sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Challenge Cup Quarter final 2021 v Newcastle

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm
Snoopydog68 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:13 pm

You mean George Martin capped by England at blindside and man of the match at blindside yesterday?

A six with his height is particularly useful as it gives us three high quality lineout jumpers. Just like when Liebenburg plays there or should he play lock as well? We used to have a nice chap called Tom Croft play 6 for us as well, he was handy like that as well.

If we are going to keep playing Borthwick's physical forwards game and keep using the rolling maul as a real weapon then we are likely to keep using a big option at 6.

I have no issue with George Martin - he's an amazing player and hopefully will be with us for many years. It would be nice to see Martin play second row occasionally. Would Tom Croft get in the Tigers squad now looking at how heavy the back row has become? Probably not. Tigers have just loaned out a Tom Croft style player (Sam Lewis) to Coventry so I think there's your answer.
I guess if Liebenberg is a nailed on starter at 6 then it massively limits Martin’s opportunities so I would be keen to see him at lock more too. That said he’s great at 6 and Liebenberg can’t play every game so it’s great having 2 quality back rows:

Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese
Martin Reffell Brink

Not suggesting wholesale rotation but we have great options ahead of us next season and if required Martin can always play lock if required
You might not suggesting it but that's what we're going to get with Borthwick. He's shown it already and I think he will continue to do so. Martin can play both lock and blindside, whatever the job required to get the win is what he'll do.

Would Tom Croft get in today? 100%, his physicality was always underrated, his skillset was ridiculous and I don't think we've seen a better lineout jumper. I'm sure Kay has said Crofty only needed one lifter, Borthwick loves his set piece and would appreciate that option particularly with how easily that would allow us to set a rolling maul.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tom Croft at his prime would be one of the first names on the team sheet and probably captain, people saying otherwise need to give their head a wobble, as yet Sam Lewis isn't fit to be put in the same sentence, he's on loan because as yet he isn't good enough to play not because of his physique
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:22 pm Tom Croft at his prime would be one of the first names on the team sheet and probably captain, people saying otherwise need to give their head a wobble, as yet Sam Lewis isn't fit to be put in the same sentence, he's on loan because as yet he isn't good enough to play not because of his physique
Agreed. Sam Lewis is good but he’s no Crofty! Well not yet anyway
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I think Sam Lewis will be a late developer. Bags of talent, a touch of spontaneity about him too...just needs time to bulk up. I’m very hopeful about him ...we are really blessed with some great young players ✊
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:18 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:05 pm
Snoopydog68 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:52 pm

I have no issue with George Martin - he's an amazing player and hopefully will be with us for many years. It would be nice to see Martin play second row occasionally. Would Tom Croft get in the Tigers squad now looking at how heavy the back row has become? Probably not. Tigers have just loaned out a Tom Croft style player (Sam Lewis) to Coventry so I think there's your answer.
I guess if Liebenberg is a nailed on starter at 6 then it massively limits Martin’s opportunities so I would be keen to see him at lock more too. That said he’s great at 6 and Liebenberg can’t play every game so it’s great having 2 quality back rows:

Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese
Martin Reffell Brink

Not suggesting wholesale rotation but we have great options ahead of us next season and if required Martin can always play lock if required
You might not suggesting it but that's what we're going to get with Borthwick. He's shown it already and I think he will continue to do so. Martin can play both lock and blindside, whatever the job required to get the win is what he'll do.

Would Tom Croft get in today? 100%, his physicality was always underrated, his skillset was ridiculous and I don't think we've seen a better lineout jumper. I'm sure Kay has said Crofty only needed one lifter, Borthwick loves his set piece and would appreciate that option particularly with how easily that would allow us to set a rolling maul.
For a couple of years Crofty was the best blind side on the planet. His skill set was absolutely rare and he'd be a phenomenal player regardless of the era he played in. I remember him having a ridiculous game at the Stoop and also when we hammered Saints at the Allotment and had their fans leaving in droves not long after half time. Amazing talent whose career was cruelly cut short by injuries. Without that I think he'd be considered as an England all time great.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicester's pack was so insanely good when Croft was playing that he could often play at lock with Ayerza, Castro or White and Chuter with Kay or Deacon amongst it.
I mean that's some of the best ever in their positions.
I thought Leicester played well in this game against Newcastle.
Martin played well.
Big defence, scrum and maul.
Newcastle aren't a bad side in my opinion, they were just outplayed.
Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Post by Alandrin75 »

Martin came through the academy etc as a lock and I think he will ultimately end up there.

Crofty is a once in a generation talent. Athetically insane and could be single man lifted at the front of the lineout by a prop (Castro). He is probably in the top 3 lineout operators at the front of a lineout in history. That doesn't take into account his pace which meant he was possibly the quickest player or second quickest at the club.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Crofty was the fastest forward I have ever seen
A2O
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Martin reminds me of a Joe Worsley type of 6. His best work (so far) has been without the ball - tackling, clearing out rucks.

We haven't seen much of his ball-carrying or ball-handling, but then he's only played a handful of games.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:55 am Martin reminds me of a Joe Worsley type of 6. His best work (so far) has been without the ball - tackling, clearing out rucks.

We haven't seen much of his ball-carrying or ball-handling, but then he's only played a handful of games.
In my opinion, his ball-carrying was very good against Connacht. In fact he was my man-of-the-match that day, absolutely outstanding!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Martin and Chessum are primarily locks that they are both showing up well at 6 is good for the team. I believe Martin will establish himself in the second row as he matures and his body hardens. I see time and time again on here that we should sign a quality lock to replace Lavanin, personally I don't see the need we have a signing on the way to replace Enever and with the guys already here in the position we have enough quality.
I am not sure why WRFC is so against Wigglesworth, he is an aging scrumhalf obviously but with such a young prospect in the squad as JVP I think it is a good idea pairing youth and experience and Ben Youngs cannot be involved every game. I am sure the long term future will see changes as Wiggy will not go on forever but in the here and now he is worth his place in the squad.
We are developing a squad where every position has two realistic options (except possibly half-backs) for Borthwick to select from and even at 10 our back up is much stronger than in recent seasons.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:12 am Crofty was the fastest forward I have ever seen
And the best international lineout BR forward ever imo
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:12 am Crofty was the fastest forward I have ever seen
I think a certain Martin Corry might disagree.

Moody wasn't too bad a jumper either - he did take the line out in the WC just before that dropgoal
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 pm
I think a certain Martin Corry might disagree.

Moody wasn't too bad a jumper either - he did take the line out in the WC just before that dropgoal
Good shouts! Kieran Read is very good too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I remember him taking a high ball (maybe from our kick off) and out sprinting Ian Balshaw to the line, Balshaw was no slouch
God created rugby so footballers have heros too