Jasper Wiese

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jasper Wiese

Post by RunTigerRun »

Not quite sure where to put this, but a great interview with Jasper in SA Rugby Mag.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/wiese-bok-dream-much-mind/

To think he almost retired at 21... credit down to his attitude and drive.

Love hearing him talking about how he isn’t happy with his performances, even though (despite the occasional flirt with cards...) most of us would disagree!

Can’t wait to see this guy develop and experience a full Welford Road during one of his barnstorming runs!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Jasper Wiese

Post by iceman_19 »

Was just about to post this! Great read.

Astonishing that his debut against Gloucester was 3 days after spending four weeks in quarantine. I thought early on that he looked like he still had some conditioning to do. He certainly looks more lean and muscular now, frightening to think what Aled may be able to unleash....

Also good to hear how he looks up to OTY, although haven’t seen too many comparisons between him and Schalk Burger to be honest!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm Not quite sure where to put this, but a great interview with Jasper in SA Rugby Mag.

Love hearing him talking about how he isn’t happy with his performances, even though (despite the occasional flirt with cards...) most of us would disagree!

Can’t wait to see this guy develop and experience a full Welford Road during one of his barnstorming runs!
It might be a bit of a shock for him when he runs out into a full Welford Road and realises he's become a fan favourite. Like you say his ears will be ringing after his first barnstorming carry.

If we can just sort his ruck technique he's the number 8 we've needed for years.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:55 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm Not quite sure where to put this, but a great interview with Jasper in SA Rugby Mag.

It might be a bit of a shock for him when he runs out into a full Welford Road and realises he's become a fan favourite. Like you say his ears will be ringing after his first barnstorming carry.

If we can just sort his ruck technique he's the number 8 we've needed for years.
Based on his own views on how his game is it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s already working hard on those aspects.

His discipline after the marginally early tackle in the air on one of the Falcons players in the QF, when they all came to try and cause a scrap was impeccable!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Crazy to think how well he played against Gloucester in his first game with on the back of four weeks quarantine and three days of training! Good to see he is getting the recognition back home in South Africa.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Simply cannot fail to be impressed.Massive impact - in every sense ....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
rugbym4dmike
Tiger Cub

Post by rugbym4dmike »

To think he hasn't reached his full potential, provided we can keep him and the other backrowers for a few years, the future looks brighter than it's been for an age.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Great find, best No 8 in the premiership. As are a number of others in our team, now !
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Yes best 8 in the Premiership.
No international age grade history.
Considered hanging up his boots.
I really enjoyed the expression of appreciation when Callum Chick put a big tackle on him in the first meeting with Newcastle a few weeks ago, and then Wiese went after more again and again.
Proper rugger player.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

BFG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 pm Yes best 8 in the Premiership.
I really enjoyed the expression of appreciation when Callum Chick put a big tackle on him in the first meeting with Newcastle a few weeks ago, and then Wiese went after more again and again.
Proper rugger player.
Mr Faletau might have a claim to that title. I think Wiese is fantastic. As so many contributors have said, he's just what we needed. But IMHO to be 'the best' in the prem, he's got to be doing it all the time, for a long time etc, in crunch games. None of which is to say I can't wait to cheer him on when WR re-opens.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Proper rugger player.
Mr Faletau might have a claim to that title. I think Wiese is fantastic. As so many contributors have said, he's just what we needed. But IMHO to be 'the best' in the prem, he's got to be doing it all the time, for a long time etc, in crunch games. None of which is to say I can't wait to cheer him on when WR re-opens.
I did actually think about that before making such a statement.
That he is 25 edged it for me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

What else to say,a beast and the league's best 8 for me (excluding international and Lions games)

Faletau is like Underhill,but not as bad. Doesn't show for Bath anywhere he does for Wales
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A truly great capture for us. :smt023
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

BFG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:13 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm
Proper rugger player.
I did actually think about that before making such a statement.
That he is 25 edged it for me.
Which makes the prospect of a Weise v Faletau match up at the week end and whisper it softly, maybe even in the Challenge Cup Final, all the more mouthwatering. Not least because Gatland and probably the South African management will aware of it. Exciting times for Tigers to even be having the conversation about one of our forwards being the best in the premiership. It's been a long time coming, but now with Weise, Montoya, Van Staden on his way. Martin at 19. I don't know who was responsible but some of the recruitment over the last year has been really top notch. Not just as players - but seemingly as people.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Not sure I like this calling of stardom so early.

Like the rest of them, they are long way from dining at the top table.

Sorry to be putting a dampener on just wary of getting ahead of ourselves.

Faletau, as a for instance, has been doing it for years at club and international level.