FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Isn't it rather presumptuous that Kelly will want to play for England?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 am Isn't it rather presumptuous that Kelly will want to play for England?
Considering he has signed an extension to play to continue playing for Tigers in light of rumoured Irish interest, no.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:34 pm I’ll move this here if anyone wants a go,hopefully they get a tour!
Feel free to fill in the blanks!
1. Obano
2. Dunn
3. Heyes
5. Martin
6. Dombrandt
7. Evans
8. Simmonds
9. Randall
10. Simmonds
12. Lawrence
13. Odogwu
15. Steward

This is my take on a hybrid team if there was only one tour. Please feel free to name a England tour team and a Saxons one if you would prefer
At least 1 Simmonds will be with the Lions
That’s a bold call,Faletau will go for sure. Will Gatland gamble on Billy V? Can’t see Joe going with Sexton,Biggar,Farrell,Ford and Russell in the mix and Hogg covering 10. Sam maybe as a bolter,Joe no chance imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Super User
Super User

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 am Isn't it rather presumptuous that Kelly will want to play for England?
Considering he has signed an extension to play to continue playing for Tigers in light of rumoured Irish interest, no.
Doesn't stop him playing for Ireland, just reduces the chance.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Why would it be rather presumptuous given that he was born in Manchester?
:smt017
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Think you’d need a good mix of experience and new players coming through. England’s style suits a big 8 so Barbeary and Dombrandt for me. Care and Smith play together for club so would be a good intro to Smith at test level.

Genge, Obano
Dunn, Singleton
Heyes, Hill
Martin, Launchbury
Ewels, Kpoku
Hill, Isiekwe
Earl, Evans
Barbeary, Dombrandt
Care, Randall
Smith, Simmonds
Daly, Thorley
Devoto, Kelly
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu
Steward, Hodge
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'll be very surprised if Care goes.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am
Chobbsy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:34 pm I’ll move this here if anyone wants a go,hopefully they get a tour!
Feel free to fill in the blanks!
1. Obano
2. Dunn
3. Heyes
5. Martin
6. Dombrandt
7. Evans
8. Simmonds
9. Randall
10. Simmonds
12. Lawrence
13. Odogwu
15. Steward

This is my take on a hybrid team if there was only one tour. Please feel free to name a England tour team and a Saxons one if you would prefer
At least 1 Simmonds will be with the Lions
That’s a bold call,Faletau will go for sure. Will Gatland gamble on Billy V? Can’t see Joe going with Sexton,Biggar,Farrell,Ford and Russell in the mix and Hogg covering 10. Sam maybe as a bolter,Joe no chance imo.
I agree with Scott, far too many fly halves in contention for Joe Simmonds to be on that plane, plus Gatland is going for versatility which means with Farrell and Hogg not much room at all for more than 2 flyhalves.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I reckon Parton of London Irish stands a good chance, as the selection of Daly, Furbank, Malins and Watson suggest that Jones prefers counterattacking fullbacks.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 pm Think you’d need a good mix of experience and new players coming through. England’s style suits a big 8 so Barbeary and Dombrandt for me. Care and Smith play together for club so would be a good intro to Smith at test level.

Genge, Obano
Dunn, Singleton
Heyes, Hill
Martin, Launchbury
Ewels, Kpoku
Hill, Isiekwe
Earl, Evans
Barbeary, Dombrandt
Care, Randall
Smith, Simmonds
Daly, Thorley
Devoto, Kelly
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu
Steward, Hodge
We have one viable international 9 now is not the time to take a 34 year old that hasn't troubled the international scene in years for one last hurrah.

