RELEGATION SUSPENDED UNTIL 2024-25?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

RELEGATION SUSPENDED UNTIL 2024-25?

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: RELEGATION SUSPENDED UNTIL 2024-25?

Post by kk20gb30 »

The Mail (Online) article basically echo's recent 'informed speculation' by The Rugby Paper.
Tend to believe this is the objective , although BT Sport are a little disconcerted by the removal of the threat of relegation apparently ...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I read somewhere that BT were concerned about matches between bottom clubs would be less attractive without the threat of possible relegation. However, as others have pointed out, most seasons there has been one team who have been the obvious candidate from about round 4 and have rarely 'disappointed'. It will be interesting to see how teams go in the latter rounds when there is only pride to play for.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

I am all in favour of ring fencing, I see no benefit in the yo-yo of promotion and relegation, it is just another excuse to allow a rich individual to pump money into a team happily playing in the championship so they can claim the kudos of the rags to riches story.
It does nothing for the quality of the rugby we see, a team playing rubbish will change coaches and players to start to compete again, the threat of relegation stifles many teams and coaches so leads to boring matches where both teams are afraid of losing rather than trying to win games and fans.
I do not see what Ealing bring to the table but a big wallet and matching ego, we already have Rowe, Wray and Craig competing for that role!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Promotion and relegation would be great if we had a competitive league below the prem, as that's not the case at the moment ring fencing is probably right.
However, all involved at the top table should be looking to make the second teir more competitive, in order to generate a wider playing field for home grown talent. RFU don't seem to want this though....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I do not see what Ealing bring to the table
Please refer to Exeter and Bristol for details....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'm not really in favour of ring fencing, with season being Covid affected it's fair enough but in time it might provide the opportunity for the money men to get too carried away again and Leicester would possibly be under pressure to change their model to compete.
However I'm more comfortable with that possibility now that Leicester have started to sort out the mess in their academy, it was a shambles before with more Dad's present than a maternity ward.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think for the good of the game promotion and relegation are essential, we need money from whatever source to be invested in our sport, it is ridiculous that there are vast areas of the country without access to a Premiership club, a local derby for Newcastle is Sale, there is no top level rugby in the South of England between Kent and Exeter and none in the rugby hot bed of Cornwall.. If we are happy that our sport should be limited to a narrow area fine no relegation but if we want out game to grow maintain the chance of clubs growing and improving. If Ealing come up I don't know what they will bring to the Premiership but they and others have to be given the opportunity to be an Exeter or Worcester. We need a second tier to be at least as strong as the French Division 2 and that takes money, few will invest if there is not the hope of better things to aim for.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I was wondering about Doncaster giving they are doing well in the Championship and arguably in as good a position as Ealing and came across this interesting article:

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sp ... ts-3177281

I do think you have to go one way or another... that is to say in essence either ring fence unequivocally or really beef up the second tier so that teams can move between the two and those going down can survive and those going up compete.

I think maybe the issue has been kicked down the road or fudged for several years.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

With relegation suspended each Premiership team could have an official feeder club which they support and loan players to instead of A game.

We could have Nottingham, Wasps have Coventry and Harlequins have Saracens......etc. 😁
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

An utter joke
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Great news for me! Remember all those who said this season would be a write off and there would be nothing to play for and the games would be poor? Whoops!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:34 pm Great news for me! Remember all those who said this season would be a write off and there would be nothing to play for and the games would be poor? Whoops!
Agreed. Happy with this if it comes to fruition. We can really focus on rebuilding (which is already well under way) and by the time relegation is back in we will hopefully be regularly competing at the top of the table once again! :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This never would have been the case beyond this season had the RFU actually gave a toss about the Championship and made it competitive, but no it seems they’re so desperate to maintain the old boys club unless you can buy your way in.

Absolute shambles.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If Saracens don't get promoted (unlikely I know) who thinks this will actually happen?

If a team breaks the Salary Cap could they still get relegated?

Next logical step will be franchises or regions unless there is a realism over player wages as the English game can't support the number of pro clubs it has now in a viable way.

I agree with the decision this season, longterm not so sure, theoretically you could end up with rugby like Super Rugby, but a) Not Sure a lot of NH players have the basic skill level to do it & b) The occasional grind game makes the good ones better.
To win is not as important as playing with style!