EUROPEAN SEMI FINALS

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: EUROPEAN SEMI FINALS

Post by Tigers86asw »

On the issue of discipline I watched the game again yesterday and Lavanini’s penalty I swear was given just because it was him. Happy to be corrected but it seemed to me he was just running towards the ball. I suppose it raise the question of whether refs pre judge teams with bad disciplinary records.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

At the time I thought it was Lavinini but upon rewatching it was very harsh!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm

Was it an Ulster Player? I thought it was one of the touch judges who called it in on the ref mic?
Not sure mate. I think someone called it as an Ulster player during the game. Yes just chased it up,Crofty posted he heard Ulster call it.
I heard someone call it myself, just with the fact the assistant refs are mic'ed up I assumed it was the assistant not a player as we could hear them clearer
Didn't sound like it does when it's the person wearing the mic, it had the usual lack of "bassines" that voices picked up from elsewhere do.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:55 pm On the issue of discipline I watched the game again yesterday and Lavanini’s penalty I swear was given just because it was him. Happy to be corrected but it seemed to me he was just running towards the ball. I suppose it raise the question of whether refs pre judge teams with bad disciplinary records.
They almost certainly do, they are human after all, and that it's not really talked about publicly is one of the downsidesof our sport's, on the whole very positive if occasionally excessive, absolute deference to him (or her) with the whistle...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm At the time I thought it was Lavinini but upon rewatching it was very harsh!
Agreed. I was fuming at him giving away such a stupid needless penalty but having seen it again it was very harsh
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:06 pm At the time I thought it was Lavinini but upon rewatching it was very harsh!
Agreed. I was fuming at him giving away such a stupid needless penalty but having seen it again it was very harsh
I thought the Ulster player milked it rather well to buy a penalty when his team were under pressure. Definitely thought it should have been our penalty as there was absolutely no reason to shove Lavanini into the path of Steward and effectively take the player out in the air. Dangerous play and a penalty surely.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:44 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm
I thought the Ulster player milked it rather well to buy a penalty when his team were under pressure. Definitely thought it should have been our penalty as there was absolutely no reason to shove Lavanini into the path of Steward and effectively take the player out in the air. Dangerous play and a penalty surely.
Glad I’m not alone on this one!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good point about pushing him into Steward!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:29 pm Good point about pushing him into Steward!
Just watched the incident again and I really can’t see how the referee has pinged Lavanini there :smt017

I’m just glad that decision/try wasn’t the match winning score! :smt013
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Kind of ironic..
Twickenham named as venue for the Euro Finals replacing Marseilles with the result being an all French Champions Cup Final between La Rochelle and Toulouse .
Such is life......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Quality of domestic opposition hampering Leinster chances in Europe according to Brian O'Driscoll :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... l-20525945
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am Quality of domestic opposition hampering Leinster chances in Europe according to Brian O'Driscoll :

So how did they manage to win it in 2017/18 and get to the final in 2018/19?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ourla wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am Quality of domestic opposition hampering Leinster chances in Europe according to Brian O'Driscoll :

I do think the pro 14 has gone downhill since then.
One of those the top 3 teams have progressed whilst the mid table teams dropped to the bottom of the table teams standards.
Teams like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Treviso have suffered a lot this season.

Of the 8 teams that qualified to the champions cup next season only 3 teams had a positive win/loss record.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:13 pm
ourla wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am

I do think the pro 14 has gone downhill since then.
One of those the top 3 teams have progressed whilst the mid table teams dropped to the bottom of the table teams standards.
Teams like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Treviso have suffered a lot this season.

Of the 8 teams that qualified to the champions cup next season only 3 teams had a positive win/loss record.
But he says "Leinster have won the PRO14 the last few years at a canter" so I don't think he's just talking about the last two seasons... which have been massively affected by the pandemic... for everyone.

Many of the reasons the Pro14 is relatively weak is intrinsic to the unions and organisation involved. Which, not so long back we were told were strengths.

I think the pendulum swings this way and that - and when it does the pundits tell you the relative failure is for the same reason it was relatively successful not so long back.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Don't forget that they normally have at least 4 pool games against English and French teams to get battle hardened. This year should have been 6 (v Montpellier, Saints and Wasps) but only got 2. Along with a curtailed Pro14, its no surprise if they were undercooked this season.