Obano, West, Rodd
Dunn, Langdon, Barbeary
Heyes, Williams, Painter
Ribbans, Beaumont
Isiekwe, Kpoku
Hill, Martin - Eddie likes the idea of a lock/6 after all
Evans, Ludlow
Simmonds, Dombrandt
Randall, Mitchell, Maunder
Smith, Simmonds
Radwan, Thorley
O'Connor, S James
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu, Loader
Steward, Parton

34 man squad. None of the normal selections but still a strong squad with a lot of options. Few guys we can tie down, there could be some movement between now and the end of the season particularly with the back three and backrow. Create real competition and give the non-Lions selections a proper pre season ready for the new season so that Eddie has a nice selection headache.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 pm Think you’d need a good mix of experience and new players coming through. England’s style suits a big 8 so Barbeary and Dombrandt for me. Care and Smith play together for club so would be a good intro to Smith at test level.

Genge, Obano
Dunn, Singleton
Heyes, Hill
Martin, Launchbury
Ewels, Kpoku
Hill, Isiekwe
Earl, Evans
Barbeary, Dombrandt
Care, Randall
Smith, Simmonds
Daly, Thorley
Devoto, Kelly
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu
Steward, Hodge
We have one viable international 9 now is not the time to take a 34 year old that hasn't troubled the international scene in years for one last hurrah.

Obano, West, Rodd
Dunn, Langdon, Barbeary
Heyes, Williams, Painter
Ribbans, Beaumont
Isiekwe, Kpoku
Evans, Ludlow
Simmonds, Dombrandt
Smith, Simmonds
Radwan, Thorley
O'Connor, S James
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu, Loader
Steward, Parton

34 man squad. None of the normal selections but still a strong squad with a lot of options. Few guys we can tie down, there could be some movement between now and the end of the season particularly with the back three and backrow. Create real competition and give the non-Lions selections a proper pre season ready for the new season so that Eddie has a nice selection headache.
Painter? Slow, penalty machine and ineffectual scrummager that will offer England nothing. I would rather bring back his teammate Paul Hill, who has been playing well, into the fold.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I know a few people have picked Barbeary at hooker, but for me his future is at 8, give him the freedom to do what he does best which is carrying the ball. He has the best carrying stats for a forward in the premiership, Wiese a close second.

Same with Martin, he’s been playing 6 for us but for England would like to see him played more in the engine room. We’ve got plenty of flankers, especially with Ted Hill who is a unit.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Genge, Obano
Dunn, Singleton
Heyes, Hill
Martin, Launchbury
Ewels, Kpoku
Hill, Isiekwe
Earl, Evans
Barbeary, Dombrandt
Care, Randall
Smith, Simmonds
Daly, Thorley
Devoto, Kelly
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu
Steward, Hodge

Obano, West, Rodd
Dunn, Langdon, Barbeary
Heyes, Williams, Painter
Ribbans, Beaumont
Isiekwe, Kpoku
Evans, Ludlow
Simmonds, Dombrandt
Smith, Simmonds
Radwan, Thorley
O'Connor, S James
Marchant, Lawrence
Odogwu, Loader
Steward, Parton

Painter? Slow, penalty machine and ineffectual scrummager that will offer England nothing. I would rather bring back his teammate Paul Hill, who has been playing well, into the fold.
Paul Hill is a good shout. It was an off the top of my head selection so might be a bit rough in places. Hill has still got some years in the tank as well I think he's only 26.

TinyTiger, if he offers what he does at 8 from hooker as well as the other hooker skills he'll be one of the best in the world in the next few years. Barbeary can go as the third hooker and play a bit of both positions so the England coaches can get a good look at him. Martin I listed at 6 because that's where England might want to use him initially. He could slot into lock as well the selections aren't hard and fast, Isiekwe could be slotted into 6 as well. Beaumont can cover the backrow.

I think currently England need physicality in the backrow and have two world class opensides. We have a number of locks but a physical blindside that can be the third lineout jumper Eddie likes could go far. Wilson was given the chance in the 6N but didn't quite make the position his own. Lawes has been used in the role previously. Eddie has previously said he'd need a bigger physical option at 6 to allow him to pick Simmonds as well...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dombradt at 6 would give you some leeway if you play Simmonds at 8.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Super User
Super User

BFG wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 pm
Why would it be rather presumptuous given that he was born in Manchester?
:smt017
Well he turned out for Ireland U20s...