European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Post by JP14 »

When was the last time we put 48 points on somebody? Castres 2017?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The TMO yesterday didn't go looking for things to flag up a pleasant change to recent weeks....yes that probably was a forward pass for one of their trys, but as we all know it's an odd thing on the TV, there weren't huge pauses to watch countless frame by frame replays as such the game was less stop start, the Henderson "high tackle" if reversed would of had most on here screaming where are you supposed to tackle them..., I was worried when the ref changed as over recent years any Welsh sir without the first name Nigel & last Owens has been rubbish, he was actually pretty tolerant of our poor discipline, we were lucky to only get one yellow (another rather dull one as well)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:50 am When was the last time we put 48 points on somebody? Castres 2017?
All those problems with the attack and we scored tries from a variety of different situations last night. Wasn't just the rolling maul getting the job done. The McPhillips break, I had to do a double take for. Didn't think he had it in him, he looks a completely different player these last two games.

Some of the defence was frustrating but Connacht are a good side and our side was a bit mix and match. I'm sure Ford Snr and Borthwick will be drilling the lads hard next week in keeping their shape, particularly around the ruck. We also had a lot of pressure applied and didn't just fall apart which is pleasing.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

With Montoya presumably out for the rest of the season and with his great form of late, is Clare pushing to be our starting hooker ahead Youngs?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It's very pleasing to see the onward development of players like Clare. I was concerned about the lack of experience of the replacement front three but in the event they fronted up well.

Our line speed was excellent, no doubt due to the increased fitness achieved under Aled's coaching.

Still some way to go but we are progressing in the right direction whilst developing a squad of players with real depth :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 am What a win, Connacht made error after error (especially in the first half) but boy did we capitalise. I think most of the humble pie has to go to BT Sport though they were proper embarrassed which probably made the game more enjoyable.

Obviously defence around the ruck, discipline and restarts are still a big work on and the scrum was a bit creaky in the first half. My only real disappointment is that there wasn’t a full WR absolutely rocking to compliment the victory.

I thought Will Hurd looked more than sturdy in and around the scrum.
What were BT saying pre-game? I missed the chat but know Ugo seems to have something against Tigers, probably spent too much time with Dallaglio.

Also found it odd the Connacht coach was talking about moving our big pack around, that was a pretty mobile pack and recent games have shown we have decent fitness.

Finally, thought Ben Youngs was excellent, his influence on the game was Fordesque.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Connacht seemed to be naively looking to play from anywhere and made lots of silly mistakes.
It was a bit like watching a junior game at times.
Only concern for me was the scrum first half, it struggled but selection dealt with it.
I thought that Clare, Wiese, Youngs, Scott and Maroni led excellently.
De Bruin was very good in adapting to ensure they weren't beat, there is sound reasoning behind taking the occasional risk of getting pinged.
Wells was good when he came on.
Proof that if you ensure the spine is strong and make changes at the right time then a result can be had with a largely lesser experienced team than the oppsition.
I don't think it was totally wrong to have doubts about selection as that's the kind of selection that we've seen badly managed many times before.
Credit where it's due that was a job well managed.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 am Anyone any idea where I can watch a replay of the match or highlights? Nothing on BT sport for the challenge cup games this weekend and nothing on the European Rugby Cup website.
So annoyed I missed the game!
Here you are Tigers86asw your Easter present ~ the video of the game on EPCR website. Enjoy.
- https://www.epcrugby.com/video/highligh ... cht-rugby/ :smt023

This game is going to make those Internationals and others stand up and work for selection now as we have a great squad of 30+ players in a great shape.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Interesting post-match interview. Ben Youngs had started more games for Tigers than the rest of the entire starting team combined. The contrasting ages of the bench. Tigers: one 19, one 20, four 21, one 22, one 27. Connacht four 23, one 26, three 27. A Tigers front row, aged 21, looked composed against a Connacht bench with two props aged 27 and a hooker 23.

Wonderful watching an energetic team, the camaraderie, with lots of homegrown really youthful talent, combining with legends such as Ben Youngs desperate to perform in a Tigers shirt. A 19 years old England international on the field. The future England scrum half, JVP nineteen, not even in the squad.

It goes to show that top class coaching (and I include Walters in that) improves players. The best players want to work with great coaches and that is an additional benefit for Tigers looking forward.

Humility and patience. But pride in the shirt is returning.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I really enjoyed the game as it did look like the selection had taken the pressure off the team as they knew lots of us thought they might struggle and so too did the media. Still think the TMO wasn’t great, ref didn’t give more yellow cards probably because Connacht had put in some high hits that went unpunished!
Newcastle will be another huge test as next week Deano will bring the first team and have the side really pumped up.
Discipline will be key as The Premiership, in my opinion, is a tougher, more skilful league then the Welsh/Irish equivalent.
Like everyone else I cannot wait( though we will have to) to get back supporting home and away to give some really loud vocal support.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was disappointed that McPhillips didn't get the ball on to the ground after that amazing solo run in the last part of the game.
A candidate for the try of the season had he done so. I am not sure why BT Sport have not included it in the highlights. Anyone know where it is available?
A life long Tiger
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's just amazing how far we have come with S B. The squad is really showing a growing fire and confidence.

Long may it last lads. :smt023 :smt041
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Smudge wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:23 pm I was disappointed that McPhillips didn't get the ball on to the ground after that amazing solo run in the last part of the game.
A candidate for the try of the season had he done so. I am not sure why BT Sport have not included it in the highlights. Anyone know where it is available?
BT Sport usually tweet that kind of thing but unfortunately this time they haven’t done so.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:57 pm
Smudge wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:23 pm I was disappointed that McPhillips didn't get the ball on to the ground after that amazing solo run in the last part of the game.
BT Sport usually tweet that kind of thing but unfortunately this time they haven’t done so.
might be a rights issue
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

wormus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:08 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 am Anyone any idea where I can watch a replay of the match or highlights? Nothing on BT sport for the challenge cup games this weekend and nothing on the European Rugby Cup website.
So annoyed I missed the game!
Here you are Tigers86asw your Easter present ~ the video of the game on EPCR website. Enjoy.
- https://www.epcrugby.com/video/highligh ... cht-rugby/ :smt023

This game is going to make those Internationals and others stand up and work for selection now as we have a great squad of 30+ players in a great shape.
Oh, now you have gone and spoilt my chance, I was going to invite him round and watch my recording, and bring a bottle! :smt030