FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:10 am The Montpellier game might hurt Steward,I believe EJ was there.
Probably not that much. Eddie will have still seen a young fullback in his first senior final dominate under the high ball and look secure defensively. One poor kick and trying to force things in attack leading to a turnover are not the worst mistakes made under pressure.

It depends on what Eddie is looking to achieve. If he still wants to use the kick heavy game then Steward is the ideal fullback particularly given the increasing amount of kick to compete at international level. If Eddie starts looking at more counter attacking as a response to the opposition kicking game Freddie might miss out as Malins and Parton both look really good doing that whilst Freddie is merely good. Have they announced the under 20s squad for the summer yet? That'll be a good indicator as Steward will be in that if not with the seniors.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Do we think Eddie will pick Manu if he doesn't get called up as a Lions replacement?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:29 pm Do we think Eddie will pick Manu if he doesn't get called up as a Lions replacement?
Can’t see it would achieve much.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Excuse me if its already been said but has Eddie said whether he's gonna take any experienced guys? Did I read somewhere Underhill could be captain?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 pm Excuse me if its already been said but has Eddie said whether he's gonna take any experienced guys? Did I read somewhere Underhill could be captain?
I think it’s telling who he took to Argentina:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_En ... _Argentina

Mullan, Hartley, Armand, Haskell, Robshaw, Wood, Care, and Brown were all the wrong side of 28.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

ABClub wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:10 pm I'd pick Kelly for England A vs Scotland A personally. I rate him very highly but if I were picking a 12 with really good all round skills I'd currently have Piers O'Conor just ahead of him. No slight on Kelly as his performances this season have been remarkable for a 19-year-old at inside centre but I think O'Conor just offers a bit more going forward currently.

Personally I'd really like to see Lawrence at 12 with Marchant at 13 in one of the tests against Canada or USA. I think that would be really well balanced with Lawrence's power a foil to Marchant's running lines and passing game. Smith with those two outside him and Malins or Steward at 15 as another distributor when needed could be a really nice back line.
Good post. Although Lawrence hasn’t played any Premiership games at 12. I like the balance of Lawrence and Marchant but I’m reluctant to start a young player in a position they haven’t played regularly, at international level.

Devoto might be timing his run just right, and Atkinson has been playing well recently...
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

No6_Flanker wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 pm Excuse me if its already been said but has Eddie said whether he's gonna take any experienced guys? Did I read somewhere Underhill could be captain?
I think it’s telling who he took to Argentina:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_En ... _Argentina

Mullan, Hartley, Armand, Haskell, Robshaw, Wood, Care, and Brown were all the wrong side of 28.
The majority were also discarded over the year or so after that tour for younger players who also went to Argentina and overtook them.

Mullan ---> Genge
Hartley ---> LCD
Haskell ---> Underhill
Robshaw ---> Curry
Wood ---> Wilson

Those guys all toured in 2017 with the incumbents replaced by younger players that toured alongside them by the time the RWC came around. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar happen here.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Didn't know Auterac was Scottish?!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

England squad will be announced at noon next Thursday (the 10th).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Eddie had said he's using Sinckler for these games. Let's hope it's not bad bews for Heyes with Stuart and Williams along with 1 or 2 others on the mix. Heyes is too good for the A game imo.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Steward is one of 4 contenders on Eddie's radar for the #15 shirt

https://www.ruck.co.uk/eddie-jones-reve ... -fullback/
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

EJ has namechecked Manu for these games too!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Will Greenwood has had his say

15. Freddie Steward
14. Ollie Sleighthome
13. Luke Northmore
12. Piers O'Conor
11. Ollie Hassell-Collins
10. Marcus Smith
9. Raffi Quirke
8. Alex Dombrant
7. Ben Curry
6. Miles Reid
5. Dave Ribbans
4. Harry Wells
3. Joe Heyes
2. Will Capon
1. Tom West

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... 22832785-1
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:03 pm Didn't know Auterac was Scottish?!
I was advised he has roots in Auchenhessnane. :smt002
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The much criticized England backroom/coaching staff receives amendment/alteration prior to the Summer Series of Tests :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/eddie-jo ... er-series/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....