Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:22 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:14 pm There is a clear lack of understanding of what occurred at the scrum against Connacht on this topic and it's also relevant to English scrummaging.
De Bruin was excellent against Connacht, after Sir had pinged Heyes early on and demanded more height De Bruin tried to protect his team brilliantly.
The first penalty was against Heyes but de Bruin went to ground first and the ref was in the other side so may have just pinged the prop in front of him. De Bruin got pinged for the second scrum penalty as he again went down first. After that he stabilised well, he is after all a good operator but I think he is merely solid at loosehead as opposed to tighthead where he looks like he could be destructive (him and Genge Vs Bayonne?). Just a bit unfortunate for de Bruin that we have young tightheads we want to develop and Coley so that he isn't going to play in his better position he's going to play where we need him to cover.
De Bruin is an excellent prop and you're wrongly questioning his ability when what he was doing was protecting his team in reaction to Sir wanting more height.
:smt018
The original post was in response to someone saying Heyes hadn't been as dominant at the scrum in the last couple of outings. I pointed out that those outings coincided with him combining with de Bruin instead of Leatigaga. I've only pointed out the facts of the first and I think only two scrum penalties we conceded Vs Connacht and that de Bruin is a better tighthead than loosehead. I don't consider that either of those are contentious or a slight on the man himself. He's a fine player who I'd happily retain if he decided he didn't want to go North in the summer.

Incidentally when he goes North in the summer I think he's likely to be the replacement for Nel at tighthead and Edinburgh fans will consider to some handy business.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It could be that Jones announces his squad as early as the end of the month, but I think it's unlikely given that fixture list has not been confirmed yet.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Speculation in the Telegraph that Bevan Rodd is on Eddie Jones’ radar and the Ruck have name-checked his teammate young scrumhalf Raffi Quirke too, although as far as i can see that’s pure speculation.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:54 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:22 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm

The first penalty was against Heyes but de Bruin went to ground first and the ref was in the other side so may have just pinged the prop in front of him. De Bruin got pinged for the second scrum penalty as he again went down first. After that he stabilised well, he is after all a good operator but I think he is merely solid at loosehead as opposed to tighthead where he looks like he could be destructive (him and Genge Vs Bayonne?). Just a bit unfortunate for de Bruin that we have young tightheads we want to develop and Coley so that he isn't going to play in his better position he's going to play where we need him to cover.
De Bruin is an excellent prop and you're wrongly questioning his ability when what he was doing was protecting his team in reaction to Sir wanting more height.
:smt018
The original post was in response to someone saying Heyes hadn't been as dominant at the scrum in the last couple of outings. I pointed out that those outings coincided with him combining with de Bruin instead of Leatigaga. I've only pointed out the facts of the first and I think only two scrum penalties we conceded Vs Connacht and that de Bruin is a better tighthead than loosehead. I don't consider that either of those are contentious or a slight on the man himself. He's a fine player who I'd happily retain if he decided he didn't want to go North in the summer.

Incidentally when he goes North in the summer I think he's likely to be the replacement for Nel at tighthead and Edinburgh fans will consider to some handy business.
With the combination of Sir asking for more height and Heyes requiring physio treatment against Connacht I believe that De Bruin came across to assist in taking the load and yes he ended up getting pinged.
It's not that he isn't as good a LH it's that he was just being a good teammate.
Leicester were also dominant in the line out maul, good game management.
It's not the actual topic but I still think it's highly relevant to how naive England can be on occasions without Cole and Marler amongst it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 am Speculation in the Telegraph that Bevan Rodd is on Eddie Jones’ radar and the Ruck have name-checked his teammate young scrumhalf Raffi Quirke too, although as far as i can see that’s pure speculation.
Rodd has been playing well is still eligible for under 20s (maybe). Looks a good prospect and is dual qualified so might be best to get him in and capped and avoid losing him later on. He's definitely qualified for Scotland and given the name I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Welsh link also.

