European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Last 16 home match against Connacht. Match is live on BT Sport 3 for those that have the channel and kick off is 2000. Tigers are certainly finding ways of winning matches again and as SB said in his post match interview today we are starting to get back into a winning habit rather than a losing one. A good place to be, lots of positives and we are well placed in the Premiership. Next 2 premiership matches after this match are very winnable (away to Bath and home to Saints) so we could start to put a nice little run together.

Lots of different ways of playing selection for this one but personally I would like to field a strong team with a home QF against Ospreys/Newcastle to prize for the winner. Both of those are very beatable, especially at WR and then only 2 matches stand between us and the trophy. With no relegation this season in the Premiership I don't see any reason not to target this match. I would go for a similar side we fielded today, perhaps with the inclusion of Ben Youngs and Tomas Lavanini:

15 Freddie Steward
14 Harry Potter
13 Matías Moroni
12 Dan Kelly
11 Kini Murimurivalu
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole
4 Harry Wells
5 Tomas Lavanini
6 Hanro Liebenberg
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Jasper Wiese

Replacements:

16 Charlie Clare
17 Luan de Bruin
18 Joe Heyes
19 Cameron Henderson
20 George Martin
21 Jack Van Poortvliet
22 Zac Henry
23 Guy Porter

Like the dynamic duo of Martin and Henderson off the bench and gives flexibility to cover lock or back row. Porter the same in the backs covering centre and wing. Thought Green played well today so tough call I just prefer the pairing of Lavanini and Wells.

Connacht without their captain Jarrad Butler and centre Bundee Aki due to suspensions.

Very winnable one this one. Connacht have lost their last 3 matches but are sat 2nd in their conference and shouldn't be underestimated. Let's hope Pascal Gaüzère has a decent outing this time round.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Post by Scott1 »

What do we do about Nadolo if fit?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Sir has changed I believe.

If Nemani is fit he starts.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:56 pm What do we do about Nadolo if fit?
If he's fit I'd start him but only if he's fully fit. It's a tough one as both Potter and Murimurivalu have been solid but I think Nadolo brings an extra option to our game. Who he'd replace though is a tough call...
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:59 pm Sir has changed I believe.

Has he? well that great news.. unless it's Dickson! Although even then I think I'd accept! :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:01 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:59 pm Sir has changed I believe.

Has he? well that great news.. unless it's Dickson! Although even then I think I'd accept! :smt023
You're right WRFC thank you.

Referee: Adam Jones (Wal); Assistant referees: Jack Makepeace (Eng), Phil Watters (Eng); TMO: Sean Brickell (Wal)
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

For me, if fit, Nadolo would be a good shirt 23 option. Covers wing and centre and allows some power and pace off the bench in the last 30/20 mins. Imagine a fresh Nadolo against tired defences after 55 mins?!

Keep Potter and Murimurivalu on the wings as both have shown up well.

Otherwise, I wouldn't change much in the 23.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

When he comes back I would have had Nadalo on the bench. Don't see any rush.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Although we have been much improved this season, I still believe the Challenge Cup is the best route for us qualifying for the Champions Cup next season, unless they retain this season's format... :smt017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Pundit

Post by Pundit »

"You're right WRFC thank you.

Referee: Adam Jones (Wal); Assistant referees: Jack Makepeace (Eng), Phil Watters (Eng); TMO: Sean Brickell (Wal)"

I thought we'd drawn "welshman" Pascal Gauzere as referee!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think from his involvement in Burns reveal last week when he said he's been training but stated "few weeks away yet" I doubt Nadolo is going to be fit.

Hopefully there's no delayed concussion for Steward or Potter.

Youngs has had one week off, but Wigglesworth looked a bit leggy yesterday (also Youngs and Ford have played more together so have that bit extra understanding between the two)

Henderson has been playing well, so I'd start him with Wells, give Green the week off and put Lavannini on the bench.

IF Martin requires some time off after England, I'd be tempted to rest him this weekend, put Chessum on the bench.

Scott could come in 12 or 13, but I'd keep Kelly and Moroni together personally with Ford, build that axis for the team going forward.

Front Row I'm tempted to rotate Heyes and Cole again, but would be happy any way around.

15. Steward
14. Potter
13. Moroni
12. Kelly
11. Murimurivalu
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Heyes
4. Henderson
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Wiese

16. Clare
17. De Bruin
18. Cole
19. Lavannini
20. Martin/Chessum
21. JvP
22. Henry
23. Porter/Scott
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Knockout rugby. Biggest game of the season to date, so would expect us to go full tilt in terms of selection. Expect this to mean B Youngs back at 9 and Lavanini returning to the 23. Really interested to see what partnership we go with at 12/13, Kelly for me deserves to keep his spot, but have a feeling that SB will revert to Scott. Can't see Taute getting much of a look in, bar when we rest Moroni.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will be interesting to see what happens with Wiese, Deano was certainly sounding like he was going to take it up to people higher.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 am Will be interesting to see what happens with Wiese, Deano was certainly sounding like he was going to take it up to people higher.
But I'm not sure what can be done? Was it foul play? No, Was it an unlucky incident? Absolutely. It was looked at by the TMO and referee and they decided it was just an illegal in at the side entry and not even foul play which I agree with. It was a ruck clear out that unfortunately dislocated his shoulder. I think if Wiese put in a perfectly legal tackle on me it would probably end my season yet it wouldn't be worthy of citing and suspension. Deano can whinge all he likes but I sincerely hope he doesn't try and make something out of this.

Dean Richards, accused Dickson of “a preconception” in his approach, and “a perception about who was infringing”, and said of Welsh’s injury: “It doesn’t seem right that it’s not foul play. We’ll be seeking clarity on [that] – hitting somebody off the ball when he’s vulnerable… and also why the referee can’t go back to that.”

How long post match do players have to be cited? 48hrs I think? Well, I guess we will know soon.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:55 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 am Will be interesting to see what happens with Wiese, Deano was certainly sounding like he was going to take it up to people higher.
But I'm not sure what can be done? Was it foul play? No, Was it an unlucky incident? Absolutely. It was looked at by the TMO and referee and they decided it was just an illegal in at the side entry and not even foul play which I agree with. It was a ruck clear out that unfortunately dislocated his shoulder. I think if Wiese put in a perfectly legal tackle on me it would probably end my season yet it wouldn't be worthy of citing and suspension. Deano can whinge all he likes but I sincerely hope he doesn't try and make something out of this.

Dean Richards, accused Dickson of “a preconception” in his approach, and “a perception about who was infringing”, and said of Welsh’s injury: “It doesn’t seem right that it’s not foul play. We’ll be seeking clarity on [that] – hitting somebody off the ball when he’s vulnerable… and also why the referee can’t go back to that.”

How long post match do players have to be cited? 48hrs I think? Well, I guess we will know soon.
They have been having the hearings Tuesday and Wednesday nights, with it normally announced Monday who's been cited (but with it being a Sunday Kick off they may only announce them tommorow)

Players can be injured doing legal things. Personally I don't think it was a cheap shot even, was a straightforward side entry on someone trying to jackel he wrapped and tried to clear him out. Don't see how that can get cited tbh
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.