Jasper Wiese

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Jasper Wiese

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wiese is a fantastic player and could be exactly the number 8 we have been looking for. I personally don't think he's quite there yet as he hasn't fully adapted to the new interpretation of the rules and is still flying into rucks and sailing slightly too close too the wind for my liking with regards to potential head contact.

He is an absolute machine, gives 100% unquestionably every time he puts on the shirt but his discipline is the one question mark for me. If he can rein it in a little he will be one of the first names on the team sheet along with Liebenberg and Ford but he has to stay on the pitch
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If he is doing the same in 12 months then you can judge, also can we as a team use him correctly, the big ball carrier doesn't always have to carry the ball to be effective.
Needs to stay on the pitch & be more aware of what's around him, the fantastic break against Connacht but then the almost blinkered approach of looking for contact.
He is doing what I hoped Taufua would have done for us.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The thought of Weise,Liebenberg and Van Staden is salivating!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:44 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:13 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Mr Faletau might have a claim to that title. I think Wiese is fantastic. As so many contributors have said, he's just what we needed. But IMHO to be 'the best' in the prem, he's got to be doing it all the time, for a long time etc, in crunch games. None of which is to say I can't wait to cheer him on when WR re-opens.
I did actually think about that before making such a statement.
That he is 25 edged it for me.
Which makes the prospect of a Weise v Faletau match up at the week end and whisper it softly, maybe even in the Challenge Cup Final, all the more mouthwatering. Not least because Gatland and probably the South African management will aware of it. Exciting times for Tigers to even be having the conversation about one of our forwards being the best in the premiership. It's been a long time coming, but now with Weise, Montoya, Van Staden on his way. Martin at 19. I don't know who was responsible but some of the recruitment over the last year has been really top notch. Not just as players - but seemingly as people.
It’s more likely to be head to head between Mercer/Wiese and Faletau/Martin on recent selections. Still very mouth watering!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Faletau is a different type of Number 8, and I agree with WRFC, that break against Connacht was amazing but he should have passed to Porter on the outside before taking the fourth contact. It’s the know-how of whether to take contact or not is something that needs adding to his game as well improving his ruck technique, but once he does Wiese could truly become world standard.

Unfortunately, I do doubt he will be in most Premiership XVs of the season, because his name isn’t Sam Simmonds...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think his story is testament to the fact that rugby is too focused on young men (and women too) who are already physically developed at 17/18, Wiese didn’t start filling out until he was 20. There needs to be a lot more patience with some players and a recognition that some won’t start coming to the fore until their early 20s rather than late teens.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

JP14 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:33 am I think his story is testament to the fact that rugby is too focused on young men (and women too) who are already physically developed at 17/18, Wiese didn’t start filling out until he was 20. There needs to be a lot more patience with some players and a recognition that some won’t start coming to the fore until their early 20s rather than late teens.
It is also true that experience + physicality is better than physicality alone. Jasper is a very good player and he does play 'on the edge' as is the case for many standout players. Experience will give him (hopefully) the skills to play on the edge rather than just over the edge and with that he will be potentially world class. I look forward to witnessing his development for many years to come.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Agreed, experience has made him fight for every inch rather than lazily rely on his size to get through contact.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:33 am I think his story is testament to the fact that rugby is too focused on young men (and women too) who are already physically developed at 17/18, Wiese didn’t start filling out until he was 20. There needs to be a lot more patience with some players and a recognition that some won’t start coming to the fore until their early 20s rather than late teens.
Wasn't that one of the issues in South Africa where a lot of young players were feeling obliged to take anabolics to be physically powerful enough in their teens to be spotted and taken on through to higher levels?

Some of those that didn't were lost to rugby and others that matured later found a different path like Wiese. Our gain.

Still needs to identify the limits to avoid crossing them as the new punishments are draconian.