Pacific Island teams for Super Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Pacific Island teams for Super Rugby

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Article in The Times today (sorry, behind a pay wall - I get the paper edition) saying that a PI team for Fiji and one for Samoa/Tonga are pretty much sorted with financing coming mainly from World Rugby to start with.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Pacific Island teams for Super Rugby

Post by ourla »

Yeah, I read that on Twitter yesterday (Nadolo commented)

About time I say.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Agreed, better late than never.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Could be a nice spot for Manu.

Way overdue, now all it needs is for the Top Tier 1 teams to play there, stop stealing their talent etc etc..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Not sure it will make any difference with respect to Islanders playing in Europe (inc. UK). I believe the money is better in this part of the world and they are still able to play international rugby.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:20 am Could be a nice spot for Manu.

Way overdue, now all it needs is for the Top Tier 1 teams to play there, stop stealing their talent etc etc..
I believe that for the PI teams get a lot more money from playing the autumn internationals in the northern hemisphere than they would from hosting a tour for to limited infrastructure & capacity.

Agree on stop stealing their talent - but how many go over as young (<10 years old) and consider themselves Australian or Kiwi because they grew up there? The slight increase from 3 to 5 years for residency will help a bit
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Noggs wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 am Not sure it will make any difference with respect to Islanders playing in Europe (inc. UK). I believe the money is better in this part of the world and they are still able to play international rugby.
To begin with yes but once the next crop are coming through and they can afford if not the same rates, more competitive rates of pay it may get to a point where they can control mlre where players play. It will also force European clubs to pay more for them as now the choice is move abroad or move abroad further for more money. When one option is stay at home then all of a sudden it takes that much more money to pry players away
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:47 am
Noggs wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 am Not sure it will make any difference with respect to Islanders playing in Europe (inc. UK). I believe the money is better in this part of the world and they are still able to play international rugby.
To begin with yes but once the next crop are coming through and they can afford if not the same rates, more competitive rates of pay it may get to a point where they can control mlre where players play. It will also force European clubs to pay more for them as now the choice is move abroad or move abroad further for more money. When one option is stay at home then all of a sudden it takes that much more money to pry players away
Perhaps but any changes will take time. I can't see anything changing much in the next, say, 10 years but I would be happy to be proved wrong.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A step in the right direction , at least.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....