Finn Russel red card

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Finn Russel red card

Post by Dokie »

If I put my hand or my forearm into your face, I know which is more likely to damage you.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:11 pm If I put my hand or my forearm into your face, I know which is more likely to damage you.
Depends,the heel of the hand is a very dangerous weapon
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The physics don't quite work, if you can produce a lot of force in a handoff your foreword momentum won't be great, it's a bit of a lost art tbh...the Pacific Islanders seem quite adept at it, it's a fend as much as a push, every good 13 should be able to do it.
A decent official would be able easily to spot the difference in a legal handoff & something more "naughty".
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:23 pm
Dokie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:11 pm If I put my hand or my forearm into your face, I know which is more likely to damage you.
The heel of the hand has more padding and is softer. Therefore, elbow and hand with equal force, elbow has the potential to cause more damage.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:13 pm
The heel of the hand has more padding and is softer. Therefore, elbow and hand with equal force, elbow has the potential to cause more damage.
He said forearm,the elbow isn’t all of the forearm!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:14 pm

My apologies Scott, I misread.

Kind of pointless anyway - if the hand is used as a "weapon" then that would be excessive force and therefore illegal.

Here, have some more exclamation marks!!!!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:18 pm

My apologies Scott, I misread.

Kind of pointless anyway - if the hand is used as a "weapon" then that would be excessive force and therefore illegal.

Here, have some more exclamation marks!!!!!
Thanks!!!!! 😜👍
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

You must have a very muscular hand and a withered forearm. BTW, my elbow is at the end of my forearm, don’t know about you.
The main difference in potential impact is that in a hand off, the hand moves forward away from the shoulder. With a forearm, you also have the power from the shoulder involved because it follows the arm.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’ve got guns of steel. But as I said the elbow isn’t all the forearm,very simple anatomy 👍
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

RichieB wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:32 am I remember Dan Cole getting carded for similar a few years ago, so actually not that new. Can’t remember if it was yellow or red or who it was against, but I’m imagining a long galloping run cutting through the midfield, side-stepping the defence only to be met with a final defender close to the try line.
That's exactly the way Dan remembers it :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

My take is: Russell attempts a hand-off but does not get his arm straight in time which would have been a strong position on the tackler's shoulder. Because his elbow isn't locked out the force of the collision collapses the arm back towards Russell and his forearm ends up across the tackler's throat. Yellow card
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina