European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: European Challenge Cup - Tigers vs Connacht Sat 03 Apr 21 at 2000

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:30 pm Wells really does give me Slater vibes.
Really has stepped into his shoes this season.

Question is do we stick with that team for the semi?
Considering we had a didn't start XV of
1. Genge, 2. Youngs, 3. Cole, 4. Wells, 5. Green, 6. Chessum, 7. Reffell, 8. Liebenberg
9. Wigg, 10. Ford, 11. Nadolo, 12. Taute, 13. Kelly, 14. Murimurivalu, 15. Steward
1. Genge 2. Youngs 3. Cole 4. Wells 5 Liebenberg 6. Chessum 7. Reffell 8. Wiese
9. Youngs 10. Ford 11. Murimurivalu 12. Scott 13. Moroni 14. Potter 15. Steward

Lavanini is a headcase and personally I do not rate Green that highly
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:30 pm Wells really does give me Slater vibes.
Really has stepped into his shoes this season.

Question is do we stick with that team for the semi?
Considering we had a didn't start XV of
1. Genge, 2. Youngs, 3. Cole, 4. Wells, 5. Green, 6. Chessum, 7. Reffell, 8. Liebenberg
9. Wigg, 10. Ford, 11. Nadolo, 12. Taute, 13. Kelly, 14. Murimurivalu, 15. Steward
I’d go for:

1. Genge 2. Clare 3. Cole 4. Henderson 5. Wells 6 Liebenberg 7. Reffell 8. Wiese 9. Youngs 10. Ford 11. Murimurivalu 12. Kelly 13. Moroni 14. Potter 15. Steward

16. Youngs 17. De Bruin 18. Heyes 19. Green 20. Martin 21. JvP 22. JMcP 23. Porter

If Nadolo is 100% fully fit I might include him but wouldn’t rush him back if not ready
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:43 pm Ref was fine called what he saw, TMO let him down with the 2 key incidents, the forward pass for one of their try and not calling the Penalty Try for tackling Cam Henderson round the neck
Agreed
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

btw isn't it the quarter final next week not the semi?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 pm btw isn't it the quarter final next week not the semi?
Yes it's the QF
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

That was a very determined and spirited performance. Lots of positives with work ons for discipline, guard defence and lineout (a few first half lineouts were flaky). What really pleased me was the spirit; at face value to go for touch when the clock was in the red seemed odd but I think the guys were miffed at the Connacht coach’s declaration pre-match when he said they wanted to play fast and run our big forwards around and out of the game. They tried but it didn’t happen and I think the 80 + min kick to touch was saying “ who is tired now, we want 50 points, bring it on”? A big shout for the S and C team.
Last edited by Scuttle on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
As Good As It Gets
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Anyone any idea where I can watch a replay of the match or highlights? Nothing on BT sport for the challenge cup games this weekend and nothing on the European Rugby Cup website.
So annoyed I missed the game!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What a win, Connacht made error after error (especially in the first half) but boy did we capitalise. I think most of the humble pie has to go to BT Sport though they were proper embarrassed which probably made the game more enjoyable.

Obviously defence around the ruck, discipline and restarts are still a big work on and the scrum was a bit creaky in the first half. My only real disappointment is that there wasn’t a full WR absolutely rocking to compliment the victory.

I thought Will Hurd looked more than sturdy in and around the scrum.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 am What a win, Connacht made error after error (especially in the first half) but boy did we capitalise. I think most of the humble pie has to go to BT Sport though they were proper embarrassed which probably made the game more enjoyable.

Obviously defence around the ruck, discipline and restarts are still a big work on and the scrum was a bit creaky in the first half. My only real disappointment is that there wasn’t a full WR absolutely rocking to compliment the victory.

Really enjoyed how strong the last scrum looked with Whitcombe, Dolly & Hurd in it. Borthwick has shown he can improve the game of guys who work with him, for them to have solid fundamentals for a front row and their respective age shows they have got a real chance to develop.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Three words:
Keep. The. Faith. :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Borthwick post game;

"This might surprise you but I don't pay any attention to what anybody else says about the decisions I make," said Borthwick.

"I believe I make the decisions in the right way for the progress of this team."

Well he got it spot on last night. The lads young and experienced certainly delivered for him. A lot of us had our doubts but in Borthwick we trust.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 pm When was the last time we had 6 different try scorers in a match? :smt017

Still buzzing after that game
To have 6 different try scorers, you need to score at least 6 tries. Not something that Tigers have done very often for a couple of years IIRC :smt002
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great ,entertaining and open game.Personally,however, see nothing wrong with a boring win and whilst not wanting to put a downer on our victory I see fallibility in terms of discipline and dead ball kicking - the game could and should have been over at half time.
Superb spirit ,grit and determination , just need to think a little more and not get, or allow ourselves to get caught up in a whirlwind of on field emotion.Also, can we now start questioning TMO consistency ? The Ref was not exactly helped during the 80 mins..
Building nicely, but I still wont expect too much considering where we were.Grateful however.
A side issue only ,I'll be very interested to see what side we put out Vs Newcastle in the Quarter Finals considering we did seem to target the game a week ago....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 am What a win, Connacht made error after error (especially in the first half) but boy did we capitalise. I think most of the humble pie has to go to BT Sport though they were proper embarrassed which probably made the game more enjoyable.

Was there a game yesterday? Did we win? Oh dear, my aching head!

Yes, I thought the commentary team were very irritating. Wrote Tigers off as "Concentrating on the premiership" and it was all "What Connaught need to do" throughout the game.

Only when victory was inevitable..... A long way in.... did things change.

Tigers just showed what determination can do despite pundits' predictions.

How very "Tigers". 😁😁.

As Bill used to say, and has been mentioned earlier, "Keep the faith!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fentiger wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:38 am Three words:
Keep. The. Faith. :smt023