Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: EUROPEAN SEMI FINALS

Post by BFG »

Dokie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am
BFG wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:47 am I watched our semi-final against Ulster and thought that Cooney getting injured was a big turning point.
The fella was playing out of his skin in my opinion, it was one of those performances that you see every once in a while and can only WOW at.
Great comeback from Tigers though to take advantage and the win.
Shows how important the 23 can be these days.
You’re right, he was having a Faf type game. We may have got lucky there but he was playing behind the dominant pack at the time.
Yes I reckon it was highly likely that the Tigers would come back and getting the win was dependent on how far ahead Ulster could get.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:29 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:49 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:29 pm
Yep, you do, to the high heavens when they're good and kick them when they're :censored:. Pretty much the same as
Oz, but just a bit more extreme (you that is) :smt002
Looks like I’ve got a fangirl,you want an autograph? 😂
Changing the subject (yet again), as usual when you're not winning, but necessary for someone who needs to have the final word :smt002
Come on gents (or ladies?) we are all in this together. It’s a forum and people are more than entitled to their own views. Some we will agree with and some we won’t but we don’t need to turn on each other. I agree with much of what Scott posts and respect his views and if he posts something that I don’t agree with.. well that’s his prerogative.

Let’s just respect that and enjoy the rebuilding of our beloved Club :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Many posters on here complaining of our discipline, the facts are that we usually concede fewer penalties than the opposition but for some reason we get the cards. Tom Youngs got a yellow, it was certainly a penalty and as it was one of three offences by our team in quick succession close to our try line I am not surprised by the card. Ulster commited over all more offences than us including one very similar to Tom's admittedly in the middle of the park but no cards. The previous week the card for Wells was a travesty. One thing I am sorry about is that with the final being against Montpellier we will not have a French referee and they seem to be better at the moment, certainly they discuss situations with the TMO and then make their own decisions unlike Dickson who accepts instruction from the less qualified official.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pm Many posters on here complaining of our discipline, the facts are that we usually concede fewer penalties than the opposition but for some reason we get the cards. Tom Youngs got a yellow, it was certainly a penalty and as it was one of three offences by our team in quick succession close to our try line I am not surprised by the card. Ulster commited over all more offences than us including one very similar to Tom's admittedly in the middle of the park but no cards. The previous week the card for Wells was a travesty. One thing I am sorry about is that with the final being against Montpellier we will not have a French referee and they seem to be better at the moment, certainly they discuss situations with the TMO and then make their own decisions unlike Dickson who accepts instruction from the less qualified official.
Int that sequence I didn’t think that Weise was offside,looked like he timed his run perfectly. I remember someone said on the night that the Ulster player called offside and the ref gave it?! If so that’s a joke! Nothing worse than players reffing games
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pm Many posters on here complaining of our discipline, the facts are that we usually concede fewer penalties than the opposition but for some reason we get the cards. Tom Youngs got a yellow, it was certainly a penalty and as it was one of three offences by our team in quick succession close to our try line I am not surprised by the card. Ulster commited over all more offences than us including one very similar to Tom's admittedly in the middle of the park but no cards. The previous week the card for Wells was a travesty. One thing I am sorry about is that with the final being against Montpellier we will not have a French referee and they seem to be better at the moment, certainly they discuss situations with the TMO and then make their own decisions unlike Dickson who accepts instruction from the less qualified official.
This is an interesting one JtG and a good point to raise. Penalty counts and cards:

Tigers vs Ulster - 8 (1) vs 10 (0)
Tigers vs Saints - 10 (2) vs 12 (1)
Bath vs Tigers - 10 (0) vs 14 (0)
Tigers vs Newcastle - 6 (0) vs 17 (3,1)
Tigers vs Connacht - 15 (1) vs 8 (1)
Tigers vs Newcastle - 14 (2) vs 17 (1)
Exeter vs Tigers - 12(1) vs 11 (1,1)
Glos vs Tigers - 12 (0) vs 10 (0)
Tigers vs Irish - 15 (2) vs 18 (1,1)
Bristol vs Tigers 17 (0) vs 13 (1)

All in all it's fairly even but every so often there is definitely a case for what you mention. Bristol vs Tigers for example.. Bristol concede 17 penalties to our 13 yet we are the ones that end up with a card (and it was a ridiculous decision to call that a deliberate knock on by Moroni!)

Tigers Ulster I can understand. We were under pressure and continuing to give away similar penalties in the red zone. Had they not scored when they did I wouldn't have been surprised to see another one following Youngs into the bin. When we had our pressure at the end of the first half in their red zone they only conceded a few penalties in a row. Had that scrum collapse been given in our favour then I think they would have seen yellow too.

