EUROPEAN SEMI FINALS

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: EUROPEAN SEMI FINALS

Post by Scott1 »

Hold on,the website is contradicting itself! On the fixture list it only says May 1/2 but on the news article of the draw it says 30 April and May 1/2.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:12 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:09 pm why not have 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday instead of having one Friday night?
Why?! Some people enjoy a Friday night game after a long hard slog at work with a beer or 8 and a curry. Used to love Friday night WR games too.
it just makes more sense you are going to get a bigger audience Saturday and Sunday then Friday night
Who cares? We are not there so it doesn’t matter. And I would’ve thought that more people have more to do on a Saturday afternoon than a Friday night but I dont know if the viewing figures back that up.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Well pleased to be wrong. To win this we would probably need to beat Ulster as I know Bath wouldn't. If we arrive in good fettle, could be our breakout game.
Also chuffed Leinster got a hospital pass.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:24 pm
Offside wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:22 pm Yes Ulster confirmed. Draw was live on BT Sport, for some reason. I hope it is not the Friday night game but I suspect one of the two Challenge cup games will be. Not sure when that will be decided.

Looking forward to some good games in the next 3 week. Tigers to win all of them 😁.
they are the channel showing the competitions its quite normal for them to show the draw, they do so for their Football cups so I would expect nothing less for Rugby
Agreed, but it is a European competition so I was expecting one of the other broadcasters may want to be involved?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Offside wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:40 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:24 pm
Offside wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:22 pm Yes Ulster confirmed. Draw was live on BT Sport, for some reason. I hope it is not the Friday night game but I suspect one of the two Challenge cup games will be. Not sure when that will be decided.

Looking forward to some good games in the next 3 week. Tigers to win all of them 😁.
they are the channel showing the competitions its quite normal for them to show the draw, they do so for their Football cups so I would expect nothing less for Rugby
Agreed, but it is a European competition so I was expecting one of the other broadcasters may want to be involved?
BT Sport are the primary broadcasters with the broadcasting rights for the European rugby competitions.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

True, Tigerbeat and amusing to hear commentator talk about French TV director bingo - slo-mo shot, raindrops, through legs shot...
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Odds to win the comp

Ulster 5/2
Leicester 9/2
Bath 5/1
Montpelier 7/1

Ulster fans very bullish on their forum.

I'm not saying we'll win but I think we are different gravy to a year ago or two years ago and slowly but surely improving. Maybe not soon enough to beat Ulster but certainly more a challenge to look forward than to fear.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ulster fans are still talking about their record v us like it has anything to do with this squad and coaches.

They only beat us by 1 point in 2019, when we was on a real downward spiral.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

My Ulster mate is tipping us to beat them. But then he's always really pessmistic about their chances....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:01 pm Ulster fans are still talking about their record v us like it has anything to do with this squad and coaches.

They only beat us by 1 point in 2019, when we was on a real downward spiral.
Isn't there classic Johnno "look at me, I'm really a centre" long run in try against Ulster somewhere in the archive?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Leicesterr

Post by Leicesterr »

Ulster are due to have back Henderson and Addison for this game

This will be very tough against a side that have lost just two games in the pro14 this season both to Leinster
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicesterr wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 pm Ulster are due to have back Henderson and Addison for this game

This will be very tough against a side that have lost just two games in the pro14 this season both to Leinster
My understanding Addison is unlikely to feature.

A lot of the wins have been tight, Dragons by 4, Glasgow by 6, Munster by 5. Gloucester beat them in the Champions Cup.

I understand they have no fixtures scheduled between now and the game which could help them or not.

Don't get me wrong it will be a tough game but I think it's a realistic test for us given where we are at.

Of course a lot depends if we play well and remain largely suspension and injury free for Ulster. And if we play enough to get wins against Bath and Saints momentum and confidence will be massive. But let's see..
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Tough opponents (much like old times) , a difficult game but a home Semi Final is a test to be savoured.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Ulster seem a good side but nothing for us to fear,
especially with our England contingent back and us being at home.

McCloskey is key for them as he gives them so much go forward and Henderson is their talisman- excellent player. However they do not have Coetzee who was so important to them and I still fancy us to match them physically.

Their lack of games could be a blessing or a curse but they did look very fit against Northampton. I don’t think they will be that familiar with us given how new our team is. I am also wary of many results in the pro 14 given how poor so many teams are. Their result against Saints is there most impressive this year and they will not have it so easy up front against us.
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Top of the morning Tigers Fans. It's been a while, I've largely retired from spreading wisdom, even on the mighty UAFC where I'm having a Mexican standoff with the owner for his stubborn refusal to make me chief moderator. :smt003

However, I've always enjoyed the contests with Tigers, going back to Johnno's days when we felt barely worthy to be on the same pitch, which made the wins all the sweeter. And yes the record book favours us but so what?

Changed days of course and many at home will feel favourites to beat anyone but Leinster, our -and many others - nemeisis. I don't see it that way, semi-finals are hard work especially away.

It'll be a contest, if we have Henderson & Coetzee back, it is a push in the right direction, I very much doubt you need to consider Addison, a very good operator but sadly often something of a chocolate fireguard, neither use nor ornament, poor fella.

For info, we do actually have a game or games due before the semi, the Rainbow Cup (part fanciful part farce) is due to start with 3 InterPro derbies, Connacht first up at Ravenhill and despite it's absence on the Ulster website, I believe it is due on the weekend before the semi, so Ulster will be lightly run.

Anyway, regards to all, good to be playing you again.