Away vs Bath 18th April

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by Ian Cant »

Bath, Saints and Ulster: they’re the most important games now.
Get 2 and no hammering will mean Tigers might get into the top 4-6 or a Cup Final.

I’ve always enjoyed watching the Lions and England but I’m always more upset when Tigers lose! I understand though that the players’ aim is to play for the Lions and England. For our internationals the next 3 games might be their last to impress Garland and Jones( though Jones will have more games to watch!).
This season, I don’t think many England players will be Lions which means Eddie Jones will probably take quite a few of our players on tour which could undermine our plans for next season: JVP, Steward, Martin, Genge, Heyes, Ford could get selected. Ben Young’s could be a Lion which would be fantastic for him after he stayed at home to support Tom and Tiff.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm Bath, Saints and Ulster: they’re the most important games now.
Get 2 and no hammering will mean Tigers might get into the top 4-6 or a Cup Final.

I’ve always enjoyed watching the Lions and England but I’m always more upset when Tigers lose! I understand though that the players’ aim is to play for the Lions and England. For our internationals the next 3 games might be their last to impress Garland and Jones( though Jones will have more games to watch!).
This season, I don’t think many England players will be Lions which means Eddie Jones will probably take quite a few of our players on tour which could undermine our plans for next season: JVP, Steward, Martin, Genge, Heyes, Ford could get selected. Ben Young’s could be a Lion which would be fantastic for him after he stayed at home to support Tom and Tiff.
I don’t think that our players going on a tour would undermine our plans for next season, the coaches would see this as an inevitability and plan around it. Hence the recent signings of players like Burns
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Noggs wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 am I don't think so.

He was a very good 7's player and can play across the back line with fullback being the preferred back line position. That said I suspect he could play inside center if needed.
with Freddie Burns coming back and mcPhilips in decent form I am just trying to see where he can figure, inside centre was my thought as he has pretty decent dancing feet and can spot space and can make a good break
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:40 am
Noggs wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 am I don't think so.

He was a very good 7's player and can play across the back line with fullback being the preferred back line position. That said I suspect he could play inside center if needed.
with Freddie Burns coming back and mcPhilips in decent form I am just trying to see where he can figure, inside centre was my thought as he has pretty decent dancing feet and can spot space and can make a good break
I'm not sure any of Henry, McPhillips or Burns have the defence to play 12 in the way Borthwick likes. He's tended towards more physical options and then the playmaker at 15. I think it'll be a battle between the three to be back up to Ford and/or Steward. Well maybe they'll overtake them, Borthwick rewards hard work in training with game time and good performances with more game time so you never know.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

There's also the issue of players staying fit and (hopefully not) subject to game bans. We need depth in the team at all positions and I am sure we have not seen the back of Henry who has shown himself to be a very capable player.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Noggs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 am There's also the issue of players staying fit and (hopefully not) subject to game bans. We need depth in the team at all positions and I am sure we have not seen the back of Henry who has shown himself to be a very capable player.
What we want is a senior squad where any player in that squad is capable of playing without taking a intake of breath when you hear their name on the teamsheet. Development guys, yes they can need a bit of work before being in the 23, but the senior squad, we should be able to hear any of their names and not be worried, ok they may not all be superstars but we want everyone to be at least a solid club player.

We're not a million miles off that atm and if we recruit in the right areas we can meet that target too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I suspect Bath will be without Priestland, Tian Schoeman or young Orlando Bailey. Cipriani isn't arriving till May so I'm predicting that either Cameron Redpath or Josh Matavesi (normally inside centres) will be at flyhalf this weekend. This could be a factor that goes into our favour.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:59 am
Noggs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 am There's also the issue of players staying fit and (hopefully not) subject to game bans. We need depth in the team at all positions and I am sure we have not seen the back of Henry who has shown himself to be a very capable player.
What we want is a senior squad where any player in that squad is capable of playing without taking a intake of breath when you hear their name on the teamsheet. Development guys, yes they can need a bit of work before being in the 23, but the senior squad, we should be able to hear any of their names and not be worried, ok they may not all be superstars but we want everyone to be at least a solid club player.

We're not a million miles off that atm and if we recruit in the right areas we can meet that target too.
We do have good cover at most positions for most of the time and as said previously the skill of the selector if to measure form on the training field (even the bast players loose form from time to time) and select the team best suited to match the opposition at gain a win whilst considering overall player welfare and development. Not an easy task which is why you pay the big bucks for a coach like SB. I'm looking forward to seeing his selection for the Bath game.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Referee: Luke Pearce (111th Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Simon Harding & Jonathan Healy. TMO: Rowan Kitt. Citing Officer: Duncan Bell.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am I suspect Bath will be without Priestland, Tian Schoeman or young Orlando Bailey. Cipriani isn't arriving till May so I'm predicting that either Cameron Redpath or Josh Matavesi (normally inside centres) will be at flyhalf this weekend. This could be a factor that goes into our favour.
Priestland is out until the end of the month apparently so I’m sure you’re right. I’d expect Redpath to be at 10
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

On paper their team has international quality in several areas. Faletau will be remembered as an all time welsh great. His combination with Underhill and Mercer is quite something. Redpath and Joseph in the centre is quite something. Coka on the wing. Very good front five. Amazing that they don’t have better options at flyhalf!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 pm Referee: Luke Pearce (111th Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Simon Harding & Jonathan Healy. TMO: Rowan Kitt. Citing Officer: Duncan Bell.
A citing officer who played for one of the two teams seems a tad odd.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 pm Referee: Luke Pearce (111th Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Simon Harding & Jonathan Healy. TMO: Rowan Kitt. Citing Officer: Duncan Bell.
A citing officer who played for one of the two teams seems a tad odd.
Luke Pearce on Nelson gives a sense of forboding. I'll need to watch the game with at least one foot off the ground a la Shepherd. Beer in hand of course.

Beat Bath by half a point it will be enough for me. Keep 15 on the park and who knows?

Keep the faith. (Cheers Bill)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

If Tigers go with a full-strength team, they’re in with a chance, but if not, I fear it could go titzup. We’ll see!
Semper in excretia
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Bath have the players to convincingly beat any team and Tigers, if they get their line speed right can cause any team problems.
I’m hoping we can once again compete and then who knows!
I know it’s one game at a time but the next 3 games will give Steve Borthwick and the players a severe examination of just how well the squad is progressing.
It’s great, after the last few seasons to anticipate games with real hope.
Thanks Steve Borthwick and the whole squad.