Challenge Cup Quarter final 2021 v Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

VernonAtrium

Re: Challenge Cup Quarter final 2021 v Newcastle

Post by VernonAtrium »

Found myself looking forward to this game, today. Weird feeling. Can't remember when I last felt like that about a Tigers game.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 pm Tbh I dont really rate Ritchie Gray
He was a quality player a few years ago, but looks a shadow of his previous self now.

Reckon Henderson in with a shout if the mooted game between Scotland A and the Saxons happens, doubt he'll get in the first team this summer but I may be wrong.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Do we know when the semis are?
peteD

Post by peteD »

bendy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:33 pm Do we know when the semis are?
1st /2nd May
bendy

Post by bendy »

peteD wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:35 pm
bendy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:33 pm Do we know when the semis are?
1st /2nd May
:smt023
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Are we on "Neutral" grounds?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:12 pm Are we on "Neutral" grounds?
I'm sure RL said it was an open draw and 1st team out is at home
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A comprehensive victory - more emphatic in every respect than that of Premiership Round 15.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm Winning when we're not playing our best is a huge statement.
+1.

Quite an exciting prospect that we're nowhere near our best yet!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:53 pm It's what we need though competition.
The players Borthwick will want are the ones who will step up to it.

Borthwick has made it very clear with his contracts and selections.
If you are training well you will get chances and if you take those chances you will keep getting more, he rewards players a lot more than our previous head coaches.
Perhaps a benefit of having someone not brought through the Tigers system as head coach, no loyalty to old players etc
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:32 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:53 pm It's what we need though competition.
The players Borthwick will want are the ones who will step up to it.

Borthwick has made it very clear with his contracts and selections.
If you are training well you will get chances and if you take those chances you will keep getting more, he rewards players a lot more than our previous head coaches.
Perhaps a benefit of having someone not brought through the Tigers system as head coach, no loyalty to old players etc
A bit at odds with his old boss, then.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm Anyone else reckon Henderson might get capped by Scotland this summer?
I think he's got to be in the reckoning. Problem is there seems to be some strength-in-depth for the Scots in this area now, Richie Gray back from injury, while both his brother and Cummings have formed a pretty staunch lock partnership at international level. Alex Craig of Gloucester has recently been capped whilst the uncapped Glen Young (currently with Quins but has signed for Edinburgh next season) and Will Witty (Exeter) have both been playing quite well this season in the Premiership.

If it's not this summer, it will be not long after. He's not long fresh off the U20s roster, so I'm sure they're keeping their eye out on the guy.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:40 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:07 pm Anyone else reckon Henderson might get capped by Scotland this summer?
I think he's got to be in the reckoning. Problem is there seems to be some strength-in-depth for the Scots in this area now, Richie Gray back from injury, while both his brother and Cummings have formed a pretty staunch lock partnership at international level. Alex Craig of Gloucester has recently been capped whilst the uncapped Glen Young (currently with Quins but has signed for Edinburgh next season) and Will Witty (Exeter) have both been playing quite well this season in the Premiership.

If it's not this summer, it will be not long after. He's not long fresh off the U20s roster, so I'm sure they're keeping their eye out on the guy.
IDK I'm just looking at the potential Ashman situation and could see Scotland trying to use this tour as a capture tour
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 am A comprehensive victory - more emphatic in every respect than that of Premiership Round 15.
I suspect a lot of it down to the difference in penalties and cards between the games.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:40 am

IDK I'm just looking at the potential Ashman situation and could see Scotland trying to use this tour as a capture tour
I think it's a bit like who blinks first. Whichever home nation starts the cap them young selection will see the other nations take it further and further. If Scotland go and cap Witty (wasn't he England under 20s), Ashman and Henderson. Does Eddie go, well that's the way it's going is it. Names a front row of;

Rodd
Capon
Heyes

Scrum halfs of Randall and Quirke.

Pivac then decides to wholesale cap a lot of Welsh qualified youngsters who haven't gone with England. People like Reffell for instance, the region's might be happy with that as it increases the chances of luring those players to Wales in future seasons. Just as long as they still select enough Welsh based talent not to give the home based talent the hump.

Could all get very messy very quickly. Particularly if they start capping promising teenagers who are dual qualified. An arms race no one wanted and no one needed.