Away vs Bath 18th April

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:48 pm We scored 1 try, Bath scored 3 & probably should of scored more, we never really looked like scoring another
So? The all French Quarter finals last weekend should prove there is more to this game than scoring tries (which we have scored a ton of lately). We were deservedly leading by 6 going in to the last 5 minutes and threw it away. Bath for all their tries and attacking threat needed some assistance from the officials, some stupidity from a few Tigers late on and a last minute score to win. I take nothing away from a fantastic kick by Spencer but on balance I think we deserved to win that one
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:48 pm Until we sort the discipline we are going to struggle, although some of those penalties were soft, they were also dull.
Agree with this
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

To be honest I don’t think that we couldn’t, with a almost full team out beat any side this season. I do agree that we make changes far too early.
However, Bath and Tigers are similar in the fact they had been hit with international call ups, band and injuries. Both teams played very well today.
Let’s hope we get another crack against a Bath in the European Final.
I still think some other teams have yet to rest players like we have so top 6 is possible.
Win the next two games and this season will already be remarkable considering where we were and all the disruptions we’ve had.
Now we are looking forward with optimism not fear and pessimism.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:01 pm To be honest I don’t think that we couldn’t, with a almost full team out beat any side this season. I do agree that we make changes far too early.
However, Bath and Tigers are similar in the fact they had been hit with international call ups, band and injuries. Both teams played very well today.
Let’s hope we get another crack against a Bath in the European Final.
I still think some other teams have yet to rest players like we have so top 6 is possible.
Win the next two games and this season will already be remarkable considering where we were and all the disruptions we’ve had.
Now we are looking forward with optimism not fear and pessimism.
:smt023
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Game could have gone either way.

The fact that we are on a par with this Bath team at this stage is a good sign.

We move on.

For me play offs were never a real target, top 6 would be fantastic.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ourla wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:03 pm Game could have gone either way.

We move on.

You’re right. :smt023

I’ve been pretty frustrated since watching that game but we narrowly lost in the last minute to a very strong, well established bath side at a ground we never seem to win at. We have a young exciting side that is coming on in leaps and bounds. Let’s take a leaf out of the SB book, learn from the areas for improvement and move on to a huge home game against Saints
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

We move on.

My thoughts exactly. The target of top was formed by bt in order to add a little more drama to the match. The ultimate goal for this season is top six. Although people seem to forget the huge improvements made to even warrant us in the top four conversation.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Just emerged from the dark room. My punishment complete, having been forced to watch the city crawl past Southampton to an FA cup final. Like watching paint dry.

I'm still cross at the defeat today. I'm not concerned about top 6 or top 4 or any other hype the punditry failures that are Dallaglio and Monye have to pour out in their love fest for the opposition. My dissapointment comes from the fact that:-

A) This was Bath
B) This was Bath
C) This was Bath

We've been right royally turned over at the Rec recently and to even sneak a win by the smallest margins would have been so sweet. Instead it was avoidable stupidity that cost a win. That, I find, is even more galling than a lack of competence or ability.

T-cup...... That "keeping the 6 inches between the ears in order" part of the game must be a part of the journey. The improvement is clear for all to see but it must come with discipline.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

tigercub21 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:51 pm That Wiese push was stupid but if Mercer doesn't react like that then there's no penalty in the first place. He committed the first offence but it was dense from Wiese.

The players don't look too upset considering what's just happened.
I thought that, quite a few smiles form our players.
They’re all mates and whilst they don’t like losing, it’s not the end of the world like it appears to be for some fans.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

could have and should have been more than a losing bonus.....
vivid example of why discipline has to be kept.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

A game Barff should have won and did - JUST.
Where we were to where we are now is a massive improvement. For all posters to be talking NOW of the disappointment of loosing the fine margins, or what could have been if we had kept our discipline is a great testament.

I hate loosing to Barff and the last 5 mins were a frustration of the highest order.
However I think the previous 75 showed we were mostly in control in every aspect of the game.

Did Larry Dayglo have a bet on for Barff to win. How does he get away with his one sided punditry game after game.
We know he has Wasps blinkers on but his biased anti Tigers sentiment wears thin.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

We move on.

I agree if you had told me before the match we would come a way with a point I would have been happy, for me the more encouraging sign was the devastation of our players at the end, the last couple of seasons they would have walked off laughing and joking
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 am

We move on.

I agree if you had told me before the match we would come a way with a point I would have been happy, for me the more encouraging sign was the devastation of our players at the end, the last couple of seasons they would have walked off laughing and joking
Apparently they were doing just that according to earlier posts!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:50 pm
tigercub21 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:51 pm That Wiese push was stupid but if Mercer doesn't react like that then there's no penalty in the first place. He committed the first offence but it was dense from Wiese.

The players don't look too upset considering what's just happened.
I thought that, quite a few smiles form our players.
They’re all mates and whilst they don’t like losing, it’s not the end of the world like it appears to be for some fans.
Yes it's not the end and they still get the opportunity to defend after giving those penalties away.
The pushing and holding etc does seem rather pointless but it's a big part of the modern game.
I don't particularly like it if I'm honest but a large percentage of players do it.
I often notice it more when it goes against my team but if your purposely watching for niggling tactics looking for a reaction and a penalty then you can see that it's rife in the game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:14 am
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 am

We move on.

Apparently they were doing just that according to earlier posts!
I havnt saw the game but have saw some stills and there are at least 2/3 players absolutely devastated on their knees at the final whistle.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer