Away vs Bath 18th April

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by Scott1 »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm WIth certain people blaming Wiese for the loss, could anybody tell me which law says that you are not allowed to push your opponent when the ball is out of play? Or has the ref made this up because he does not like to see it? The only laws which could come close for me would be retaliation (but surely this would be a punch or something similar, not just a push), or ungentlemanly conduct, which also stretches the law like crazy. I am genuinly interested.

IMHO normally, at least until recently, Wiese would have been just told to grow up and stop being a very naughty boy.
Did we have a penalty at the time? It could’ve been reversed
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Weise will learn and grow ...he’s an absolutely enormous asset and his talent is immense. He will learn and develop I am sure. The signs of a good coach are to bring out the best in their players...to single out any individual for blame helps no one. This is a collective effort to bring out the very best of this squad and I’m confident of seeing this happen
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm WIth certain people blaming Wiese for the loss, could anybody tell me which law says that you are not allowed to push your opponent when the ball is out of play? Or has the ref made this up because he does not like to see it? The only laws which could come close for me would be retaliation (but surely this would be a punch or something similar, not just a push), or ungentlemanly conduct, which also stretches the law like crazy. I am genuinly interested.

IMHO normally, at least until recently, Wiese would have been just told to grow up and stop being a very naughty boy.
If he’d been in the vicinity in the first place, he probably would have got away with it. Coming from distance to get involved sealed his fate. They’ve been hot on this for some time now.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wasn't just a push. He grabbed the neck of his shirt from behind and slingshot him back. Mercer just managed to stay on his feet. Could argue it was similar to a seatbelt tackle. Was taken as retaliation and foul play.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I think we're getting there with the discipline, certainly from what I remember from the Bath game, where our defence was not only solid but we stayed onside and didn't get pinged much, in the first half anyway. The penalty count was 14 vs 10, but that was reflective of the possession and territory that Bath had I think and towards the end of the game, it unravelled a bit, compounding errors and giving away cheap metres through indiscipline. What is does show again is that we can compete with everyone now, for the full 80. This week will be another test of that. Wiese was stupid with that pen, but he's the first name on the team sheet for me, some of his carries and off-loads were sublime. Mercer saying that they kept him quiet wasn't accurate I thought. Genge had his best game in a Tigers shirt that I've seen in a while, he was back to his rampaging best.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

The match began to unravel when Scott went offside from the lineout, from that point we conceded several penalties to enable Bath to gain territory. Weise was no more to blame than several others, just the world is watching him in particular!
Last edited by fentiger on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm WIth certain people blaming Wiese for the loss, could anybody tell me which law says that you are not allowed to push your opponent when the ball is out of play?
Law 9 Misconduct 27. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.
It was handbags, not dangerous, Mercer himself had already charged in to retaliate, Mercer was scragged away but stayed on his feet - six of one half a dozen of the other! The issue is that IMO Pearce was over-zealous in penalising as this happens virtually in every game. When it happens again then he has to penalise otherwise he's inconsistent and therefore lacks credibility. His empathy for that incident was absent. Bath DID deserve that win though!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

DingDong wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm
Pellsey wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:18 pm WIth certain people blaming Wiese for the loss, could anybody tell me which law says that you are not allowed to push your opponent when the ball is out of play?
Law 9 Misconduct 27. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.
It was handbags, not dangerous, Mercer himself had already charged in to retaliate, Mercer was scragged away but stayed on his feet - six of one half a dozen of the other! The issue is that IMO Pearce was over-zealous in penalising as this happens virtually in every game. When it happens again then he has to penalise otherwise he's inconsistent and therefore lacks credibility. His empathy for that incident was absent. Bath DID deserve that win though!
I agree DingDong. Pearce is IMHO way over the top here. This law is what I was referring to as "ungentlemanly conduct".
As far as I know, grabbing somebody by the shirt is also not against any law. Not that I enjoy seeing such handbags, but penalising them is getting a little pathetic IMHO.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:33 am As far as I know, grabbing somebody by the shirt is also not against any law.
He did more than that.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It was a penalty & the more he gets penalised the more the officials will look out for him, much like Big Tomas who gets officiated by reputation (& the blue scrum cap..) rather than reality.
To win is not as important as playing with style!