FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FANTASY SAXONS/ENGLAND SUMMER TOUR 23

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:43 pm For me I’d still want more experience in the test XV, regardless of whether the opposition might be a step down to who we normally play against.

Genge Dunn Stuart
Ribbans Ewels
Martin Dombrandt Earl
Randall Ford
Devoto Slade
Cokanasiga Steward Nowell

Obano Singleton Heyes Isiekwe Barbeary JVP Smith Odogwu
Realistically, a top premiership team can beat USA and Canada. The quality just isn't there. It's not like England are touring Argentina in the Lions year, they don't need to include any senior players and should let them all have a rest and decent preseason after a strange year.

That backline has 5 players that Eddie Jones knows plenty about. Devoto might not have many caps but he's been around long enough that EJ should pick somone else to have a look at, IMO.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would be wary of going too experimental, okay the Eagles haven't played since 2019, but Lasike back to fitness alongside a clearly in-form MacGinty and a core of MLR players means that the Americans shouldn't be taken too lightly.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

IMO send a whole development squad. Why be turgid - look forward!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... gland.html

Interesting article with Newcastle’s Adam Radwan. Thought I would post here.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

According to the Mail, with Lions players away and May/Ford etc expected to be rested, Sam Underhill and Kyle Sinckler are frontrunners to be England captain this summer.

Also being touted for call ups alongside our own Dan Kelly, Marcus Smith & Bevan Rodd, is Bath’s Miles Reid.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Judging by Genge’s recent form, and if none of the Lions looseheads get injured (big if with Mako in my opinion), I think he should be considered for captain too.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:23 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... gland.html

Interesting mention of his running technique and the peak speed measure by GPS. I have mentioned the Michael Johnson sprint school in USA that Jonnie May has been too. I would send Potter, Porter, Steward, Kelly , JVP and a few others over there to see if they can get some extra out of them before buying in someone to add speed. Alt hight Radwan or Doel would also be good additions.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:23 am https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... gland.html

England have some quality young wingers coming through the system, OHC and Radwan are the front runners for me and I’d like to see them capped in the summer. But also got Loader, David, Lynagh.
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

Do players who play in these games usually receive caps? I can't remember.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JeffBadland wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 am Do players who play in these games usually receive caps? I can't remember.
The games against Canada and USA are full Internationals so caps will be given/received.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:05 am
JeffBadland wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 am Do players who play in these games usually receive caps? I can't remember.
The games against Canada and USA are full Internationals so caps will be given/received.
Yep though England A vs Scotland A is not fully capped, but does "capture" the player to that country, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly or Henderson play in this fixture (on alternative sides)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:13 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:05 am
Yep though England A vs Scotland A is not fully capped, but does "capture" the player to that country, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly or Henderson play in this fixture (on alternative sides)
Alongside Rodd, Ashman, Quirke, Heyes and any other dual qualified player either side can no doubt think of.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:54 am
England have some quality young wingers coming through the system, OHC and Radwan are the front runners for me and I’d like to see them capped in the summer. But also got Loader, David, Lynagh.
I think that O’Flaherty and Hassell-Collins are top choices, according to the stats. Marchant could also find himself on the wing, given that we have plenty of options at 13 - Slade, Lawrence, Joseph(?).

Odogwu could also be next in the pecking order - having been in the camp during the 6 Nations - but he hasn’t been on top form recently. I’d probably also have Loader in ahead of Radwan.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is Sleighthome English? He's rapid!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:12 pm Is Sleighthome English? He's rapid!
His dad played for England so I'd assume he qualifies. Him and Freeman at Saints both look very promising and very quick players. The entire LI back three have all done well this season, particularly ball in hand. If Radwan is fit then there's the successor to Johnny May. I'm interested to see which way Eddie goes on the wing. Previously he's liked wingers that can cover 15 ala Watson and May. That could play into the hands of Loader and Freeman.

For centres I'd hope we don't bring Slade into the summer squad because a) we need to look at other options and b) his recent media comments mean there will be a constant conversation around the squad as well and it won't be positive particularly if there's a third wave. Joseph is now into his thirties, again no point selecting him especially at the expense of Marchant who is a similar player several years younger.

Piers O'Connor should really be in there. Could be a good option at 12 though he can cover most the backline. I'm a fan of Sam James but don't think he'll get a look in.