitors putting money into local economies.
I reckon a lot of players like Genge with young families may be passing on this tour.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I can’t see the justification in going ahead with this tour for the reasons in earlier posts. From a players point of view, being selected for a Lions’ tour would be the pinnacle of their career, and it still will be for some this year, but with the obligations to remain in a bubble for the duration would take away much of the gloss. No socializing, visits to schools, and if stadiums are empty, no typical Lions’ atmosphere. I was fortunate enough to go to two matches of the 1997 tour to South Africa and the memories will stay with me forever. This tour should really have been postponed until this wretched covid crisis is well and truly under control, or am I being unrealistic?
Semper in excretia
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm I can’t see the justification in going ahead with this tour for the reasons in earlier posts. From a players point of view, being selected for a Lions’ tour would be the pinnacle of their career, and it still will be for some this year, but with the obligations to remain in a bubble for the duration would take away much of the gloss. No socializing, visits to schools, and if stadiums are empty, no typical Lions’ atmosphere. I was fortunate enough to go to two matches of the 1997 tour to South Africa and the memories will stay with me forever. This tour should really have been postponed until this wretched covid crisis is well and truly under control, or am I being unrealistic?
No, I think that you are being perfectly realistic. This has disaster written all over it for the reasons mentioned and South Africa get little from it due to no ticket sales and no international visitors. I can only guess that the Lions have spent the TV and sponsorship money attributable to this tour and have no option but to go ahead with it.