Quirke seems to be talked up quite a bit by the commentators of Sale games recently. He looks to have something about him but I'm not sure he's ready for a call up. Similar situation with JVP, need a bit more experience first. Quirke does have an Irish grandparent though so could be some concern of Irish Regions going shopping at Sale as they did with Addison and Haley.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 am Speculation in the Telegraph that Bevan Rodd is on Eddie Jones’ radar and the Ruck have name-checked his teammate young scrumhalf Raffi Quirke too, although as far as i can see that’s pure speculation.
Rodd has been playing well is still eligible for under 20s (maybe). Looks a good prospect and is dual qualified so might be best to get him in and capped and avoid losing him later on. He's definitely qualified for Scotland and given the name I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Welsh link also.

Quirke seems to be talked up quite a bit by the commentators of Sale games recently. He looks to have something about him but I'm not sure he's ready for a call up. Similar situation with JVP, need a bit more experience first. Quirke does have an Irish grandparent though so could be some concern of Irish Regions going shopping at Sale as they did with Addison and Haley.
It does seem if you're dual qualified that it gives you more chance of breaking in to the international set up early
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:37 am

It does seem if you're dual qualified that it gives you more chance of breaking in to the international set up early
More chance of you getting capped on the development tour this summer to ensure that it you kick on then one of the other home nations can't convince you to change allegiance. Should mean Joe Heyes tours if this is the case.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://twitter.com/charliefelix/status ... 21925?s=21 With the prospect of both LCD and George going on the Lions tour, Matt Proudfoot has had a discussion with Ewan Ashman of Sale (who was in Scotland’s Six Nations squad) about the possibility of him playing for England this summer.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What is it with Manchester and Irish grandparents? Addison, Haley, Quirke and of course our own Dan Kelly! :smt017 :smt003
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:26 am

What is it with Manchester and Irish grandparents? Addison, Haley, Quirke and of course our own Dan Kelly! :smt017 :smt003
:smt001 definitely a concern for Sale and keeping hold of their homegrown players.

Well geographically speaking Dublin is closer than London. Ireland is just a ferry ride or short flight away. The docks in Manchester and Liverpool provide a lot of jobs in that neck of the woods so over time it's not surprising that there's been immigration to that area. There's the universities as well which I think I heard Quirke's family have links to or work in. Not unusual for people to go to university and then stay in that city afterwards.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:02 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:26 am

:smt001 definitely a concern for Sale and keeping hold of their homegrown players.

Well geographically speaking Dublin is closer than London. Ireland is just a ferry ride or short flight away. The docks in Manchester and Liverpool provide a lot of jobs in that neck of the woods so over time it's not surprising that there's been immigration to that area. There's the universities as well which I think I heard Quirke's family have links to or work in. Not unusual for people to go to university and then stay in that city afterwards.
Yes I suppose you’re right.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Based on the Lions squad announcement yesterday you suspect that the likes of B. Vunipola, Ford, Genge, Underhill, Slade will be playing for England this summer.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am Based on the Lions squad announcement yesterday you suspect that the likes of B. Vunipola, Ford, Genge, Underhill, Slade will be playing for England this summer.
Wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO

Genge, Dunn, Sinckler, Ribbans, Martin, Dombrandt, Underhill, Vunipola, Randall/Spencer, Ford/Smith, Loader, Lawrence, Slade, OHC, Steward

That XV has a nice blend of youth and experience and gives plenty of opportunity to guys who have been pushing for places
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally think it would be pointless v USA and Canada to play all of them.
Maybe Genge but all the others are in positions where we do have some form players in.

Genge, Dunn, Stuart
Ribbans, Martin
Barbeary, Curry, Dombrandt
Spencer, Smith
O'Connor, Lawrence
Loader, Thorley, Steward

Bench
Obano, Ashman, Heyes
Ewels, Willis
JVP, Bailey, Parton
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Do you pick Mercer? He’s been in the form no.8 this season but going to France for two years. Never stopped the ABs picking players on form even if they were leaving.