Away vs Bath 18th April

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by Tigerbeat »

Play hard when on the field but after the game it is okay....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:22 am Play hard when on the field but after the game it is okay....
Absolutely agree.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Still cross about this loss this morning. We had that game in the bag with five minutes to go, and proceeded to chuck it away with two knuckle headed acts of indiscipline in the last few minutes. I hope those responsible have had a good beasting from Borthwick :smt013

That said, we are a world away from where we were last season, and there is much to be optimistic about, we just need to keep our heads for the full 80 minutes. The difference between mid-table and top four is the ability to win when you do not play your best, and to close out close games. We are not doing that at the moment, but it is clearly achievable.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Bath deserved that win. I think our two main issues were first the defence not adapting to Bath constantly targeting the 5m channel leaving us short resulting in our defence line going backwards or a score. The second is again not adapting the game plan in the last quarter to starve Bath of the ball, they had momentum and we didn't stop it.

Discipline was fairly good (I think i'm on my own here!), on another day Heyes shove would've been ignored as it was a shove against a blocking player who was in front of the ball, and Wiese scragging Mercer out of the handbags would be a warning. Pearce has made a rod for his own back there because the next shove or scrag has to be penalised or his credibility will suffer. We see these in every game regularly so good luck there Luke!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:13 pm Gutted. :smt010
Still gutted :smt010 . Not felt this "gutted" for quite a few years, must be the old "Tigers Heartfelt Passion" coming back.

I think Jasper may well become a target, given his indiscipline, to negate his back-row talent? However, early days and I know SB will be pointed when he addresses the team discipline and repeat the need for control for the 80 mins. I read that Alex Sanderson has had enough of Sale's indiscipline and will not accept the "unlucky nevermind" tag that has been attributed to such acts in the past.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I've no problem with the penalties on Heyes and Weise. May seem petty when it's your own players and it costs you the win but equally there is no need for it and it's a slippery slope. If the ref doesn't want regular 20 man pushing and shove matches you penalise it.

Equally I saw a mixture at the end, with some guys a bit devastated (wasn't checking exactly but I think the younger guys) and the older guys taking it on the chin and smiling with old team mates or foes. Had it be a knock out match or cost us a play off/top 6 probably would have looked less cheerful. But right now, in context it's not the worst thing in the world.

Fantastic kick from Spencer by the way. I honestly thought having seen one of his earlier (easier) misses he was going to miss it. You've got to take your hat off when someone who doesn't do it every week gets one like that.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Always disappointing when you lose but Tigers showed fight right till the end and the progression of the team was there to be seen by all. A very good, dangerous, experienced, well coached and established Bath team had to fight till the 80th minute for the win. Fine margins contributed to the loss.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m a bit more mellow today about the loss. The fact all our expectations have risen means the fact we lose by only 1 point against a very good Bath team is suddenly disappointing. We lost by a fine margin when the last few years we would have lost by a chasm. A few thoughts.

Weiss made a bad call in reacting. But I’ll take that for what he brings in abundance in other areas. We wanted an “edgy” eight bruiser so can’t complain too much when we have one.

I think Genge has actually been quiet in the recent past for Tigers. But that was a reminder how good he is and how lucky we have to have him. If he wasn’t on the list for the Lions he probably is now.

Ford is in a different league to our other fly halves. His positional kicking in particular is outstanding at the moment.

Our combined pack just gets better. Everyone who isn’t a Tigers fan expected the improving Bath pack to dominate. They where well matched and in many areas beaten. They should be worried the way we dominated the scrum.

A few players made mistakes at the wrong time and had off games but most of them where not by the “youngsters”. Steward is growing in confidence and looking so assured at FB. His aerial work stood well against a stellar Bath back line.

I also think we are still capable of going up a gear if we have luck with injuries. To me it was one of those games where a fit Nadolo and Montoya would have been the difference. To be blunt, we play better with Leibenburg.

Finally, credit to Bath for finally realising some of the talent they have and finally putting in a team performance. They are a good outside bet for me for a late surge. Why Ben Spencer isn’t an England First XV is beyond me.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

At the final whistle the players, especially George Martin looked momentarily distraught but by rather time the players got to the Bath players then there was a good spirit between them. Bath just about deserved it and even Steve Borthwick will probably realise he needs a slightly different approach in the last twenty when leading by 10 points. Certainly felt JVP on a in the second half would have kept Bath more honest. I’m gutted we lost but I always am.
Move on now to Saints.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

This has been coming with Wiese.

He has performed exceptionally since he arrived. He's probably our signing of the season. However, the moments of indiscipline are mounting up. He let his team-mates down with that penalty at the end.

He could do worse than listen to Ellis, who was in a similar position at the start of his Tigers career and has learnt to channel his aggression brilliantly.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

It’s an upward spiral and I believe SB will continue to shape and develop his squad with his values and behaviours all over it. If any player doesn’t adhere then I don’t think they will be part of it. This does feel like a journey of evolution and I’m seeing more development and I’m enjoying seeing real positive and practical improvement week in week out....happy to sit this one out for a good while longer and give the players and staff time to reposition us.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Does anyone know how many "strikes" against, SB allows before a player is dropped to re think and change ways.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 am Always disappointing when you lose but Tigers showed fight right till the end and the progression of the team was there to be seen by all. A very good, dangerous, experienced, well coached and established Bath team had to fight till the 80th minute for the win. Fine margins contributed to the loss.
Well coached?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:49 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 am Always disappointing when you lose but Tigers showed fight right till the end and the progression of the team was there to be seen by all. A very good, dangerous, experienced, well coached and established Bath team had to fight till the 80th minute for the win. Fine margins contributed to the loss.
Well coached?
Agree with JP,Bath perform well below the sum of their parts and they need to get rid of Hooper imo to reach their full potential. That’s a playoff squad on paper
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

WIth certain people blaming Wiese for the loss, could anybody tell me which law says that you are not allowed to push your opponent when the ball is out of play? Or has the ref made this up because he does not like to see it? The only laws which could come close for me would be retaliation (but surely this would be a punch or something similar, not just a push), or ungentlemanly conduct, which also stretches the law like crazy. I am genuinly interested.

IMHO normally, at least until recently, Wiese would have been just told to grow up and stop being a very naughty boy.