Away vs Bath 18th April

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by fentiger »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm Wiese is a find, a potential world class player with a abit of cocky niggle we have needed for so long, yes he makes the odd hot headed mistake but that’s just how he is, he is a beast of an 8 who stomps the yards, something we have missed and he is a character and still young, give the guy a break, for me he is breath of fresh air, a potential legend and SA international in the making, we lost the game today for numerous reasons, one being Wiese putting a player back in his box, we also earned points with some of his beast mode runs.
He is a Tiger great in the making!!
+1 :smt023
We have waited an age for this type of player and have been moaning for years about teams having 'big, ball carrying eight's' always besting us! :smt017
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:18 pm Ford’s missed conversion, Weise and Heyes idiocy- all fine margins but the truth is the ref didn’t cost us the game. We did not keep our heads.
Yes but we could also say Spencer's missed penalty and decision to turn down 3 end of the second half. The fine margins for me were simply lack of discipline late on and some one-sided TMO calls. The TMO one is a constant frustration for me but I think the game was won. It was the unnecessary shove by Heyes at the line out, the unnecessary getting involved with Mercer on the opposite touchline moments later and the Wiese intervention. We deserved to win that game despite what the commentators were saying (which you're right was comical at times) and we threw it away. Bath didn't win it, the officials didn't cost us the game, we threw it away.. simple as that. We need to sort out our discipline fast. We were outstanding up until the Scott offside in attack and then it all seemed to head South. 6 point lead, their line-out on halfway and 5 minutes to play I back us to see that out, especially as our defense was pretty formidable once again. Instead.. well, we give it away
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:24 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm Wiese is a find, a potential world class player with a abit of cocky niggle we have needed for so long, yes he makes the odd hot headed mistake but that’s just how he is, he is a beast of an 8 who stomps the yards, something we have missed and he is a character and still young, give the guy a break, for me he is breath of fresh air, a potential legend and SA international in the making, we lost the game today for numerous reasons, one being Wiese putting a player back in his box, we also earned points with some of his beast mode runs.
He is a Tiger great in the making!!
+1 :smt023
We have waited an age for this type of player and have been moaning for years about teams having 'big, ball carrying eight's' always besting us! :smt017
I largely agree with this. He is the 8 we have been looking for. He is an exceptional talent and he could be a Tigers legend. BUT... he has to change his behaviour.

He's played 9 games for us and picked up a red card and 2 yellows. And could have had at least another with a very close call on a ruck clear out being about an inch away from a red. Then there is today. He is a huge talent and I was about to comment just before he got involved in the touchline scuffle that he has seemingly toned it down a little and turned the corner discipline wise but a bit like Lavanini players will target him to try and rile him up. He needs to keep his cool and he WILL be the 8 we have been looking for
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Great conversion kick by Spencer at the end too, to be fair.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We will learn from this, but not dwell on it. That's the Borthwick mentality

Not since Chiefs beat us 3rd game of the season have we lost back to back games.

I also think Wiese will learn more from that penalty given away than his cards in previous games... He's a winner and that loss will hurt
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The one that got away.
Some penalties that might seem silly but the game is littered with niggle looking for a reaction these days.
Thomas didn't react and had to go for an HIA and after taking the bait Mercer was let off the hook.
A lot of hard work to get into a winning position, good game but the scrums were shocking viewing, actually it's not right to call that scrummaging today in my opinion.
As far as I'm aware prop doesn't mean to constantly fall over.
Funny how they managed to get it in and out at the end.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 pm We will learn from this, but not dwell on it. That's the Borthwick mentality

Not since Chiefs beat us 3rd game of the season have we lost back to back games.

I also think Wiese will learn more from that penalty given away than his cards in previous games... He's a winner and that loss will hurt
Yep agreed. And we will get our revenge in the European Final :smt002
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

How did Bath keep 15 players on the pitch considering the number of scrum penalties? And why do we insist on using subs for the sake of using subs? Genge was beastly today, Kelly fantastic and Youngs (Ben) in full control. Why take them off?
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:53 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... 30Ww3nuDz8

Fair assessment
I do like Borthwick's way of handling our development. Enjoy the positives, learn from the negatives and get better for next week. It shows we've come quite a way from last season that we're all gutted we lost away from home against a team that was top four last season.

Let's hope we improve again for the Saints game and take the win then. I like how Benny described that as the biggest game of the season in his post match interview.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

manxleigh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:56 pm How did Bath keep 15 players on the pitch considering the number of scrum penalties?
I've got no idea.
No rain or mud in sight, anyone for summer rugby!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

manxleigh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:56 pm How did Bath keep 15 players on the pitch considering the number of scrum penalties? And why do we insist on using subs for the sake of using subs? Genge was beastly today, Kelly fantastic and Youngs (Ben) in full control. Why take them off?
Regarding the substitutions, I suspect Borthers is not especially bothered about play-offs this year or Champions cup next year. Let’s face it, I don’t think we’re anywhere near being deserving of winning either yet. It’s about getting players in-game time......and the journey of course. Not too much success too soon.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:16 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:53 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... 30Ww3nuDz8

Fair assessment
I do like Borthwick's way of handling our development. Enjoy the positives, learn from the negatives and get better for next week. It shows we've come quite a way from last season that we're all gutted we lost away from home against a team that was top four last season.

Let's hope we improve again for the Saints game and take the win then. I like how Benny described that as the biggest game of the season in his post match interview.
Yep agreed. Personally the thing that I’m gutted about is the manner in which we threw that game away. We had that game won and with 5 minutes to go we threw it away. As you rightly say a narrow loss away to a very well established top 4 team last season is not a bad result but it’s just a shame about the manner of the defeat.

I expect a reaction next week against Saints and we are in fine form at home. That said Saints looked very impressive against Irish and it’ll be another really tough game. I hope Hanro is back and we can get back to winning ways to set up nicely for the semi the week after
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We scored 1 try, Bath scored 3 & probably should of scored more, we never really looked like scoring another, the scrum was a joke like watching the biased Dayglos team of old.
Until we sort the discipline we are going to struggle, although some of those penalties were soft, they were also dull.
Fords tactical kicking was brilliant at times, but on occasion he is kicking good ball away, not sure we got the substitutions right today either.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Bit off topic of Tigers, don’t really watch much of Bath but thought Mercer was great. To be the best backrower for Bath when they have Underhill and Faletau takes some doing. Pity he’s going France, hopefully just a season away cos no doubt on current form he’ll be in an England shirt again soon. Very Alldritt like, not the biggest but always gets over the gainline.