Jackal cheats

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Jackal cheats

Post by Noggs »

I've noticed a number of cases where the jackaler at the breakdown secures the ball from the tackled player but does not lift it in order to gain a penalty. This happened late in the Ulster/Saints game where the player on the ground released the ball which was held against his body by the jackaler's left hand whilst he held onto his body with his right arm. As soon as the whistle was blown he lifted the ball with his left hand with a big grin on his face. The refs need to look out for this more.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Jackal cheats

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 am I've noticed a number of cases where the jackaler at the breakdown secures the ball from the tackled player but does not lift it in order to gain a penalty. This happened late in the Ulster/Saints game where the player on the ground released the ball which was held against his body by the jackaler's left hand whilst he held onto his body with his right arm. As soon as the whistle was blown he lifted the ball with his left hand with a big grin on his face. The refs need to look out for this more.
A tough one to spot that but you're right it needs policing. It's a bit like in other areas of the game.. is a player going off their feet at the ruck or is the defending player stepping backwards? At scrum time is the front row pushing early or the opposition stepping back? The player on the floor has clearly rolled away but the 9 theatrically falls over him to draw the penalty. Or the 9 simply throwing the ball into a retreating offside player to draw the penalty... Lots of areas of the game have similar things and they all need a watchful eye from the referee. Sadly I don't think many of the Premiership referees are likely to spot this sort of behaviour and it will just be the player on the floor getting pinged each time
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

You could call these things 'game craft' and I am certain that some of it is coached. The refs job at this level is very difficult and he won't spot everything but this is a relative new one to me and hasn't to my knowledge been highlighted and discussed. No doubt someone will be able to tell me I am wrong in this.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If a jackaller (sp?) has their hands on the ball but doesn't attempt to pick it up a penalty should be awarded against the jackaller.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:20 am
Noggs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 am I've noticed a number of cases where the jackaler at the breakdown secures the ball from the tackled player but does not lift it in order to gain a penalty. This happened late in the Ulster/Saints game where the player on the ground released the ball which was held against his body by the jackaler's left hand whilst he held onto his body with his right arm. As soon as the whistle was blown he lifted the ball with his left hand with a big grin on his face. The refs need to look out for this more.
A tough one to spot that but you're right it needs policing. It's a bit like in other areas of the game.. is a player going off their feet at the ruck or is the defending player stepping backwards? At scrum time is the front row pushing early or the opposition stepping back? The player on the floor has clearly rolled away but the 9 theatrically falls over him to draw the penalty. Or the 9 simply throwing the ball into a retreating offside player to draw the penalty... Lots of areas of the game have similar things and they all need a watchful eye from the referee. Sadly I don't think many of the Premiership referees are likely to spot this sort of behaviour and it will just be the player on the floor getting pinged each time
That have stopped falling for the 9 throwing the ball at a retreating player and did start awarding penalties against the 9 so it very rarely happens anymore
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm
That have stopped falling for the 9 throwing the ball at a retreating player and did start awarding penalties against the 9 so it very rarely happens anymore
Good.. I'm glad.. used to really annoy me when players did that.. bit like diving in football :smt018 seem to remember Stringer used to do it a fair bit.. memory might have him mixed up with somebody else but glad it's being stamped out
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:06 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Good.. I'm glad.. used to really annoy me when players did that.. bit like diving in football :smt018 seem to remember Stringer used to do it a fair bit.. memory might have him mixed up with somebody else but glad it's being stamped out
Then again, I sympathize when the retreating players repeatedly decide to go the "long way" round the ruck, slowing everything down... something which certain teams are clearly being coached to do...