LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by JP14 »

A benefit of the tight ship that Borthwick is running is that we can have nice surprises such as the Hegarty announcement, which is better than knowing something for ages before being confirmed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by fentiger »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:43 am
fentiger wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am
I understand Socino has an Italian passport :smt017
Doesn't Moroni have one too or is working on getting one?
Possibly, quite a few Argentinians seem to have the right?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yeah Socino has had it said that he has an Italian Passport.

Currently I think that leaves the following as the only possible "overseas" players in our squad

Montoya
Moroni
Hegarty

As Australians do count as overseas (though a lot are entitled to British passports to a la Porter & Potter)

So hopefully one of those three has got a 2nd passport (or will shortly have one)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Apparently blank COVID jab cards are already available for sale on the internet, so a dodgy passport shouldn’t be too difficult to source. Either that or make a ‘contribution’ to a certain political party.

Sorry, feeling bitter and twisted this morning.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:53 am Yeah Socino has had it said that he has an Italian Passport.

Currently I think that leaves the following as the only possible "overseas" players in our squad

Montoya
Moroni
Hegarty

As Australians do count as overseas (though a lot are entitled to British passports to a la Porter & Potter)

So hopefully one of those three has got a 2nd passport (or will shortly have one)
I think Porter and Potter were both born in the UK.

Italy has quite easy dual nationality qualifications and a number of Italian immigrants moved there way back hence the number of dual nationality Argentinians is high.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:16 am Don’t think we’ll be making any top class signings given the salary cap and we’ve already got plenty of test players. I can see us making three more additions, some of the names banded around.

Young 10 - Dan Lancaster, Tommy Mathews
Squad prop - Dylan Smith, Henry Thomas
Flanker/lock - Michael Rhodes

Think Hegarty could prove to be a great addition. I imagine he’s viewed very much as a 15, but is also a quality operator at 10. He’ll be pushing some of the first XV for a spot.

Not sure about Socino covering 10, he’s very much an out and out 12. But Newcastle fans said he’s class when fit so looking forwards to seeing what he can do in a Tigers shirt.
Apologies, I'm behind the curve here....where have the Lancaster/Mathews rumours come from ? (aside from Rugby Inside Line). Is there anything substantial to back one or either of them up or is it just because we "think" that we may sign a young 10, and they're potentially available ? Is Rhodes a possibility because he's just announced that he's leaving Sarries ? The Kruis chat seems to have died down as well.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Sale yet to announce leavers , Ben curry for the back row ? Although we have options at 7
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:52 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:16 am Don’t think we’ll be making any top class signings given the salary cap and we’ve already got plenty of test players. I can see us making three more additions, some of the names banded around.

Young 10 - Dan Lancaster, Tommy Mathews
Squad prop - Dylan Smith, Henry Thomas
Flanker/lock - Michael Rhodes

Think Hegarty could prove to be a great addition. I imagine he’s viewed very much as a 15, but is also a quality operator at 10. He’ll be pushing some of the first XV for a spot.

Not sure about Socino covering 10, he’s very much an out and out 12. But Newcastle fans said he’s class when fit so looking forwards to seeing what he can do in a Tigers shirt.
Apologies, I'm behind the curve here....where have the Lancaster/Mathews rumours come from ? Is there anything substantial to back one or either of them up or is it just because we "think" that we may sign a young 10, and they're potentially available ? Is Rhodes a possibility because he's just announced that he's leaving Sarries ? The Kruis chat seems to have died down as well.
The Lancaster/Matthews is essentially just that we don't have one in the Development squad, plus Rugby Inside Line saying on Twitter we were linked to a young English player (didn't say it was a 10, but that is a hole in our Development squad)

Rhodes is mainly because Eggchasers podcast a few weeks ago suggested we'd signed a backrow (who they felt would help us be a top 4 team next year) and there's not that many top drawer Backrow's on the market so it's an odd one so Rhodes just about fits the bill adding depth to the squad, but yes primarily because he's a decent back row leaving his club.

Kruis died a death because I think he's sighed an extension in Japan.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Thanks TFS, it's as I thought....we don't know anything !
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:01 pm Thanks TFS, it's as I thought....we don't know anything !
Yeah they're all wild stabs in the dark because the club doesn't appear to leak like a sieve anymore, which is a good thing.

Another wild thought

Sergio Parrise is out of contract isn't he, could he be our phantom back rower?

Ain't wild speculation fun!
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

I personally think that we need another winger. I think we generally lack pace and a quick winger with a bit of pace and trickery could really add another dimension to us as a side and could go a long way in taking us to the next level.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Goodevibrations wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:33 pm I personally think that we need another winger. I think we generally lack pace and a quick winger with a bit of pace and trickery could really add another dimension to us as a side and could go a long way in taking us to the next level.
One assumes that’s where Jordan O is perceived to fit in as he hasn’t been let go of.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:36 pm
Goodevibrations wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:33 pm I personally think that we need another winger. I think we generally lack pace and a quick winger with a bit of pace and trickery could really add another dimension to us as a side and could go a long way in taking us to the next level.
One assumes that’s where Jordan O is perceived to fit in as he hasn’t been let go of.
Really hoping Van Wyk steps up next season. He was running tries in for fun in Super Rugby before he signed and has a great all round game - a bit like Thompstone.

Sometimes he’s looked good this season, others disinterested. If he gets his act together could smash it next season.

I could see Olowofela and Worth going back out on loan.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Having seen the leavers list this means we have the following back 3 players in our squad for next season. (Or have played there)

Aspland-Robinson
Burns
Browning
Hegarty
Moroni
Murimurivalu
Nadolo
Olowafela
Porter
Potter
Steward
Simmons
Van Wyk
Worth
Possibly even Williams if he's still with us.

That's a LOT of players, can't see us signing any more unless a few of those go on loan again
Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rod »

With Olowafela and Worth, if they are not good enough now, I can't see a loan spell making them better.