Definitely agree about the referee for the final. At least we know it won't be Dickson!! Shame it can't be Poite as I'd really like him on the whistle but I would take Brace over the likes of Dickson any day!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just watching the short highlights now. Porter was tackled around the neck but a try was still subsequently scored by Weise and Ulster slowed the ball down on their own line cynically but it was recycled and Genge still scored. I don’t think a try being conceded should be classed as a punishment and both should’ve still been yellow cards, thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 pm Just watching the short highlights now. Porter was tackled around the neck but a try was still subsequently scored by Weise and Ulster slowed the ball down on their own line cynically but it was recycled and Genge still scored. I don’t think a try being conceded should be classed as a punishment and both should’ve still been yellow cards, thoughts?
I completely agree but It's often the way though sadly
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
Int that sequence I didn’t think that Weise was offside,looked like he timed his run perfectly. I remember someone said on the night that the Ulster player called offside and the ref gave it?! If so that’s a joke! Nothing worse than players reffing games
Was it an Ulster Player? I thought it was one of the touch judges who called it in on the ref mic?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:16 pm
Was it an Ulster Player? I thought it was one of the touch judges who called it in on the ref mic?
Not sure mate. I think someone called it as an Ulster player during the game. Yes just chased it up,Crofty posted he heard Ulster call it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 pm
Not sure mate. I think someone called it as an Ulster player during the game. Yes just chased it up,Crofty posted he heard Ulster call it.
I heard someone call it myself, just with the fact the assistant refs are mic'ed up I assumed it was the assistant not a player as we could hear them clearer
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:25 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:18 pm

I heard someone call it myself, just with the fact the assistant refs are mic'ed up I assumed it was the assistant not a player as we could hear them clearer
Yeah that sounds more likely.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm One thing that frustrates me more than anything else in that first half was Youngs yellow card.. it’s hard to see if he’s offside or not, again it’s hard to see if the first time he grabs Burns arm the ball had been lifted but the second time he’s clearly on the floor and just blatantly giving away a penalty right in front of the referee.. it’s so stupid, so obvious and so costly (14 points).
I agree it was a stupid penalty to give away and I've no complaints about the card but..

#1 I think we would have conceded points anyway the way we were playing.
#2 The cards have been shared through the team, there isn't one individual who is the culprit.
#3 T Youngs in general has been playing very well this season. We don't know when Montoya will be back so we will need him in the weeks ahead.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ourla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:32 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:55 pm One thing that frustrates me more than anything else in that first half was Youngs yellow card.. it’s hard to see if he’s offside or not, again it’s hard to see if the first time he grabs Burns arm the ball had been lifted but the second time he’s clearly on the floor and just blatantly giving away a penalty right in front of the referee.. it’s so stupid, so obvious and so costly (14 points).
I agree it was a stupid penalty to give away and I've no complaints about the card but..

#1 I think we would have conceded points anyway the way we were playing.
#2 The cards have been shared through the team, there isn't one individual who is the culprit.
#3 T Youngs in general has been playing very well this season. We don't know when Montoya will be back so we will need him in the weeks ahead.
#1 perhaps.. although with 14 men we conceded 14 points in 10 minutes and with 15 men with conceded 10 points in 70 minutes so hard to think that the card wasn't costly.
#2 Agreed
#3 Agreed and I'm not questioning his ability or commitment to this club. I do think Clare has been in better form and Montoya will be our first choice but agree we need all hands on deck in the run in, especially with uncertainty over Montoya's fitness
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pm Many posters on here complaining of our discipline, the facts are that we usually concede fewer penalties than the opposition but for some reason we get the cards.
So you think officials are colluding against us or you think maybe our penalties are more serious/blatant and therefore we get more cards?
johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pmTom Youngs got a yellow, it was certainly a penalty and as it was one of three offences by our team in quick succession close to our try line I am not surprised by the card.
Cool, so no officials bias there then.
johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pmUlster commited over all more offences than us including one very similar to Tom's admittedly in the middle of the park but no cards.
Refs don't pay as much store by offences in the middle of the park compared to a couple of metres from the try line. Well, who knew.
johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:50 pmThe previous week the card for Wells was a travesty.
It wasn't. You don't charge down a kickers standing leg.

All seems a bit red white and green spectacled to me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Agree with johnthegriff. A clothesline on Porter was ignored just because we happened to score and Ulster cynically killed the ball on their line which was ignored because we also scored. Conceding a try shouldn't be classed as a punishment so Ulster should've had 2 yellows.