Penalty tries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tjs10inOz

Re: Penalty tries

Post by tjs10inOz »

Noggs wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:34 am
tjs10inOz wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:23 am It used to be the law that, if an act of foul play was committed by the defending team during the act of a try being scored, the referee is still entitled to restart the game with a penalty to the attacking side on the halfway line...effectively giving the opportunity for a 10 point try.

However that Law (22.17) appears to have now been downgraded from a penalty kick to a free kick.

2017 version

Current version
5's beach rugby :smt017
Sorry, serves me right for sourcing a link while in a hurry!

Maybe the current sanction is still a penalty then!
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:50 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:23 am It used to be the law that, if an act of foul play was committed by the defending team during the act of a try being scored, the referee is still entitled to restart the game with a penalty to the attacking side on the halfway line...effectively giving the opportunity for a 10 point try.

However that Law (22.17) appears to have now been downgraded from a penalty kick to a free kick.

2017 version

Current version
In a school game I once shoved into an opponent after he scored out of frustration and the ref gave them the penalty from the restart. I think that law should be fully reinstated and officiated properly.
Once played in a game where our 2nd row broke through the line, proceded to smash through the opposition fullback, run in under the posts, he turned round under the posts and gave the finger to the opposition before scoring the try. Ref allowed the try to stand but the opposition had a penalty from the restart for unsporting behaviour....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It would suggest Barnes was right then to not award the PT.. unless he blew the whistle at the moment of the "offence" the try stands, & as the try was scored the actions of Price had no detrimental affect on the play, so has an offence actually happened?
For me the fact the try stands as a try is good as the rugby deserved it, but a yellow was deserved but it really isn't obvious if it could be given.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The penalty on restart - is that not for offences that occur after the try has been scored (by either side) for the examples of unsporting conduct or a knee into the try scorer.

Not sure that you can restart with a penalty for an infringement that occurred before the try was scored. That would be the "advantage" over. Cards can be dished out, of course.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm Good job we had Hamish Smales outstanding performance in the Bristol v Quins game to restore our faith in officiating because Barnes and Dickson had shockers! Dickson has took CMK title as the league's worse ref for me now!
Do I read into that CMK may have improved? Or are you of the view that he's not improved and Dickson has just slotted in below him?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It wasn't a penalty try that was scored against Tigers on Sunday, but we could easily have been down to 12 players if Newcastle hadn't scored that try, we were almost certainly on the limit for another yellow but for that score.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:00 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm Good job we had Hamish Smales outstanding performance in the Bristol v Quins game to restore our faith in officiating because Barnes and Dickson had shockers! Dickson has took CMK title as the league's worse ref for me now!
Do I read into that CMK may have improved? Or are you of the view that he's not improved and Dickson has just slotted in below him?
Smales was excellent, is he new or refs in another league? Scottish I assume? We don't hear enough from posters when a ref does well, wonder why? :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Smales was excellent, is he new or refs in another league? Scottish I assume? We don't hear enough from posters when a ref does well, wonder why? :smt017
His 5th game in this league apparently, I dont recall seeing him before though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Hamish Smales reffed us against Wasps, didn't he? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Hamish has been an assistant ref a few times at Welford Road before stepping into the middle.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

A bit about Hamish and reffing:
https://youtu.be/p4crFVpXJYo

And this is his day job:
https://www.gscgrays.co.uk/team/hamish-smales/
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:00 pm [

Because as one said, (apologies, will try to source the quote) "I only referee when they're doing it wrong"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 pm Hamish has been an assistant ref a few times at Welford Road before stepping into the middle.
He was the referee for our Premiership Rugby Cup game against Worcester a couple of years ago.

I clearly wasn't impressed with him as my teenage daughter pointed out that while I could complain as much as I liked, it didn't change anything as the referees decision is final - some things you don't forget! Pleasing though that he has improved to such an extent that he has now been anointed as a refereeing god by some.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Freebird wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:43 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 pm Hamish has been an assistant ref a few times at Welford Road before stepping into the middle.
He was the referee for our Premiership Rugby Cup game against Worcester a couple of years ago.

I clearly wasn't impressed with him as my teenage daughter pointed out that while I could complain as much as I liked, it didn't change anything as the referees decision is final - some things you don't forget! Pleasing though that he has improved to such an extent that he has now been anointed as a refereeing god by some.
Who said he was a refereeing God?! You mustve dreamt that I'm afraid.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Smales refs in the championship