Challenge Cup Quarter final 2021 v Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Challenge Cup Quarter final 2021 v Newcastle

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 pm Remy Time...... Though Mrs Big Dai has warned me it's too early.

Thought that was a good forward / defensive effort. Backs flashed in places.

Onwards and upwards.

Two Leicester teams in a cup semi.....

Keep the Faith (With due deference to Bill.)
Nonsense Mrs Big Dai.. it’s never too early following a Tigers win :smt030 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Discipline and defence really good today.

Sure opportunities were missed to put it to bed earlier - personally I've seen that a few times in other games - but you have to remember where we've come from and how many games some of these guys have played together.

So overall a good performance and we move on.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:35 pm 39-15 doesn’t really tell the whole story given how nervous it was at 65 minutes or so...
I wasn't nervous. You can't win a game if you concede a penalty at every scrum. Almost any Falcons error meant we had a lineout in their half. Falcons defence was ferocious but they needed more than that and we didn't let have anything.

Really good performance from the squad, yes we should have scored some more points but it's job done in a dominant fashion. Borthwick is creating some real depth and quality in the squad.

Martin man of match well deserved. McPhillips looks a different player to what we saw last year, these last few games have been a huge improvement from him. Burns might struggle to make the bench next season. Henderson led the lineout well and is another young bloke doing very well. Bring on the semis.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Fantastic result. Think about how far we have come in a year to play that team and get that result. We struggled for fluency at times but there were moments of real quality. Defensive effort was our best this year, discipline much improved and dominant up front. Newcastle do slow the game down at every opportunity. I am not convinced they were ever really in the game. Think of the development of players like Potter, Martin, Heyes, Clare, Henderson, McPhillips. We are making excellent progress. Still so much more to come.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Thank you Dylan.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m really annoyed with Steve Borthwick. How dare he build a winning mentality. How dare he raise my optimism and expectations to now think we may actually win this competition and are even now looking potential top 4 contenders. How dare he make selection so difficult by bringing on the youngsters and improving the old heads to create a squad who can all hold their own in the first XV. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Winning when we're not playing our best is a huge statement.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think McPhillips has benefitted from actually playing 10.
His ability to cover 15, 13 and 12 is very handy.
But he was very well liked at Ulster for a reason, and has only just turned 24.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 pm I’m really annoyed with Steve Borthwick. How dare he build a winning mentality. How dare he raise my optimism and expectations to now think we may actually win this competition and are even now looking potential top 4 contenders. How dare he make selection so difficult by bringing on the youngsters and improving the old heads to create a squad who can all hold their own in the first XV. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
+1......... + How dare he knock a dent in my Remy budget! I'll have to rob the swear box at this rate!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I really feel for Falcons 17, end of his career?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm Winning when we're not playing our best is a huge statement.
It was one of things that characterised the Tigers of old
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Since the new year we are
8 wins in 12 games.
With only having our England players for 5 of those games.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 pm I think McPhillips has benefitted from actually playing 10.
His ability to cover 15, 13 and 12 is very handy.
But he was very well liked at Ulster for a reason, and has only just turned 24.
Agreed - also having him playing with experiences inside and outside him with Youngs/Wiggy and Scott and Moroni. Really like JMcP’s range of options particularly shown in the build up to the first try with passing and kicks. Then he isn’t afraid in defence and kicking is improving working with Ford. He’s looking like a fine player, with the right attitude and hopefully will continue to get better!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Think Henry could be in trouble if Burns shows.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Wish the Premiership refs would ref like Poit. Great to get to the semi but I feel we don’t quite have enough back play to trouble sides like Bath and a rejuvenated Saints. But what a good season it’s becoming.
Think the England boys will need to up their game to get selected as those who started look like the first team. Shame about Hanro. Hope he’s ok.