Steve Borthwick - Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Borthwick - Lions

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 pm Quote from Wales online on the matter
It’s understood lineout expert Borthwick - forwards coach in 2017 - declared he was unavailable after being presented with the full Lions schedule, given his duties at Leicester.
I wonder if the itinerary plus Quarantine periods mean it's a lot longer away from the UK than was thought when first agreeing to it. Rowntree has also supposedly pulled out due to family commitments so I'm guessing it's a longer tour all in than when initially pitched to them...
According to the Lions website the last game is scheduled for the 7th August. If you add in a ten day quarantine period after that then he's missing all of pre season and potentially the start of next season (depending on how dates fall). I can see why he'd not fancy that. No time for Steve to make a minute and refocus either.

Given how well things are going at the moment and how focussed he is on us being competitive I don't think he'd see missing pre season as being beneficial. Plus he's already done the Lions thing once.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:28 pm Given how well things are going at the moment and how focussed he is on us being competitive I don't think he'd see missing pre season as being beneficial. Plus he's already done the Lions thing once.
Plus there is previous with a recent HC missing pre-season..... can't see SB wanting to be pigeon-holed into that! :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

On the strength of what he has previously achieved , and indeed what he appears to be achieving here in a very short space of time no one could really question a Lions role being offered.Equally, on the basis of the mans character , no one could really be surprised by the position being turned down such is his single minded dedication and commitment to a cause or objective.
A great message to send out and impart to /instill into others.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

He would have been a great forwards coach with the Lions, teamed with Toony as backs coach and Edwards on defence

However the first line of “The Statement “ is “Club First!”

Here the man living and breathing that and by example from the top .. Good man Steve .. You are the best thing that has happened to this club for many years ... at last the board got something right!